Fukudome to the Cubs

Balta1701

QUOTE(joeynach @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:46 PM)
I dont think anyone doubted that hes overpayed. He 100% is. But what else was KW gonna do. Trot out Bukvich and Dewon Day again, go bring Riske back. I mean Linebrink might not be Joba Chamberlin what what are other options did we have to improve our pen.

Your right but I think this was a pressure deal as well as the Garland - Cab deal. We needed to upgrade the pen and KW obviously has no problem overpaying this guy. We did have no other options but i think a 4/14 would have made a ton of more sense, and saved us 5 mil. to get another piece of the chances we let go earlier this offseason.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think anyone doubted that hes overpayed. He 100% is. But what else was KW gonna do. Trot out Bukvich and Dewon Day again, go bring Riske back. I mean Linebrink might not be Joba Chamberlin what what are other options did we have to improve our pen.

The Linebrink signing is basically a nothing signing to me. He's not going to hinder or help our chances greatly considering our current state. If anything, by signing him to such a large deal, he is keeping us from giving out a huge contract to a CF. Hopefully that's the case.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:50 PM)
There were other options out there -- the Japanese relievers signed by CLE and KC. The Sox were supposedly interested in the guy that signed with KC.

The other option is to give Broadway, Egbert, Aardsma (at least he was briefly good last year), Gio, Haegar, and MacDougal shots at jobs and save the money.

I would have liked the Japanese way. Wish we would have signed both for 2/9.5 deal. Would have signed them to that without even seeing them pitch. Japanese players are extremely disciplined and have amazing work ethics. And that would have filled 2 relief spots instead of 1 and taken 2 Japanese relievers away from our rivals

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:50 PM)
There were other options out there -- the Japanese relievers signed by CLE and KC. The Sox were supposedly interested in the guy that signed with KC.

The other option is to give Broadway, Egbert, Aardsma (at least he was briefly good last year), Gio, Haegar, and MacDougal shots at jobs and save the money.

I think some of those guys still will get a shot. I think we all forget how thin our pen was/is. I remember hearing coop on the score before thanksgiving saying its basically going to be Jenks, Macdougal, Thornton, Linebrink, Wasserman, Logan, and 1 of the Gio/Broadway/Egbert contigent.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:58 PM)
I would have liked the Japanese way. Wish we would have signed both for 2/9.5 deal. Would have signed them to that without even seeing them pitch. Japanese players are extremely disciplined and have amazing work ethics. And that would have filled 2 relief spots instead of 1 and taken 2 Japanese relievers away from our rivals

Im not saying they have to throw hard to be effective, but I think the knock on going the Japanese way is that they typically dont over 90. And in the AL i think its rather imperative to have a good life on your fastball. I dont really know much about the two japanese guys in question but Im just generalizing.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)
It just seems like KW doesn't have a good feel for the current market that baseball is existing in. I still cringe at the thought that he believed he would outbid everyone for T. Hunter

He did outbid 28/29 teams. So he was like 95% right on that one.

I can't believe the Angels are paying Gary Matthews and Torii Hunter $140 million.

The Angels are paying Gary Matthews and Torii Hunter $140 million.

Thank you. Of course he's overpaid. He was a free agent. I'm still waiting for anyone to give one single instance of a free agent (without injury concerns) not getting overpaid. As overpayment goes, how much did we overpay by? A few million. 3? 4? 5? How much did Hunter get overpaid by? $20 million? 25? 30?

The slow painful march to the point where we are sitting out in the Free Agent market with nothing but Aaron Rowand left to sign has finally occurred. I would say I'm surprised but lets be honest, this was obvious.

So if the options are 4 yrs/$55 million for Rowand, trading for Juan Pierre or having Owens starting in the outfield can we punt the ball away?

We need to cut our losses at this point and just start rebuilding. We're currently the 4th or 5th best team in the AL Central. When you're closer to the bottom of the AL than the top isn't it time to start cutting your losses? All this talk of competing is silly.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 12:29 AM)
Kotex boy probably blew a nut over the cubs signing Fukadome. Its gives him another opportunity to attack his favorite obsession, Reinsdorf.

His act is tired, but so is Kenny's.

Am I the only one who would rather have Fukodome for 4/48 than Rowand for the same price?

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)
He did outbid 28/29 teams. So he was like 95% right on that one.

I can't believe the Angels are paying Gary Matthews and Torii Hunter $140 million.

The Angels are paying Gary Matthews and Torii Hunter $140 million.

I was talking with a couple die hard baseball friends of mine. Both told me that they heard the reason the Angels kinda of came out of nowhere is because KW let his contract offer go public. Basically it shook down like Hunter was all set to sign with the sox, then for whatever reason KW or his people informed the media that they were close to signing Hunter for 5/75. At this point the Angels stepped in becuase they thought the bidding was already over 90 Mil and by KW or the sox public decree that it was still at 75 Mil the Angels thus decided to spend a few extra mil a year to make him an Angel. Wow wouldn't that be so KW. If its true he should lose his job instantly, anyone should.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 12:16 AM)
Thank you. Of course he's overpaid. He was a free agent. I'm still waiting for anyone to give one single instance of a free agent (without injury concerns) not getting overpaid. As overpayment goes, how much did we overpay by? A few million. 3? 4? 5? How much did Hunter get overpaid by? $20 million? 25? 30?

What about Matt Wise who just got DFA'd by the Brewers. Hes not lights out but hes pretty effective, a high 3 or low 4 ERA guy. Hes got pretty good numbers against lefties I think their career BA off him is just .225. Would serve well against AL central foes with the likes of Hafner, Morneau, Maur, VMart, Sizemore, etc.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 12:34 AM)
At this point, just blow it the f*** up and start over.

I am 100% with you. But doens't that involve KW ditching the "plan" and swallowing his pride on what he has laid forth. He got beat in the trade and FA markets, it happens and will happen again. Thats the nature of the game, uncertainty. We all know how stubborn this guy is though. At some point plan 1-F just cant be really that much better, if it all, then just letting the kids play and develop. I swear KW and Lovie Smith must be related.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 06:16 AM)

Not only did we overpay by a couple million, we overpaid by at least a year. We also overpaid by giving him a NTC.

And there are plenty of instances of guys getting underpaid in free agency. Is it really necessary to list each and every one of them? Okajima is one -- if you really believe that EVERYONE is overpaid in free agency, I'd question your thinking.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 12:45 AM)
Not only did we overpay by a couple million, we overpaid by at least a year. We also overpaid by giving him a NTC.

And there are plenty of instances of guys getting underpaid in free agency. Is it really necessary to list each and every one of them? Okajima is one -- if you really believe that EVERYONE is overpaid in free agency, I'd question your thinking.

You also forgot that a team who ranks as one of the worst minor league systems might not be too keen on giving up any draft picks via signing said overpaid type A free agent.

At this point, just blow it the f*** up and start over.

I'd like to say it would lighten things up around here a little. I dont know if it wouldn't. We'd tear KW apart if he made bad moves, which he probably will. I am not sure if I am comfortable with KW having his hands on the rebuilding process.

I'd give him one big move to start and see how it looks. If he makes a poor choice, then I'd seriously consider letting Hahn takeover. It'd be bad if he messes this up any further then he already has.

Promote him for a job well done in 05'. Let him be an advisor and have say in deals because I feel he is still somewhat respected around the league but not a decisive say.

This offseason could turn out to be a lot of fun if they go that route. I'd wait til after X-mas so you don't spoil holiday's for some players. There is a long time until the season starts.

I am sure we will all analyze the moves and have our problems but at least they're moves. At least we know we are freeing up salary and adding a lot of young talent to our farm. Talent that could help us on their own by being a part of the team, or by netting a superstar when we are ready to compete.

I have a nice thought in my head but I don't want to turn this into a rumor section. It's a nice starting point with Paulie and an AL West team (not who you think) and I bet it would nab us a nice return.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
Ha.

Well so much for him desperate for a 3 year deal. $13M a season is a lot for an unproven OF in the MLB, but that's the current market.

Right now it looks like Rowand for the Sox, unless they want to get back in the Crisp negotiations.

I'll be shocked if we acquire Pierre fathom.

I think it'll be Crisp, and I think we'll overpay for him.

But, then, I thought that after we missed on Hunter.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 12:47 AM)
You also forgot that a team who ranks as one of the worst minor league systems might not be too keen on giving up any draft picks via signing said overpaid type A free agent.

Unless it's the year in which they have the #8 pick, so getting the Type-A free agent only means losing pick #60 or so, not #20.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
KW failed last offseason, he failed last season, and he's doing awful so far this season. Can't we promote him to some higher position, and let someone else take over? Something that's killed us in our trade chances this offseason is how bad all the young arms we acquired last year have been.

Bingo. Last year's Kenny Williams cry-baby-fest about "the market" and "a correction" resulted in Aardsma, Sisco and Heartburn. About 72 wins -- and only 72 wins - later, we're a bottom-feeder and look like it: you think Torii Hunter and Fukudume couldn't see that? Thanks, Kenny, for your plan last year. It's been a boon for this year, too.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 12:36 AM)
What about Matt Wise who just got DFA'd by the Brewers. Hes not lights out but hes pretty effective, a high 3 or low 4 ERA guy. Hes got pretty good numbers against lefties I think their career BA off him is just .225. Would serve well against AL central foes with the likes of Hafner, Morneau, Maur, VMart, Sizemore, etc.

What is his deal? I thought I read something about him, not injury, not drugs but some other circumstance that seemed to be a reason (and perhaps not a good reason) why the Brewers were letting him go (in addition to the fact that they just signed a couple relievers. Anyway, he's a free agent now. Let's see how he makes out.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 12:54 AM)
Unless it's the year in which they have the #8 pick, so getting the Type-A free agent only means losing pick #60 or so, not #20.

Take a gander at the craptitude that is our farm system. The number 60 pick is an upgrade over some of the filth we have down there.

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 01:01 AM)
God, this is so true.

On the funny note,

1.) You will have silly cub fans wearing bandannas from the Karate Kid.

2.) Some dumb cub fans will get a tattoo with something silly written in japanese. They will think it says strength or go cubs, but in reality it will say "Please poop on me"

3.) Santo attempting to say his name.

4.) Santo yelling a racial slur the minute Fukudome drops the ball.

5.) The first time Fukudome sees the fans bowing to him, followed by them trashing the field when he forgets to tag 2nd.

6.) Ronny Woo wearing some sort of japanese crap because someone gave the homeless bum a new outfit.

Someone needs to find the Japanese representation for 1908 for the new cubs suck shirts this year.