White Sox hope to rise from the ashes in 2008

GreatScott82

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
When the big fish get away, you are left with minnows.

Then stick with our minnows and see if one of them develops a genetic mutation that turns them into a bigger fish than we expected. Instead of giving away 2/3 of our minnows for 1-2 other minnows that someone else has because everyone out there says the minnows in the next lagoon are prettier.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
Then stick with our minnows and see if one of them develops a genetic mutation that turns them into a bigger fish than we expected. Instead of giving away 2/3 of our minnows for 1-2 other minnows that someone else has because everyone out there says the minnows in the next lagoon are prettier.

At this point you are right.

If no other moves are made, I think that a 5 player consistent platoon should happen. Quentin, Owens and Dye are the regular OF. Against LHP move Quentin to RF, Owens to LF and Anderson in Center, along with Dye at DH. Platoon Quentin and Anderson every now and then, sliding Owens to LF with Anderson in center. Have the LHP lineup every now and then to give Thome and Dye a rest. Quentin and Anderson each get 350+ AB. This is Anderson's last shot to prove that he can play at the big leagues. If BA gets his head out of his ass, then he could still be something.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE(Elgin Slim @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 06:09 PM)
If no other moves are made, I think that a 5 player consistent platoon should happen. Quentin, Owens and Dye are the regular OF. Against LHP move Quentin to RF, Owens to LF and Anderson in Center, along with Dye at DH. Platoon Quentin and Anderson every now and then, sliding Owens to LF with Anderson in center. Have the LHP lineup every now and then to give Thome and Dye a rest. Quentin and Anderson each get 350+ AB. This is Anderson's last shot to prove that he can play at the big leagues. If BA gets his head out of his ass, then he could still be something.

I really don't want to see Brian Anderson starting off the season in the big leagues. I think the best thing for both the Sox and for him is for him to start one more season in AAA and have to earn his spot in the big leagues by hitting down there again. If he'd had more success when he went down last year I'd be of a different mind, but I can't see calling him up as the appropriate thing to do until he at least shows he's got his head back enough to hit AAA pitching. And barring injury, I want to see Quentin starting every day to start the season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 08:14 PM)
I really don't want to see Brian Anderson starting off the season in the big leagues. I think the best thing for both the Sox and for him is for him to start one more season in AAA and have to earn his spot in the big leagues by hitting down there again. If he'd had more success when he went down last year I'd be of a different mind, but I can't see calling him up as the appropriate thing to do until he at least shows he's got his head back enough to hit AAA pitching. And barring injury, I want to see Quentin starting every day to start the season.

Wasn't Anderson having wrist problems after he went down to AAA? I know he had surgery in June or something. Could that possibly be the reason why he only hit .255 in Charlotte?

QUOTE(Elgin Slim @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 06:21 PM)
Wasn't Anderson having wrist problems after he went down to AAA? I know he had surgery in June or something. Could that possibly be the reason why he only hit .255 in Charlotte?

Yes, he was hurt several times last year in the minors, which is no small part of the reason why I want him starting in the minors. He didn't get a chance to really work on what he might have needed to work on after going back down last season because except for the first week or two, he was hurt the whole season. I think I want him playing every day in a league he has bested before to try that last chance at getting his career back on track, and I don't think playing 1 time every 7 days when Ozzie decides to put him in is going to do it.

QUOTE(Elgin Slim @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)

It was an injury he had coming out of college. The first surgery he had was to "clean it up" instead of repairing the damage, in hope that it would take care of the problem and he could begin his pro career and development sooner. It flaired up again and he had it repair this year. The rehab was longer but hopefully it will take care of it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)

I swear sometimes I think I'm a regular at a bass fishing forum.

I think that I can live with Owens as our Centerfielder and lead-off hitter. It's better having him than Lofton (starting) or Patterson right now. I think if anything, they should sign a veteran to be on the bench such as Lofton in case Quentin or Owens falter.

I would anticipate that the Sox make a run after Garcia, Colon or Fogg for the rotation. It would baffle me if KW decided not to pursue a veteran for the rotation. What non-roster invitees for the bullpen could Merkin be talking about in his article?

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE(The Beast @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:21 AM)
I think that I can live with Owens as our Centerfielder and lead-off hitter. It's better having him than Lofton (starting) or Patterson right now. I think if anything, they should sign a veteran to be on the bench such as Lofton in case Quentin or Owens falter.

I would anticipate that the Sox make a run after Garcia, Colon or Fogg for the rotation. It would baffle me if KW decided not to pursue a veteran for the rotation. What non-roster invitees for the bullpen could Merkin be talking about in his article?

I'd start Lofton over Owens and then hope you can just trade him later on in the season. I do not, however, see Lofton being signed because of the circumstances he left under.

QUOTE(Elgin Slim @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:21 AM)

He had wrist problems after we drafted him and he was sent to rookie ball at Great Falls. The wrist was a college injury. It still may be a problem.