2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 28, 2008 -> 06:50 AM)
Well, you said you'd take a guy who can hit 30 homers over a guy who can hit 150 singles. Did you expect the guy with 150 singles not to have any extra base hits?

And as for a DH, who wouldn't take the guy who can hit 40 homers with a .290+ average?

No I wouldn't expect dude with 180 hits to walk 65times too, because that's pretty much what he's doing in your scenario with 550 at bats.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, who's he kidding.

Moronotti writes his column on Chicago civic baseball pride.

Cmon.

The guy needed to jump on the Cubs' weaknesses after the two losses like he would have had the Sox lost.

What a dope. He hasn't yet figured out if the Cubs are a 100 win team this year and runaway winner, so he's waiting to start to bag on them.

What a jerk.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2008 -> 11:32 PM)
Wow, who's he kidding.

Moronotti writes his column on Chicago civic baseball pride.

Cmon.

The guy needed to jump on the Cubs' weaknesses after the two losses like he would have had the Sox lost.

What a dope. He hasn't yet figured out if the Cubs are a 100 win team this year and runaway winner, so he's waiting to start to bag on them.

What a jerk.

It also has to do with the fact that he absolutely hates anything and everything the White Sox do.

on another, more pleasant note...after today's game, only two of the Sox hitter's in the lineup they put out today are hitting below .270; what's better is that only 1 of them is not a regular.

Oh, and Alexei Ramirez is right at the .300 mark. He's gonna be really good. Bureau said you don't find a steal for $4.75 mill over 4 years, but, at this point - given, it's been half a year - I'll disagree. He's not going to be Soriano in the power department, but a lightning quick swing, good power to all fields, and improving defense at 2B - yeah, he's a super keeper. Consider me a huge fan of Alexei now that he's gotten a bit used to MLB pitching. I'd like to think his average will stay at .300 all season and that, come sometime shortly after the ASB, he'll be moved to the 2 hole with Pierzynski moved back to his traditional 6 or 7 hole and the lineup could be crazy good.

to continue with my domination of this thread, I'll also throw out Adrian Beltre as my sleeper to take over at 3B for the Sox next year. He should be cheap to trade for, depending upon how much he improves his OPS over the next 3 months (crazy 1st half-2nd half splits in his career - .745/.827 1st/2nd half OPS in his career) and if he's still even on the Mariners come a month a 3 days from now. However, it's his walk year next year, and the only other walk year he had, he set all-time records for 3Bman. I wouldn't expect 48 homers, but 30 or more homers and potentially a draft pick or two out of the whole deal would be pretty sweet. You could also potentially get Seattle to take the $6 mill Dotel is earned in 2009 too, but I imagine that would cost a bit more.

If I had to throw it out there right now, I'd say Fields, Dotel, and Broadway for Beltre and some so-so prospect who is in A ball for them right now come the offseason.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 05:31 AM)
to continue with my domination of this thread, I'll also throw out Adrian Beltre as my sleeper to take over at 3B for the Sox next year. He should be cheap to trade for, depending upon how much he improves his OPS over the next 3 months (crazy 1st half-2nd half splits in his career - .745/.827 1st/2nd half OPS in his career) and if he's still even on the Mariners come a month a 3 days from now. However, it's his walk year next year, and the only other walk year he had, he set all-time records for 3Bman. I wouldn't expect 48 homers, but 30 or more homers and potentially a draft pick or two out of the whole deal would be pretty sweet. You could also potentially get Seattle to take the $6 mill Dotel is earned in 2009 too, but I imagine that would cost a bit more.

If I had to throw it out there right now, I'd say Fields, Dotel, and Broadway for Beltre and some so-so prospect who is in A ball for them right now come the offseason.

What did you have last night? That would be a god awful trade, even if Beltre does raise his average to .260 with an OPS just above .800 (with an OBP around .320-330). Why would you trade a thirdbaseman with the offensive upside of Fields, plus a decent pitching prospect and a good but not great reliever for a guy who MIGHT have a good season due to it being his contract year. Come on now, that trade would be beyond stupid.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 02:09 AM)
on another, more pleasant note...after today's game, only two of the Sox hitter's in the lineup they put out today are hitting below .270; what's better is that only 1 of them is not a regular.

Oh, and Alexei Ramirez is right at the .300 mark. He's gonna be really good. Bureau said you don't find a steal for $4.75 mill over 4 years, but, at this point - given, it's been half a year - I'll disagree. He's not going to be Soriano in the power department, but a lightning quick swing, good power to all fields, and improving defense at 2B - yeah, he's a super keeper. Consider me a huge fan of Alexei now that he's gotten a bit used to MLB pitching. I'd like to think his average will stay at .300 all season and that, come sometime shortly after the ASB, he'll be moved to the 2 hole with Pierzynski moved back to his traditional 6 or 7 hole and the lineup could be crazy good.

It took one swing from him in spring trainging for me to say that he should start at 2B over Uribe. He might not have "Soriano" power, but I think he's got 20-30 homer power without K'ing well over 100 times like Soriano. As Ramirez gets more used to MLB pitching, the walk numbers will rise as well. Like A.J. said yesterday in the post-game conference, Ramirez is an all-star in the waiting. As of now, it's between him and Longoria for AL ROY. However, Longoria will probably get it since he has those sexy power numbers.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 07:12 AM)
What did you have last night? That would be a god awful trade, even if Beltre does raise his average to .260 with an OPS just above .800 (with an OBP around .320-330). Why would you trade a thirdbaseman with the offensive upside of Fields, plus a decent pitching prospect and a good but not great reliever for a guy who MIGHT have a good season due to it being his contract year. Come on now, that trade would be beyond stupid.

Yeah I was drunk, but I still think Beltre is a sleeper to be a candidate for 3B.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
Yeah I was drunk, but I still think Beltre is a sleeper to be a candidate for 3B.

But he definitely isnt worth the package of players that you suggested in trying to aquire him. I do think Beltre could definitely still be a great offensive player especially if team is in playoff contention, contract year, and in our park... but given his performance in Seattle he should be worth very very little.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
But he definitely isnt worth the package of players that you suggested in trying to aquire him. I do think Beltre could definitely still be a great offensive player especially if team is in playoff contention, contract year, and in our park... but given his performance in Seattle he should be worth very very little.

Right, hence my previous post

Good stuff on Alexei. He just seems like a guy who can hit naturally.

Just like Quentin.

They both look like the real deal. Hope Carlos' struggles a couple weeks ago just were natural struggles every hitter has in a season.

Is anybody else still waiting for Thome to get red hot and at least get to .260???

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
Is anybody else still waiting for Thome to get red hot and at least get to .260???

You know I have cursed bloody murder at the TV for the past 3 months every time he comes up to bat but I have a feeling he is going to start to breakout on a pretty good run within the next couple of days and keep it for a month or so.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 03:09 AM)

I know I'm in the minority here, have been all along, but I still love AJP in the 2nd slot. He's hitting quite well there, making a high rate of contact, and even laid down a couple decent bunts. Don't mess with it until its broken.

Alexei is just a stud. We pretty much found a 5 tool player for absolutely nothing, doesn't get much better than that.

And on to the other stud, how about that homer by CQ last night? It almost looked like he half swung a pitch out of the park. Absolutely ridiculous power.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 03:09 AM)

He doesn't have Soriano power but I'd bet he'll be a 20 homer guy(obviously not this year), he does have some good power.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
Alexei is just a stud. We pretty much found a 5 tool player for absolutely nothing, doesn't get much better than that.

And on to the other stud, how about that homer by CQ last night? It almost looked like he half swung a pitch out of the park. Absolutely ridiculous power.

Yeah, but if not for the wind, that's an out. Man, the wind helped us out big time yesterday. All 3 homers were homers because of it.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
Yeah, but if not for the wind, that's an out. Man, the wind helped us out big time yesterday. All 3 homers were homers because of it.

How were all 3 wind-aided? I'd agree on Quentins, but Dye's was smashed and Alexei's was similar to the 2B he hit. And if they were, why didn't Crede's go out? Or Alexei's 2B? Or both of Lee's 2B's?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 05:41 PM)
How were all 3 wind-aided? I'd agree on Quentins, but Dye's was smashed and Alexei's was similar to the 2B he hit. And if they were, why didn't Crede's go out? Or Alexei's 2B? Or both of Lee's 2B's?

JD's got in on him and just kept carrying, and Alexei's double was actually hit harder than his home run.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)

I love Beltre and moving him from safeco to the cell would do wonders for his numbers, but giving up that much would be a poor idea and that is coming from someone who doesn't think highly of Josh Fields.

I was watching game one of the World Series on DVD the other night, and it was unbelievable watching Jenks dominate. Don't get me wrong, he's been great the last two years, but I just don't have the same confidence that I used to with him. He can still throw 95-96, but he doesn't try to blow the high fastball by anyone now. It's amazing how he's a completely different pitcher now.