Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

Now I know it was against Sacramento State, but this might be the best college debut I have ever seen in terms of numbers. Michael Beasley had 32 points on 12-20 shooting (7-11 at the line, 1-2 on 3's) and 24 rebounds (12 offensive), with 4 assists, 8 turnovers, 2 steals, 4 blocks, and 3 fouls in 32 minutes. Wow.

Other more than noteable debuts for freshman:

DeJuan Blair (Pitt): 20 points, 14 rebounds, 4 steals

Kevin Love (UCLA): 22 points, 13 rebounds

James Anderson (Oklahoma State): 29 points, 5 dimes, 4 rebounds, 3 steals

Also, among non freshman, Richard Hendrix had 22 points and 23 rebounds for Alabama, and Junior Hairston had 26 points and 21 rebounds for Drexel. It was awesome box score night or something I think.

Oh, and N.C. Greensboro won 83-74 at Georgia Tech thanks a to domiant 2nd half and Belmont won 86-75 at Cincinnati. Go figure.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely horrible news for Saluki fans. Josh Bone has seperated his shoulder and no one is really sure how long he is out for. He is our most talented guard and I've said before that I thought he'd be our leading scorer this year. This is bad, bad news for SIU fans.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 01:54 AM)
Absolutely horrible news for Saluki fans. Josh Bone has seperated his shoulder and no one is really sure how long he is out for. He is our most talented guard and I've said before that I thought he'd be our leading scorer this year. This is bad, bad news for SIU fans.

OUCH that hurts, Bone was going to be your 6th man/instant offense player wasn't he? He's certainly the best shooter you guys have either way. Will you move Carlton Fay into the starting lineup and go away from the 3 guard lineup now, because other than Clemmons, Mullins, and Green, you have very little at guard if Bone is not available.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 02:01 AM)
OUCH that hurts, Bone was going to be your 6th man/instant offense player wasn't he? He's certainly the best shooter you guys have either way. Will you move Carlton Fay into the starting lineup and go away from the 3 guard lineup now, because other than Clemmons, Mullins, and Green, you have very little at guard if Bone is not available.

He was going to be our 6th man(Lowery obviously loves D and he was going to start our 5 best defenders) but he's literally our most talented offensive player and I'm not exaggerating here. He can shoot, he's a really smart player(he had a whole 2 turnovers last season), he can drive to the hole and he's just a smooth ball handler, he really doesn't have a weakness offensively.

As for Fay, he's still going to come off the bench(Mullins, Clemmons, Green, Shaw, Falker are starting) but you'll probably see a ton of Shaw, Fay and Falker all in together now. Trust me here but Fay has one of the nicest shots I've ever seen, the form on his shot is absolutely gorgeous and he's obviously strong as hell, he's a polished offensive player already. Once again though, he has a lot to work to do defensively(he positioned himself awfully the first exhibition game, he just looked lost on defense). Fay is going to make an impact this season but he has a lot of work to do and CLo isn't going to give him a ton of minutes until he learns what he needs to do defensively.

Our other freshman who is going to have a huge role now is Brandon Wood, he's a better shoot than Bone but overall he's no where near the offensive player that Josh is. Once again though, as the case with Fay, he is not a very good defender right now. Problem is, now he's our only other pg on this team(Bone was most likely going to back up Bryan) and he's pretty much going to have to learn on the job. Brandon has a high skill set offensively, he's a scorer and a good one but it's just a hard thing to throw a frosh into the fire like this considering the style that this team plays. Unfortunately, he's going to have to produce right away now.

The wild card is Christian Cornelius. He redshirted his frosh year and was injured all last year. I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about him cause he just hasn't played but he's supposedly a very talented tweener(he can play guard or down low, he's 6'7") but he looked very slow in the first game and how couldn't he? He hasn't played in two years. If he can get into shape, he'll be huge for this team but I just don't have a lot of faith as far as he's concerned, too much to overcome.

Basically, after all that non sense I just said, we need Bone, it's that simple. He is such a talented offensive player and he was going to be a huge part of this team. The freshman need to step up huge now. I love Wood and Fay but it would have been nice to just ease them in, instead of having to rush them. Hopefully Josh can get healthy soon, cause we need this kid and badly.

Sometimes early season injuries like that can help a team in the long run. They will now have to find other ways to score and other players to rely on, while building depth at the same time.

Survive early and they will be stronger later in the year.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 10:10 AM)
Sometimes early season injuries like that can help a team in the long run. They will now have to find other ways to score and other players to rely on, while building depth at the same time.

Survive early and they will be stronger later in the year.

I agree in theory. Here's the problem with that, in 2 weeks there is a possibility that we start a stretch against Miss State, USC and IU, it'd be nice to be at full strength.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 01:57 AM)
Still just an exhibition, but IU leads Pembroke 52-35 at the half. It's bombs away for Eric Gordon with 24. If this team can actually play some defense, this team might be dangerous.

Jamarcus Ellis is really disappointing tonight. He's very lazy with his passing, and his defense is bad. Already looks like Crawford is going to be taking his place in the lineup.

Marquette squeaked by IUPUI. I didn't think we played that badly -- a little sloppy on defense and some scoring droughts, but not terrible -- but IUPUI had a really tough player, George Hill I want to say his name is. I believe he was named the pre-season conference (whatever IUPUI's conference is) player of the year -- kid's definitely a player.

Watching Maurice and Jerel is fun stuff. Those two are a whole bowl of fun on the defensive end.

Edited by CWSGuy406

Wisonsin plays IUPUI tonight at 5pm on the BTN.

Should be interesting to see the new Badgers squad and how Bo does his rotation.

Predicted Starting Line UP:

C- Butch

PF- Greg Steisma

SF- Marcus Landry

SG- Joe Krabbenhoft

PG- Mike Flowers

Butch and Steisma are interchangaeble, I put Butch at C because I think he is the better player and he will be starting regardless. Steisma may be on the bench, but Im going wtih an all upper class starting line up, because thats what Bo Ryan would do. Potentially Flowers could be SG, Trevon Hughes PG, Krabbenhoft SF, and Landry PF, but these questions will eb answered later.

I really like Jon Leur a freshman PF/SF from Minnesota I believe. So far has looked like one of the Badgers most talented players already, I believe hes 6'10 but they have had him defend even guards in exhibition. He grew a lot in HS, so he started off as a guard and then became a big man, which is why he has pretty good ball skills etc.

Trevon Hughes is the key to the Badgers at pg though. If he can play to his ability, the Badgers may actually be better than last year. Some questions as to who will score points, but im thinking you are going to see about 5 players in double digits each night, no real guy as "the" scorer. Landry was supposed to be, but just has not shown it so far in the exhibitions. In fact, I already see Leur pushing him for playing time.