Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 09:16 AM)
Interesting read, yes, but if thats a preview, then I'm a monkey's uncle. What kind of preview hardly talks about half of the teams in a conference?

I think it's the first of a multi-part preview. It does have a subhead "Overview", after all.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn last night I was going to come on here and say that I think Wisconsin could make a run at the Big 10, and now this guy has them tied for first.

If I get bored I might write up my feelings on this years Wisconsin team, Ive gotten to see both exhibitions so it is kind of nice to actually know what the players look like before the 7th game of the season.

You do realize Indiana only has 2 starters listed 6-9.

http://indiana.rivals.com/cbroster.asp

As a comparison, Wisconsin has: 4 players taller than 6'10, 1 player taller than 6'9.

Im not saying that height means everything, I just often look at Indiana and wonder how are they going to match up against bigger Big 10 schools.

MSU also has 4 guys who are bigger than 6'10.

Im not saying that will mean Indiana cant win, I just dont think they are as sure of a bet as some people like to think.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 05:48 PM)

As a comparison, Wisconsin has: 4 players taller than 6'10, 1 player taller than 6'9.

Im not saying that height means everything, I just often look at Indiana and wonder how are they going to match up against bigger Big 10 schools.

Im not saying that will mean Indiana cant win, I just dont think they are as sure of a bet as some people like to think.

size or no size indiana will be a bear for anyone this year. they'll have the best big man and arguably best guard in the league. their guard depth is really nice as well and i think bassett is probably one of the more underrated players in the league.

i can see issues for them if/when white has foul trouble, but i still don't think that will be a major issue.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)

All that means absolutely nothing to me. I really couldn't care less that Suton or Butch are an inch or two taller than DJ White, doesn't mean anything to me. Indiana is the best team in the big 10 and one of the better teams in the country, they aren't finishing 3rd in the big 10.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
All that means absolutely nothing to me. I really couldn't care less that Suton or Butch are an inch or two taller than DJ White, doesn't mean anything to me. Indiana is the best team in the big 10 and one of the better teams in the country, they aren't finishing 3rd in the big 10.

Exactly, Suton and Butch could not hold a candle to White. I don't know what the big deal is, we had NO trouble defending last year with even less depth down low as we were one of the better defensive teams in the country. Add Holman, Thomas, and McGee we are going to be set, especially since Holman was rated the best defensive big man to come out of the West. We have to be the most athletic team in the Big Ten and I can't wait to see the first official game on Monday!

The same white who averaged 14 pts and 7 rebounds in 31 minutes.

Is so much better than butch who averaged 9pts and 6 rebounds in 21 minutes.

And so much better than Sutton who averaged 9 pts and 7 rebounds in 27 minutes.

And even better than Morgan who has a frosh averaged 12 pts and 5 rebounds in 28 minutes.

Maybe DJ White will win the Big 10 Player of the Year (my guess is he wont), but even if we pencil him in as the best PF/C in the Big 10, the problem still is who plays the other big man position.

Hence why I listed that Indiana only has 2 big men. Teams like Wisconsin, MSU, will attack the inside with their height and strength advantage. Sure DJ is quick, but MSU has Morgan, and Wisconsin now has Leur. Both have size and the ability to step outside.

Last, winning the Big 10 this year may have nothing to do with the best team.

Indiana has to play at Wisconsin, at MSU, at Illinois, at OSU

MSU has to play at Indiana, at Wisconsin, at Illinois, at OSU

Wisconsin only plays at Indiana, at OSU, at Illinois

Hence if all 3 keep home court, Wisconsin has a half game advantage.

My feelings really are that Indiana will more likely be 3rd than 1st, but most likely finish second.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)

Indiana has at least 4 NBA caliber players on it's roster, two them probable lottery picks. They are also the most athletic team in the conference. They also have the best PF/C in conference. Lacking some height in a second big-man isn't going to make a difference. They'll win the Big Ten.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
The same white who averaged 14 pts and 7 rebounds in 31 minutes.

Is so much better than butch who averaged 9pts and 6 rebounds in 21 minutes.

And so much better than Sutton who averaged 9 pts and 7 rebounds in 27 minutes.

And even better than Morgan who has a frosh averaged 12 pts and 5 rebounds in 28 minutes.

Maybe DJ White will win the Big 10 Player of the Year (my guess is he wont), but even if we pencil him in as the best PF/C in the Big 10, the problem still is who plays the other big man position.

Hence why I listed that Indiana only has 2 big men. Teams like Wisconsin, MSU, will attack the inside with their height and strength advantage. Sure DJ is quick, but MSU has Morgan, and Wisconsin now has Leur. Both have size and the ability to step outside.

Last, winning the Big 10 this year may have nothing to do with the best team.

My feelings really are that Indiana will more likely be 3rd than 1st, but most likely finish second.

Also the same White that was the LONE bright spot on the Pan Am team this summer. He will be a totally different player this year and play much like he did at the end of last season. And I think your really sleeping on Holmans ability to shut down the blocks.

DJ White is the most overrated player in the Big Ten. I think Indiana will be good, only because they have an unstoppable traitor in Gordon. The team is good enough to keep them in games, but Gordon will ultimately win it for them.

My prediction:

MSU

ILL

IND

WISC

PUR

crap crap crap crap crap crap

(and yes, this is based mostly on my own Illinois bias, though I do think, based on what I've seen thus far, they are going to be better than most predict)

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 02:47 PM)
DJ White is the most overrated player in the Big Ten. I think Indiana will be good, only because they have an unstoppable traitor in Gordon. The team is good enough to keep them in games, but Gordon will ultimately win it for them.

My prediction:

MSU

ILL

IND

WISC

PUR

crap crap crap crap crap crap

(and yes, this is based mostly on my own Illinois bias, though I do think, based on what I've seen thus far, they are going to be better than most predict)

Is this traitor s*** going to start again. Jesus :chair

Indiana has at least 4 NBA caliber players on it's roster, two them probable lottery picks. They are also the most athletic team in the conference. They also have the best PF/C in conference. Lacking some height in a second big-man isn't going to make a difference. They'll win the Big Ten

Who are the 2 lottery picks?

Gordon and ?

I really doubt White goes in the top 15 (thats a lottery pick right?)

And Jenks,

How can you say Indiana wont finish 1st or 2nd, your just an idiot. No one could possibly see any holes in that team. (lol)

And I think Illinois may surprise some people, but surprise equals finishing 4th ahead of OSU.

Wisconsin is better than last years team, just they dont have the name recognition of Tucker. And honestly watching the Badgers this year, Im glad Tucker is gone. He was great for Wisconsin, dont get me wrong. For a few years he was the man, but the Badger talent keeps getting better and Tucker was a tweener. He was to small to really be a paint player (where he was most effective) and did not have the shot to be a dominant outside guy. He found his points, but often Wisconsin would just force the offense through him.

There of course is also the chance without a go to player like Tucker, Wisconsin will fall apart. But hey, Ill let some one else come in here and say that.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)
DJ White is the most overrated player in the Big Ten.

I disagree. I could see how you'd believe that while watching the beginning of last season but he was fantastic at the end. One could argue that it took him a while to get back into playing shape after missing the majority of the last season. DJ White has become a great player and he's certainly not overrated imo.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 01:42 PM)
Indiana has at least 4 NBA caliber players on it's roster, two them probable lottery picks. They are also the most athletic team in the conference. They also have the best PF/C in conference. Lacking some height in a second big-man isn't going to make a difference. They'll win the Big Ten.

I'd be interested to see if they are still considered the most athletic team in the Big Ten when the season ends, there are so many questions marks with a TON of top freshman coming into the league.

With that said, OSU with all its height last year had a hell of a time with DJ White, his height means nothing to his talent, hes a horse.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)
Who are the 2 lottery picks?

Gordon and ?

I really doubt White goes in the top 15 (thats a lottery pick right?)

And Jenks,

How can you say Indiana wont finish 1st or 2nd, your just an idiot. No one could possibly see any holes in that team. (lol)

And I think Illinois may surprise some people, but surprise equals finishing 4th ahead of OSU.

Wisconsin is better than last years team, just they dont have the name recognition of Tucker. And honestly watching the Badgers this year, Im glad Tucker is gone. He was great for Wisconsin, dont get me wrong. For a few years he was the man, but the Badger talent keeps getting better and Tucker was a tweener. He was to small to really be a paint player (where he was most effective) and did not have the shot to be a dominant outside guy. He found his points, but often Wisconsin would just force the offense through him.

There of course is also the chance without a go to player like Tucker, Wisconsin will fall apart. But hey, Ill let some one else come in here and say that.

My bet is White doesn't get drafted at all in day one. He's not that good. People are trying to jump on this Indiana bandwagon because of Gordon and a new coach. I just don't see it. As was stated earlier, they are a small team and are going to get beat up when they play the big boys. I don't think they'll be a bd team, far from it. But I'll consider them (sorry for this soxbadger) the Wisconsin of this years football season - totally overhyped because of what they have on paper.

As for Wisky - who is going to score points? I'm confident that Ryan is going to have another solid team - that's all he does is win - but I don't see where their points are going to come from.

As for Illinois - my thinking is that even with all of the crap that happened last year (just about everyone hurt, the dui's, etc) they still managed 23 wins, a close 4th place (should have been 3rd) finish in the big ten and an NCAA tourney bid (which they should have beaten v-tech but choked). This year they field an incredibly deep frontcourt with at least 4-5 guys, two guards that can actually penetrate and dish, and the team itself is healthy. So based on the fact that I assume they'll be better than last year, I'm looking at 4th place in the big ten as the worst case scenario, but a big win or two on the road and I think they have a shot at the conference title.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 03:12 PM)
My bet is White doesn't get drafted at all in day one. He's not that good. People are trying to jump on this Indiana bandwagon because of Gordon and a new coach. I just don't see it. As was stated earlier, they are a small team and are going to get beat up when they play the big boys. I don't think they'll be a bd team, far from it. But I'll consider them (sorry for this soxbadger) the Wisconsin of this years football season - totally overhyped because of what they have on paper.

As for Wisky - who is going to score points? I'm confident that Ryan is going to have another solid team - that's all he does is win - but I don't see where their points are going to come from.

As for Illinois - my thinking is that even with all of the crap that happened last year (just about everyone hurt, the dui's, etc) they still managed 23 wins, a close 4th place (should have been 3rd) finish in the big ten and an NCAA tourney bid (which they should have beaten v-tech but choked). This year they field an incredibly deep frontcourt with at least 4-5 guys, two guards that can actually penetrate and dish, and the team itself is healthy. So based on the fact that I assume they'll be better than last year, I'm looking at 4th place in the big ten as the worst case scenario, but a big win or two on the road and I think they have a shot at the conference title.

I guess I still do not understand how we are going to get "beat up" by the big boys when we return a far superior team to last years squad and last year we MORE than held our own. Maybe I'm just retarded though and can't see through my goggles.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
I guess I still do not understand how we are going to get "beat up" by the big boys when we return a far superior team to last years squad and last year we MORE than held our own. Maybe I'm just retarded though and can't see through my goggles.

It's all about the rebounds. Again, i'm not saying Indiana will be bad, I just don't see a dominating team that's going to rip through the Big Ten.

I'm not going to place the Big 10 teams in order, but I think IU and MSU are the top 2 (despite MSU's terrible exhibition play) and then OSU, Illinois, and Wisconsin are the other tourney teams and could finish anywhere from 3-5. Purdue has some nice freshmen, but return basically nothing, Michigan will be bad, PSU will pick off a couple of the good big ten teams but simply doesn't have the talent to do more than that. Minny, NW, and Iowa will all be freaking terrible.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
I'm not going to place the Big 10 teams in order, but I think IU and MSU are the top 2 (despite MSU's terrible exhibition play) and then OSU, Illinois, and Wisconsin are the other tourney teams and could finish anywhere from 3-5. Purdue has some nice freshmen, but return basically nothing, Michigan will be bad, PSU will pick off a couple of the good big ten teams but simply doesn't have the talent to do more than that. Minny, NW, and Iowa will all be freaking terrible.

this is about how i see it. i'd clearly put msu and iu at the top, then look at a tier of osu, wisconsin, and illinois fighting it out. the schedule will probably dictate who falls where among those top five more than the talent will, because that's usually the case. people overlook the schedule, and it's really important particularly in leagues where the talent is relatively similar.

i'd probably pick msu over indiana, then go wisconsin, ohio state, then illinois. illinois's league schedule doesn't help considering they only get to play iowa and northwestern once each.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
My bet is White doesn't get drafted at all in day one. He's not that good.

You're going to tell me that a guy who averaged 14, 7 and 2 blocks a game after basically not playing at all the previous season, isn't that good?

doctor,

Thats my point:

Last year OSU went 15-1, Wisconsin went 13-3, Indiana went 10-6.

OSU only lost to Wisconsin.

Wisconsin lost to OSU, Indiana, MSU (all away)

Indiana lost to OSU, Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State (all away) and lost to Illinois in the tourney.

Now here is what concerns me about just writing Indiana in as the Big 10 champ. They did not always win the games they should win on the road. Last year they had the advantage of only having to play Wisconsin at Bloomington, this year they will also have to play at Wisconsin.

So to answer the question about Indiana banging with the big boys, you beat Wisconsin 1 time at Indiana. Indiana did not successfully beat 1 big 10 power away from home. If this year stays the same, Indiana would be looking at 2nd-3rd place.

(edit)

And I think DJ will go in the first, just not a lottery (top 15 right). Off the top of my head I think there are about 5 guards who will go in the top 15, let alone other big men etc.

Edited by Soxbadger