Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

oh yeah, and wtf is the story with Caleb Campbell? The army isn't letting him play? I'm all for the army and getting all the soldiers you need, but that's just such bulls***...what better way is there to advertise than letting one of your own go on to the public stage and be a walking advertisement for the army?

It would just also be great if the army would allow people to leave if they were able to land another job that paid significantly more (perhaps 5 or 10 times more) and required said person to donate a certain amount of their paycheck to the army, or something along the lines. Perhaps it's slightly the wrong forum, but it's frustrating to see something like this.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 05:39 AM)
oh yeah, and wtf is the story with Caleb Campbell? The army isn't letting him play? I'm all for the army and getting all the soldiers you need, but that's just such bulls***...what better way is there to advertise than letting one of your own go on to the public stage and be a walking advertisement for the army?

It would just also be great if the army would allow people to leave if they were able to land another job that paid significantly more (perhaps 5 or 10 times more) and required said person to donate a certain amount of their paycheck to the army, or something along the lines. Perhaps it's slightly the wrong forum, but it's frustrating to see something like this.

It's a volunteer military. Campbell signed his name on that piece of paper knowing full well the Army would call all the shots. Why should the Army provide him a West Point education and then just let him walk away, or receive special treatment?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)
If you make enough money you can file a hardship if I'm not mistaken.

Pretty sure you need a family hardship to get a hardship discharge, "enough money" won't cut it.

Which is good. Every time people have been allowed to buy their way out of service, it's been bad news -- the NYC draft riots, the bitterness over college deferments during Vietnam. I think the Army is entirely right in this, except for the wavering. (Iirc, they initially said he could play, then changed course.)

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
Pretty sure you need a family hardship to get a hardship discharge, "enough money" won't cut it.

Which is good. Every time people have been allowed to buy their way out of service, it's been bad news -- the NYC draft riots, the bitterness over college deferments during Vietnam. I think the Army is entirely right in this, except for the wavering. (Iirc, they initially said he could play, then changed course.)

I don't remember the exact rule and to be honest I don't know the details of this situation, but if you can make a reasonable argument that you make a lot of money (talking high 6 figures, 7 figure salary) and that being on active duty impedes that, you can get an exception.

I do remember being in a unit once where the commander was talking about a reservist E-7 in the unit who was an exec somewhere who made probably more than any general in his civilian job, and saying how it made him proud to be commanding someone like that (he said he wanted to serve and that he was willing to take the financial hit).

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 04:53 AM)
It's a volunteer military. Campbell signed his name on that piece of paper knowing full well the Army would call all the shots. Why should the Army provide him a West Point education and then just let him walk away, or receive special treatment?

The strange thing is that they said he was going to be fine if he was drafted into the NFL, but then they reneged and told him they needed him anyways, and waited until the first day of training camp to do so.

If they wanted him, they should have just said so, and not let him get drafted and wait until training camp to come get him

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
I don't remember the exact rule and to be honest I don't know the details of this situation, but if you can make a reasonable argument that you make a lot of money (talking high 6 figures, 7 figure salary) and that being on active duty impedes that, you can get an exception.

I do remember being in a unit once where the commander was talking about a reservist E-7 in the unit who was an exec somewhere who made probably more than any general in his civilian job, and saying how it made him proud to be commanding someone like that (he said he wanted to serve and that he was willing to take the financial hit).

I dunno about this... Why did David Robinson serve for two years before playing?

If true, that would be one of the most monumentally stupid rules I've ever heard. You have to put your life on the line as originally agreed. Unless you're going to be really rich. Then you're excused.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:51 AM)
I dunno about this... Why did David Robinson serve for two years before playing?

If true, that would be one of the most monumentally stupid rules I've ever heard. You have to put your life on the line as originally agreed. Unless you're going to be really rich. Then you're excused.

Part of it is an urban legend among barracks lawyers but not entirely. I think maybe I explained that wrong. You can't just up and quit the military. But if, say, you suddenly became a millionaire and you're of some low rank and you're not a senior officer or something like that, your presence is disruptive to the general order of the unit and odds are they will discharge you (convenience of the government I believe it's called). On the other hand I think if you're a reservist and your budget is based off your civilian income, and being called to active duty for an extended period of time will hurt you financially, there is something that can be done about that too although I can't recall what exactly. In this case, from what I can tell, it doesn't sound like the guy has much of a leg to stand on.

Also I think some people overestimate the forward thinking involved here, or lack thereof... I'm almost positive he is nothing more than a number and nobody realized who he was until it was brought to their attention (if it even was).

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 08:30 AM)
The strange thing is that they said he was going to be fine if he was drafted into the NFL, but then they reneged and told him they needed him anyways, and waited until the first day of training camp to do so.

If they wanted him, they should have just said so, and not let him get drafted and wait until training camp to come get him

That's the military for you. Someone makes a decision, then gets overruled by a superior officer. Hence, the expression that the term military intelligence is an oxymoron. But that's always been been part of the equation.

Source: Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

The Chargers Wednesday released veteran WR Eric Parker. After six seasons with the team, Parker missed the second half of 2007 with a lingering foot injury, and became expendable in large part after the team acquired WR Chris Chambers in a midseason trade last year.

I work part time at my gym to get a free membership. Mike Hass is a member and last week he brought his girlfriend in as a guest. Holy crap she was hot. I had to tell her to sign in and my tongue literally got tied. It was embarrassing.

I think I said something along the lines of, "Pease whine in."

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 05:58 PM)
If you're bad enough to be replaced by Chambers, something's up.

Same Chris Chambers who has never had fewer than 677 receiving yards in a season, caught 66 balls last year for 970 yards? Not sure what you're thinking, Chambers is a damn good #2 receiver.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 03:25 AM)
LaMont Jordan released today by Oakland.

Let's bring everyone in!

We need some more Oline help than anything. Guard scares me and the current health of williams and kruetz make me very nervous. The Bears can win 10+ games scoring

1. They need to be good at killing the clock on offense (running the ball ect) . This keeps the defense off the field and fresh for the 4th quarter (unlike 2007)

2. The D needs to stay healthy (obvious)

That's it.

But it all starts at the line. # 2 is more possible if they can pull off # 1 . But, without a strong Oline I don't see that happening. They need another guard!

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 07:30 PM)
Where is Dan Bazuin, and why did we spend a 2nd rd pick on him?

In camp, and because JA always worries about the line first.

"Defensive end Dan Bazuin, on injured reserve all last season with a knee injury, has looked fast to the ball."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-28...0,7761069.story

Source: Roy Cummings, Tampa Bay Online

Roy Cummings of Tampa Bay Online is reporting that retired Green Bay QB Brett Favre was almost dealt to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Saturday. The sticking point in negotiations seems to be that Green Bay is holding out for a conditional first round pick if Favre plays a certain number of games or the team secures a playoff berth.

Thoughts??