Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
I like Rex more than Kyle, but I'll do my best to cheer and hope Kyle turns into a solid NFL QB.

I hope so too, but deep down I know he sucks and he is a career backup QB playing behind one of the worst lines in the NFL.

I personally can't stand Grossman and I also don't think Kyle is the answer but the Bears have back themselves into this corner and good luck to them this year but its going to be a very long season. With the Oline in shambles that it is you could have Brady back there and he wouldn't make that much of a difference IMO.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 05:26 PM)
I personally can't stand Grossman and I also don't think Kyle is the answer but the Bears have back themselves into this corner and good luck to them this year but its going to be a very long season. With the Oline in shambles that it is you could have Brady back there and he wouldn't make that much of a difference IMO.

This is how I feel as well.

Grossman has gotten chance after chance. Orton won 11 games as a starter, and I know it was far from all his doing, but does deserve a shot over Rex.

I dont think its over by a long shot. I havent seen either QB completely distinguish himself during the two games I have seen. Orton starts the first game and fumbles a drive away, and looks completely ineffective. Grossman starts the second game, gets exactly .01 seconds to make any decision, throws a pick(a tipped pick at that), and is ineffective.

Like everyone says, this position is going to be set up by the O-Line, and as of right now the O-line is just flat out awful.

As an outsider, I think Rex and Orton bring the same impact, just in different areas. I think Orton is going to be way more consistent and be a nice player, but he's not going to bring that "it" factor that could carry a team anywhere. He'll win a couple of games on his own, but only a couple(2) and no more than that. He'll also manage situations much better. With that said, I am going to miss Rex's gunslinger attitude. He throws the deep ball really accurate and does have that it factor. He just doesn't have consistency.

With that said, all the QB's will fail until the Bears actually have an O-Line worth a damn and some legit WR's. It's going to be a long year for you guys. A really long one.

This is my problem:

Grossman has gotten chance after chance.

True, and in the only season he started every game the Bears went to the super bowl.

Now Orton also started an entire season, 2005, the Bears did not go to the super bowl.

In Orton's season he posted 9 td's to 13 int.

In Grossman's season he posted 23 td to 20 int.

Orton had a rtg of 59.7 (lower than any Grossman season)

Grossman had a rtg of 73.9

According to preseason reports, Orton has put up almost 2x the amount of turn overs as Grossman.

Grossman finally is learning to hold onto the ball and not try and use his talent to force something.

I just dont see how the argument:

"Orton won 10 games as a starter"

Is really relevant when that year he put up worse numbers than Grossman did last year.

I dont think our defense is good enough to win 10 games with a 59.7 qb rtg like it was in 2005.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
Is there going to be a really good QB in the draft this year?

Nope. My hope is that Derek Anderson has another big time year and that the Bears are able to acquire Brady Quinn with the hope that he could develop into the franchise QB (plus, the fact that he'll have sat on the sideline for two yeras should make him much more prepared to come in and hopefully lead a competitive team from the get-go).

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 06:28 PM)
This is how I feel as well.

Grossman has gotten chance after chance. Orton won 11 games as a starter, and I know it was far from all his doing, but does deserve a shot over Rex.

Please do not say this ever again, not even with the caveat you put after it.

It's not that hard to "win" games when your defense almost never allows more than 10-13 points.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 05:41 PM)
Please do not say this ever again, not even with the caveat you put after it.

It's not that hard to "win" games when your defense almost never allows more than 10-13 points.

And what I meant was he managed the game and didn't throw dumb INTs like Rex. Orton is a better option than Rex now, but there are 50 QBs I would rather have and 30 are retired or past their prime.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Monday Night Countdown that Ronnie Brown could be on a team other than the Dolphins by Week 1.

This sounds like long-shot speculation, assuming Miami isn't blown away by a trade offer. Brown has struggled in the preseason, but is only 26 and under control through 2010. The alternative, Ricky Williams, is 31, has hardly played since 2005, and is signed for only this season. While Ricky supplanting Ronnie as a starter is very possible, Brown being cut or shipped off for a late-round pick would be stunning. The offensive backfield is one of Miami's few strengths as a team. Aug. 18 - 8:01 pm et

If Miami is dumb enough to cut Ronnie Brown, Angelo better be the first to get him. He was a top 3 RB last year before getting hurt.

Edited by Brian

And what I meant was he managed the game and didn't throw dumb INTs like Rex. Orton is a better option than Rex now, but there are 50 QBs I would rather have and 30 are retired or past their prime.

In that season Orton threw more ints than tds...

In fact in his career Orton has more ints than tds he is also sporting a 62.2 career qb rtg.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)

The reason Orton doesn't throw that many picks (compared to Rex) is that his throws are literally so inaccurate that they can't be intercepted.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 06:25 PM)
Nope. My hope is that Derek Anderson has another big time year and that the Bears are able to acquire Brady Quinn with the hope that he could develop into the franchise QB (plus, the fact that he'll have sat on the sideline for two yeras should make him much more prepared to come in and hopefully lead a competitive team from the get-go).

Even if he becomes available the Bears won't make the move. They NEVER make the move. (cough, except for, cough, Rick Mirer, cough)

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
They made the move for Ogunleye.

Who was traded for Marty Booker and a 3rd round pick just so they could move on and get him off the team..

Brady Quinn would cost a LOT more than that, guaranteed

Miami isn't cutting or trading Ronnie Brown, he is coming off knee surgery and Ricky Williams has looked great so far.. people are looking too far into it

QUOTE (Shadows @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
Who was traded for Marty Booker and a 3rd round pick just so they could move on and get him off the team..

Brady Quinn would cost a LOT more than that, guaranteed

Miami isn't cutting or trading Ronnie Brown, he is coming off knee surgery and Ricky Williams has looked great so far.. people are looking too far into it

I was responding to the fact that the Bears never make a move, not the availability of Quinn or Brown.

Angelo makes moves, he doesn't fit the stereotypical "Bears front office is cheap and conservative" mold. He just makes dumb moves sometimes (Archuleta although that was obviously at Lovie's insistence), is naively confident in things he shouldn't be confident in (the old ass offensive line last year) or just plain neglects certain things (LG this year).