Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
I was responding to the fact that the Bears never make a move, not the availability of Quinn or Brown.

I was under the impression that he meant they never make those big moves, because obviously, every team makes moves

I thought he meant like the big move..

And the Ronnie Brown comment wasn't directed towards you, it was just a separate comment I wanted to make

QUOTE (Shadows @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 08:04 PM)
I was under the impression that he meant they never make those big moves, because obviously, every team makes moves

I thought he meant like the big move..

And the Ronnie Brown comment wasn't directed towards you, it was just a separate comment I wanted to make

Angelo tries to make big moves, and some of them blow up in his face bigtime. Last year it was Archuleta and Darwin Walker. At the beginning of the season i thought they would be really solid backups/rotation guys. But when the season went to hell and everyone got injured and they were forced to start, it got ugly quick. Bringing in Brian Griese was another attempt by Angelo that really didnt amount to anything.

If Boldin became available in anyway, Jerry Jones would be all over it in a flash.

And Kyle, I don't know if you'd call signing Archuleta and Darwin Walker "big moves". Archuleta had regressed big time since his early days with the Rams, and was found out to be a run support safety who's decent in the box, but covers worse than Roy Williams and isn't a very good tackler, while Walker I would call a "system DT".

I don't see a lot of hope for the Bears right now for the upcoming season to be honest also.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
If Boldin became available in anyway, Jerry Jones would be all over it in a flash.

And Kyle, I don't know if you'd call signing Archuleta and Darwin Walker "big moves". Archuleta had regressed big time since his early days with the Rams, and was found out to be a run support safety who's decent in the box, but covers worse than Roy Williams and isn't a very good tackler, while Walker I would call a "system DT".

I don't see a lot of hope for the Bears right now for the upcoming season to be honest also.

I thought the Darwin Walker pick up was a steal and a great move. Just didn't work out. I don't think many were excited about Archuletta.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
I wonder what the 49ers would want for Alex Smith....seems they like JT O'sullivan....

What would you want Alex Smith for? Not only can he not play LT or LG, but he sucks at his real position too. Frankly, if you look at career stats, Grossman blows Smith away.

The Bears defense is being absolutely TORN TO SHREDS by one of the worst quarterbacks, offenses, and teams in the NFL.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
So Quinn is starting on Saturday for the Browns. Is that trouble for Anderson?

I heard they think Anderson suffered a concusion on Monday night. Can't be too cautious with those, especially when the games don't count.

Not sure why they'd put Wolfe back there, he was a horrible kick returner even when he tried it at NIU. Bad return and he fumbles it away.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)
I think its a little tough to judge Smith on his career in SF since they are awful... then again the Bears wouldn't be much better.

Smith is a horrible quarterback. Most people with any semblance of a brain understood that was a horrible #1 pick the moment it was made, he should not have even gone in the 1st round. It goes right up there with Michael Olowokandi, Tim Couch, and LaRue Martin for all time bad #1 overall picks in sports.

As for the Bears "healthy and improved" defense, they've been pathetic tonight. With a little over 11 minutes left in the second quarter, San Francisco has scored 20 points on 4 drives (score on every possesion) while gaining 204 yards from scrimmage (9-11 for 133 passing, 12 carries for 71 yards at 5.9 a carry). Against the freaking 49ers. I knew the offense was bad, but in the so called most important game of the preseason, the defense looks awful too.

The Bears offense does have 17 points and Orton has two touchdown passes to Rashied Davis, but the two 75 yard kick returns by Danieal Manning are obviously a huge factor. The offensive line and Orton both look a lot better this week obviously, but again I am moreso worried about the Bears defense than I am pleased with the Bears offense because of who tonight's opponent is. The most recent drive was very good though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Nice 81 yard TD drive. I liked it cuz Orton stood strong in the pocket and didn't panic like Rex would. he looked off safeties and defense on that long pass to Bradley, and they didn't settle for a FG after an O-line penalty negated a TD catch by Olson.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
Nice 81 yard TD drive. I liked it cuz Orton stood strong in the pocket and didn't panic like Rex would. he looked off safeties and defense on that long pass to Bradley, and they didn't settle for a FG after an O-line penalty negated a TD catch by Olson.

Well it's kind of easy not to panic when you have like 9 seconds to throw and nobody comes near you... not sure how the Bears suddenly learned how to pass block. Before you get too excited, recall how Rex has looked every single time he has played the 49ers, preseason or otherwise.

edit: this should not be interpreted as Rex fanboyism... simply stating Orton has had all day to throw today. Normally he is horribly inaccurate and the Bears offensive line sucks.

Edited by lostfan

The special teams had two 75 yard kick returns and a blocked field goal, but also lost a fumble on a kick return and should have had a safety called on them on Hester's return. The offense put up 20 points and about 200 yards, but the defense gave up 20 points and about 250 yards. Very strange half, no idea what to make of it in the one preseason game where you are supposed to be able to make something of it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101