Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
I feel like Flacco's regressing before our very eyes.

I don't think so. He just really had no chance against a defense of this caliber. Especially on the road in a game of this magnitude. They desperately needed to run the ball effectively to win the game. And with McClain a non-factor due to injury, the Ravens really had no chance.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
Reed is better, Troy is playing on a healthier team. Even Troy said Ed Reed is the best.

Nope. Reed is by far the best ballhawking safety in the league. As Palehose stated, Troy excels at both ballhawking and as a run stopper. Congrats by the way Palehose.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
My first thought was “that dude’s paralyzed”, but he’s moving, thank god.

I think he'll be fine, he just got KTFO. He probably won't remember any of this later.

edit: they're saying his neck hurts but his limbs are moving.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
I don't think so. He just really had no chance against a defense of this caliber. Especially on the road in a game of this magnitude. They desperately needed to run the ball effectively to win the game. And with McClain a non-factor due to injury, the Ravens really had no chance.

Nope. Reed is by far the best ballhawking safety in the league. As Palehose stated, Troy excels at both ballhawking and as a run stopper.. Congrats by the way Palehose.

Thanks Jordan, not looking foward to the Steelers CB's matching up with Fitzgerald and Boldin though.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
Its a little early to decide but I actually like the Cardinals. They are just playing well on both sides.

Itll be a better game than Vegas thinks IMO. Strength against strength and AZ has been playing extremely well. As was shown this week, the blitzing style of defense LeBeau and the Steelers use is similar to what Johnson and the Eagles use and Warner is excellent at exploiting it,

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
Itll be a better game than Vegas thinks IMO. Strength against strength and AZ has been playing extremely well. As was shown this week, the blitzing style of defense LeBeau and the Steelers use is similar to what Johnson and the Eagles use and Warner is excellent at exploiting it,

Right.

At the least, I think it will be a higher scoring game than if it was the Eagles and Steelers. All I can ask for is a photo finish like last year.

I agree it will be a better game than Vegas thinks, but the better team from the better conference will win. The Steelers should have a lot of fans there, and I think they'll get the pressure on Warner necessary to force some mistakes. There are concerns for the Steelers though, as they've had trouble running the ball all year and the Cardinals have been great against the run this postseason. Plus, Whisenhunt has all kinds of insider info he can pass along to his team about Pittsburgh. Big Ben should have a field day as long as he gets even decent protection though. McNabb put up big numbers today, and they could have been even bigger had his accuracy not betrayed him at key times.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Regarding the WR position in the NFL Draft... Other than QB, WR is the hardest position to predict success at. I can't figure out why that is, but it's just that way. They also tend to take long to develop. So, for all you Bears fans who want a WR in the 1st round, it would honestly be smarter to take a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. The team isn't in position to take a WR in Round 1 and wait on that guy to develop.

Honestly, I'm kind of in the "best player available" boat as long as we address some issues in free agency (DE or OL, if not both), so if that happens to be someone like James Laurinaitis at LB, I wouldn't hesitate to take him. There's really no reason for him to fall so far, but if teams want to get nit-picky and pass on a superb talent like his, I'd take him. If the Bears moved Urlacher to SLB and put Laurinaitis at MLB, our LB's would be phenomenal.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 12:57 AM)
I agree it will be a better game than Vegas thinks, but the better team from the better conference will win. The Steelers should have a lot of fans there, and I think they'll get the pressure on Warner necessary to force some mistakes. There are concerns for the Steelers though, as they've had trouble running the ball all year and the Cardinals have been great against the run this postseason. Plus, Whisenhunt has all kinds of insider info he can pass along to his team about Pittsburgh. Big Ben should have a field day as long as he gets even decent protection though. McNabb put up big numbers today, and they could have been even bigger had his accuracy not betrayed him at key times.

After all this time, I still don't like Ben's protection. Sometimes they step up and play well, but on the whole that offensive line just isn't that good. You're right though, this should be a Steelers home game, even moreso than 2005. Still, if I'm on the Cardinals I like my chances with this game with the way they've been playing.

I don't know if I'd call the AFC the better conference this year or even last year. The interconference record is skewed this year because some NFC teams really s*** the bed vs. the AFC, but the better NFC teams were pretty evenly matched since the Pats looked mortal, the Colts started off slow, and the Chargers did their annual "we're Super Bowl contenders on paper but in reality not that good" deal.

I'm going with the Cardinals. They seem to be playing on both cylinders and I don't think the Steelers are capable of scoring more points than the Eagles did and I don't think they are capable of slowing down the Cardinals offense unless they don't blitz much at all. A great point brought up is that when you blitz a high octane offense, you leave the down the field option open. When you have Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin as the WR's, that's asking for trouble.

I think it will be great game, but honestly, I could see either team blowing out the other one.