3/3 Game Thread, Sox/Royals

SnB

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
who gave up that game winning hit?

Some Harrell guy. Sox lose 7-6? on an awful walk, chopper and bloop. Then a solid single to center off Harrell. You can't walk those guys Boone.

Edited by jphat007

McDougal needs to start the season in Charlotte. Let him sort his stuff out there, and not with us.

Ramirez has been promising, but is still definitely a work in progress. Still inclined to have him start in Charlotte also, if he doesn't win a starting job at 2B for the Sox.

As for the Linebrink discussions, I wasn't a huge fan of the signing at the time. His K/9 rates have decreased over the past few seasons, and his numbers with the Brewers weren't great, and he had excellent splits at PETCO.

KW seemed to think, he would use his sinker more to good effect at the Cell, but we'll wait and see. He'll need an ERA below 4 to justify the signing, and I don't know if he can do that.

I'm more confident in Dotel, if Octavio can stay healthy (but that's a huge IF also).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
McDougal needs to start the season in Charlotte. Let him sort his stuff out there, and not with us.

Ramirez has been promising, but is still definitely a work in progress. Still inclined to have him start in Charlotte also, if he doesn't win a starting job at 2B for the Sox.

As for the Linebrink discussions, I wasn't a huge fan of the signing at the time. His K/9 rates have decreased over the past few seasons, and his numbers with the Brewers weren't great, and he had excellent splits at PETCO.

KW seemed to think, he would use his sinker more to good effect at the Cell, but we'll wait and see. He'll need an ERA below 4 to justify the signing, and I don't know if he can do that.

I'm more confident in Dotel, if Octavio can stay healthy (but that's a huge IF also).

MacDougal is out of options, plus with his contract, the team won't want to send him down even if they could. The better move, I think, is to see if anyone has interest in trading for him. He does have that good "stuff" people like to talk about, so maybe some other team can get is head in the game.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
It seems Danks didn't look to bad in his 3 innings. But the pen blew it again. McDougal and Boone and even Jenks isn't sharp.

Jenks is NEVER sharp in spring training. And Boone was fine through an inning - plus he was the victim of some lucky hits (though the walk was his own fault). MacDougal is the one who has been scary-bad so far. Harrell is a minor leaguer this year anyway.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
MacDougal is out of options, plus with his contract, the team won't want to send him down even if they could. The better move, I think, is to see if anyone has interest in trading for him. He does have that good "stuff" people like to talk about, so maybe some other team can get is head in the game.

I thought MacDougal had 1 option left that the Sox could use?

If not, I'd rather trade him also, but it'll be hard to get decent value for him the way he looks ATM.

If he does have an option to burn, keep him in Charlotte for a couple of months, and let him find his own way back.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)

If not, I'd rather trade him also, but it'll be hard to get decent value for him the way he looks ATM.

If he does have an option to burn, keep him in Charlotte for a couple of months, and let him find his own way back.

If I am wrong and he has an option, then that's excellent - send him down. But I think they used his last one last season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)

I thought so as well, but Kalapse said no even though EJ, who is usually good at the options stuff said he does have one left, and I believe I read an article saying the same thing.. Who knows.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 05:22 PM)
I thought so as well, but Kalapse said no even though EJ, who is usually good at the options stuff said he does have one left, and I believe I read an article saying the same thing.. Who knows.

Gonzalez wrote something in the Tribune a month or so ago that said MacDougal still had an option. Something about his minor league stay last year being short and it didn't count.

Here it is:

Pitchers Gavin Floyd and Nick Masset are out of minor-league options and face waivers if they don't make the White Sox's Opening Day roster.

But the same status doesn't apply to veteran reliever Mike MacDougal even though he was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte last June.

MacDougal still has one option remaining as a result of a longstanding rule in the Basic Agreement. MacDougal was optioned on June 4, only to be recalled on June 15 when reliever Bret Prinz was designated for assignment.

Because MacDougal was optioned for less than 20 days, his stint in the minors doesn't count as an option. Therefore, the Sox still can send MacDougal to the minors without exposing him to waivers if he doesn't earn a spot on the Opening Day roster.

The Sox view the 30-year-old middle reliever as a serviceable pitcher despite his 6.80 ERA in 54 appearances last year. MacDougal had a 1.80 ERA in 25 games for the Sox in 2006 after coming in a trade from Kansas City.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
Gonzalez wrote something in the Tribune a month or so ago that said MacDougal still had an option. Something about his minor league stay last year being short and it didn't count.

Here it is:

Pitchers Gavin Floyd and Nick Masset are out of minor-league options and face waivers if they don't make the White Sox's Opening Day roster.

But the same status doesn't apply to veteran reliever Mike MacDougal even though he was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte last June.

MacDougal still has one option remaining as a result of a longstanding rule in the Basic Agreement. MacDougal was optioned on June 4, only to be recalled on June 15 when reliever Bret Prinz was designated for assignment.

Because MacDougal was optioned for less than 20 days, his stint in the minors doesn't count as an option. Therefore, the Sox still can send MacDougal to the minors without exposing him to waivers if he doesn't earn a spot on the Opening Day roster.

The Sox view the 30-year-old middle reliever as a serviceable pitcher despite his 6.80 ERA in 54 appearances last year. MacDougal had a 1.80 ERA in 25 games for the Sox in 2006 after coming in a trade from Kansas City.

Well that's a good thing. Clearly he's still having problems and probably needs at least a month in AAA to work out whatever issues he's having. Then the Sox can call him up for one last chance. If it still doesn't work out, then they can trade or release him. The guy obviously has some good stuff, but if you can't get outs, it doesn't matter how "good" your stuff is.

Do you guys think that Danks really could have gained 3 mph of velocity? That would be awesome if he had a FB in the mid 90s. It's plausible, but kinda hard to believe, however he's only 22 years old, so he theoretically could gain velocity still.