Niners forfeit draft pick in Lance Briggs tampering

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArJN...p&type=lgns

NEW YORK (AP)—The San Francisco 49ers have forfeited their fifth-round pick in next month’s NFL draft after commissioner Roger Goodell deemed them guilty of tampering with Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs.

Goodell also determined the teams will switch picks in the third round of the April 26-27 draft. Chicago, which had the 12th pick, will get San Francisco’s seventh pick and the 49ers will get Chicago’s choice.

Goodell determined that the 49ers violated the NFL’s anti-tampering policy by contacting Briggs’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, about his client during the 2007 season.

Nice to see the NFL cracking down on this.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 06:26 PM)
So, did the Bears get SF's 5th rounder? Or did they just forfeit it?

the only thing I have seen is that they switched their 3rd rounders, i havent read that the forfeited 5h rounder has been awarded to the Bears.

I asked this on Talkbears as well, what happened to the picks that the Patriots had to forfeit? Were they assigned to anyone?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 06:31 PM)
I asked this on Talkbears as well, what happened to the picks that the Patriots had to forfeit? Were they assigned to anyone?

No, it was just forfeited.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 06:31 PM)
the only thing I have seen is that they switched their 3rd rounders, i havent read that the forfeited 5h rounder has been awarded to the Bears.

I know the Patriots just lost their pick...it wasn't awarded to anyone, but I didn't think that was for spying on the Jets, it thought it was just for spying period.

This is direct tampering with a player on the Bears roster, that's why I thought it might go to the Bears, but I don't know.

I wonder how they were found guilty.It was probably Rosenhaus that admitted there was some tampering going on.There isnt many reliable sources in a situation like this that could have found the niners in the wrong.

QUOTE(shipps @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 07:44 AM)
I wonder how they were found guilty.It was probably Rosenhaus that admitted there was some tampering going on.There isnt many reliable sources in a situation like this that could have found the niners in the wrong.

Everyone knew that the Niners were hot on Briggs trail, it was all over the radio and papers. All it takes is one "source" to come clean about what happened.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 07:46 AM)
Everyone knew that the Niners were hot on Briggs trail, it was all over the radio and papers. All it takes is one "source" to come clean about what happened.

Ya but thats all hearsay.The only true source would be a rep from the niners or Drew.And my money would be on Drew.

The funny thing about all of this to me is the fact that the 49ers play a base 3-4 so they would need someone with strong pass-rushing ability, something Briggs hasn't even shown since he's been in the NFL. Granted, he's not really asked to blitz much, but still, we know Urlacher can do it, Briggs not so much. The Bears' system plays to Briggs's strengths and it works quite well, but his skill set is limited. They would've been paying franchise player money to him and I have no idea why they'd be going after him in the first place, he would've just been average there.