2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the lamest fans I've ever seen at the Padres game tonight...of course, they were Cubs fans. Piniella's doing his best to blow out Marmol's elbow, so at least Lou's trying to help us out. On the other hand, I can't believe Barrett's wasn't gone. Looked like a no doubter off the bat.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 11:02 PM)
I can't wait until they lose in the NL playoffs again and all the dread in this thread is for nothing, just like last year.

That's why I just keep my mouth shut and just nod and smile when talking to exuberant Cub fans. I really hate bringing up the point that they've played 17 out of the last 23 against bottom feeders Pittsburg, Colorado and San Diego. God they have a cake schedule.......

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 01:30 AM)
That's why I just keep my mouth shut and just nod and smile when talking to exuberant Cub fans. I really hate bringing up the point that they've played 17 out of the last 23 against bottom feeders Pittsburg, Colorado and San Diego. God they have a cake schedule.......

They are getting the job done, though. I am not sure how real they are, but they seem to take care of business when necessary. With that said, I hope they start slumping soon.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 10:17 PM)
ive never even heard of the opposing pitcher for the padres tonight....just wow gerut? barrett? McAnulty? Even kal greene stinks...the level of competition is just unreal

The cubs are so much better than every team in the NL IMO. Its just not close. They are basically an AL club playing in the NL

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)
The cubs are so much better than every team in the NL IMO. Its just not close. They are basically an AL club playing in the NL

Amen. Sure, they are beating awful teams, but don't you have to beat bad teams?

I'll be more convinced, however, after they have to go to Toronto and TB. Pitching probables show they'll have to face Burnett, Halladay, Kazmir, and Shields.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 11:55 PM)
David Haugh cracking me up on Chicago Tribune LIVE being realistic about the Cubs while Kaplan and Zaidman are overdosing on the Kool Aid.

Kaplan and Zaidman might be my two least favorite radio guys, besides for Mike Murphy, of course.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 05:04 PM)
Kaplan and Zaidman might be my two least favorite radio guys, besides for Mike Murphy, of course.

I don't mind Zaidman, but his voice annoys the crap outta me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 06:04 PM)

im a big zaidman fan, but only for bears...when it comes to football he knows his stuff

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)

The Phillies aren't far off. They have a better offense (the numbers will bear that out at the end of the day) than the Cubs, they have a dominant #1 followed by mediocrity in their rotation (although they don't have an overachiever that will come back to earth like Dempster, but somebody could get hot). They also have three guys dominating in their pen (Lidge, who might keep it up now that he's out of Houston, as well as J.C. Romero against lefties and Chad Durbin).

The real key for the Cubs is the back two guys in their pen. Marmol is being badly overuse by Lou, and his mortality is going to show as the season goes on due to that (if he doesn't get hurt), and Kerry Wood is obviously another key. If that China Doll can stay healthy all the way through October, maybe it is their year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2008 -> 11:14 PM)
Cubs just making it look easy now.

We would too if we had their schedule. As we saw tonight, life is easy against a garbage opponent, even with poor defense.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 12:43 AM)
By what measure?

The eye test, which is why I say wait until the end of the year and you'll see the Phillies leading the NL in runs. They are going to very well possibly have 3 MVP's in their lineup by the end of the year with Utley a favorite, and that doesn't include Pat Burrell and his near 1.000 OPS. Their lineup is unreal.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 12:17 AM)
The eye test, which is why I say wait until the end of the year and you'll see the Phillies leading the NL in runs. They are going to very well possibly have 3 MVP's in their lineup by the end of the year with Utley a favorite, and that doesn't include Pat Burrell and his near 1.000 OPS. Their lineup is unreal.

I'd give a bit of credit to the hitting coach too, whoever that may be. Rowand was a mess when he left Chicago, and he earned himself a huge paycheck. Rollins was always a solid hitter, but he turned into an MVP within the past few seasons. Howard's always had the talent, but Utley didn't start hitting until he was about 26. Pat Burrell, who you mentioned, is having his best year since 2002. Chris f***ing Coste is somehow a hell of a major league backup catcher, hitting the absolute s*** out of the ball, when his career minor league OPS was .756.

Yeah, I'll give a bit of credit to him. To say a hitting coach has no effect on a team full of veterans is BS. Burrell is 31 and Coste is 35, and Rollins has become an absolute freak of nature in the past couple years.

Quite a bit of this also stems from the hiring of Pat Gillick. He and Schuerholz may be the best GMs of all time, but I may give even more credit to Gillick simply because he's taken 3 different teams and led them to the playoffs. Not every GM can say they've done that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
Ryan Theriot has the best opposite field swing in the majors so far this year. He makes it look very easy.

He's a pretty easy out if you pitch him in and throw strikes, but for some reason nobody does.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Just terrible pitch selection by Saito. Fukudome was way behind on the fastball, and what does he do...throws him an offspeed pitch right down the plate. Saito seems amazing against just about every team he faces, but he looks like T. Ohka against the Cubs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)
Just terrible pitch selection by Saito. Fukudome was way behind on the fastball, and what does he do...throws him an offspeed pitch right down the plate. Saito seems amazing against just about every team he faces, but he looks like T. Ohka against the Cubs.

People just don't pitch to the scouting report against the Cubs, at least when I see them play. It is baffling, but when you watch how dumb people pitch them you see one of the many reasons their offense has been so good.

Edited by whitesoxfan101