2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
Of course, no one mentions that the Tigers are 16-12 against other AL teams not in the AL Central.

His Pirates argument really should not even be acknowledged. How anyone could think that Pittsburgh team would dominate ANY other team escapes me.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The baffling thing about the Cubs is their #2 starter as of March (Lilly) has been AWFUL, Marquis hasn't been anywhere near as good as he usually is the first two months, and their #3 starter as of March (Hill) is in triple a and has been there for a few weeks. The good news of that is you won't win in October that way, and Kerry Wood is going to get hurt as well as their offense will regress to the means. Problem is, even when they regress, their offense is stll good and if Wood gets hurt, their best reliever will actually close.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
Reason #100005 why I hate the Cubs and their fans. An actual smart baseball friend of mine at work was trying to say how the AL Central is the worst division in baseball. He's like "the Pirates would destroy the Tigers right now". There's already a few teams in the NL who's season is over....Padres, Rockies, Nationals, and Giants.

A friend just called me and told me the same thing, and when I tell him the Cubs SHOULD be beating one of the worst teams in the NL all he has is "they're better than KC, the NL is just better overall." If he wasn't a good friend he might get decked in the mouth.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ May 30, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
His Pirates argument really should not even be acknowledged. How anyone could think that Pittsburgh team would dominate ANY other team escapes me.

Pittsburgh is better than Cincy and they swept Cleveland...if it weren't for the Cubs they'd have a decent record in the division.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 30, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
A friend just called me and told me the same thing, and when I tell him the Cubs SHOULD be beating one of the worst teams in the NL all he has is "they're better than KC, the NL is just better overall." If he wasn't a good friend he might get decked in the mouth.

Greinke's ERA in the NL would be around 2.

QUOTE (SouthsideNorthsideFan @ May 30, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
Pittsburgh is better than Cincy and they swept Cleveland...if it weren't for the Cubs they'd have a decent record in the division.

I guarantee that the Pirates don't end up with a better record than the Reds. The Pirates starting pitching is beyond awful. Hell, P. Dumatrait is their #1 right now, and he's terrible!

I refuse to watch, but my brother just IM'd me to tell me that Marmol got a 3-1 pitch to lead off the inning called for a strike that was 6 inches inside and the catcher was set up outside. Sounds like the same old, same old.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
I refuse to watch, but my brother just IM'd me to tell me that Marmol got a 3-1 pitch to lead off the inning called for a strike that was 6 inches inside and the catcher was set up outside. Sounds like the same old, same old.

yep blanco moved his glove completely acroos his body still got the call. and lets not forgot the ball f#ckudome misplays and is praised for a great catch. cubs fans are such a bunch of clowns

glendon rusch and jason grilli.....wow

the quality of pitching depth in that league is simply horrendous...while they may have the best handful of SPs (webb, Z, johan, peavy) they have just a terrible lack of depth in rotations especially in that division

cardinals: wainright is legit, then looper was run out of a set up job a couple years ago, Lohse was run out of the AL a long time ago and barely found a job, Piniero couldnt cut it in AL and stinks too, wellemeyer couldnt cut it with KC a couple years ago (KC!)

Houston: Oswalt (prime roid candidate, what happened to that fastball roy?) Backe = average, wandy rodriguez chris sampson and SHAWN CHACON!

Milwaulkee: Sheets good, Manny Parra decent youngster, Suppan another guy run out of AL, Seth McClung now in the rotation dumped by tampa bay, and Dave bush stinks

Reds: Harang solid but like ozzie said two years ago...if hes the best pitcher, thats a bad staff, Volquez and cueto, bright youngsters, arroyo blows and josh fogg doesnt deserve to still be in baseball

Pittsburgh: Snell decent but a #4 or 5 on any decent team, gorzelanny - this aint marist kid, maholm dumatrait duke hahah wow what a terrible staff

The rest of the NL....

is pretty bad too...Dbacks are great, dodgers have a good staff....marlins have some nice youngsters in miller and olsen, but hendirckson is another guy cut by tampa (i dont care how good he has been this year), Nolasco, and badenhop??? ouch...mets back end bloooows with vargas (jobless 2 months ago) and pelfrey (whered that fastball he had at witchita state go?).....rockies have a historically bad rotation ...d padres stink right now with peavy/young on the DL...maddux stinks , randy wolf does too, then they have shawn estes, wil ledezma (tossed around more than lindsay lohan), and josh banks

Edited by daa84

here is the list of SPs the cubs have faced going in reverse order from todays game

Rusch!, Cook, Jeff Francis (6.12 ERA), Lowe, Kuroda, Billingsly, Maholm, Dumatrait, Duke, Chacon! Sampson, Moehler, Dumatrait, Duke, Gorzelanny, Maddux, Peavy, Estes!, Wolf, Edgar Gonzalez, Sherzer, Haren, Volquez, Harang, Cueto, Wellemeyer, Lohse, Wainwright, gallardo, Suppan, Sheets, Matt chico, John Lannan,Odalis Perez, Cook, Morales, Figueroa, Maine, Duke, Gorzelanny, Snell, Volquez, Fogg, Harang, Moyer, Hammels, Myers, Matt Morris, Duke, Gorzelanny, Backe, Oswalt, Chris Sampson, Bush, Suppan, Sheets

bolded are guys who i consider to be above league average....thats 18 starts..3 of them were by rookies like gallardo and volquez

regardless of any beefs anyone may have with who i bolded, the bold isnt really hte point...the point is that the list of pitchers they have faced is horrendous

Edited by daa84

How about who's been missing from teams when they played them:

Phillies- Rollins

Dbacks- Hudson

Rockies- Holliday, Hawpe, Tulo

Pirates- Jack Wilson

Dodgers- Furcal, Jeff Kent

Mets- Alou

Nats- D. Young

I'm trying to think who's been missing from teams the Sox played, and the only guy I can really think of is ARod and Cuddyer. Hafner and Sexson were out, but those guys aren't anything special now.

Edited by fathom

How about who's been missing from teams when they played them:

Phillies- Rollins

Dbacks- Hudson

Rockies- Holliday, Hawpe, Tulo

Pirates- Jack Wilson

Dodgers- Furcal, Jeff Kent

Mets- Alou

Nats- D. Young

It's one big giant conspiracy I tell you.

My God, it's the last day in May, tune down the angst. Lots of things can and probably will happen.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
It's one big giant conspiracy I tell you.

My God, it's the last day in May, tune down the angst. Lots of things can and probably will happen.

or maybe we're just talking about the horrible depth in the NL. As Daa brought up, when Glendon Rusch and Jason Grilli are pitching in the same game, it better be in the Independent League.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
I'm trying to think who's been missing from teams the Sox played, and the only guy I can really think of is ARod and Cuddyer. Hafner and Sexson were out, but those guys aren't anything special now.

granderson, carmona (but laffey has been better anyways), howie kendrick, aybar,

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
granderson, carmona (but laffey has been better anyways), howie kendrick, aybar,

Good call on Granderson. It does stink we faced Posada, and he did very well in the series vs the Sox. Then, he goes on the DL a few days later.

Edited by fathom

The NL has horrible depth, but when I look through the all star ballots I think they'll have the better "all star" team. Heck, I still can't figure out whats going wrong with the Dbacks (they are much better than they've played as of late) and the Dodgers are in need of a middle of the order bat, but aside from that they are a pretty complete ball-club (albeit they have had there offensive struggles).

The NL Central is a poor division and realistically the only team with the talent to go with the Cubs is the Brewers, who have a manager that shouldn't be managing (Yost has done a horrid job). The fun team to watch in that division is the Reds, who have a bevy of young, top notch talent coming up and what looks to be the makings of a pretty solid rotation (even though Harang/Arroyo haven't been as good as they have been in years past). Cuetto has shown he's still very raw, but the stuff is there. Homer Bailey really isn't even close to the prospect he once was. In fact, if I could compare him to anyone it would be Gavin Floyd (ie, a one time, premiere prospect who really had a bad major league debut and has continued to see his stuff decline since than). Who knows if Bailey turns it around because he has the god given ability, but you got to wonder what the heck has really happened to him.