ESPN article

RockRaines

Burton an emerging middle man

posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

filed under: MLB

Part of the reason that some executives are reluctant to invest heavily in the middle-relief market is because of its volatile nature. Relievers suddenly develop a pitch, or they lose the feel for a pitch, or maybe they start commanding their fastball in a way they hadn't before. Or maybe they suddenly gained a little extra velocity, or lost some. They suddenly pitch with the necessary confidence, or lose it. Every year, unlikely relievers emerge to become major weapons.

Take, for example, the case of the Reds' Jared Burton. He was drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the eighth round of the 2002 draft and bounced around Oakland's farm system for years, enduring major shoulder surgery along the way. Pitching in Double-A in 2006, he compiled a 4.14 ERA in 53 games and was picked up by Cincinnati through the Rule 5 draft.

FANTASY

ON THE RISE

• Rafael Betancourt, Indians: He's taking over as the closer in the absence of Joe Borowski.

• Mark Mulder, Cardinals: He pitched five innings in Class A and continues to take baby steps forward.

ON THE DECLINE

• Alfonso Soriano, Cubs: He got hurt catching a fly ball and could be headed to the DL.

• Erik Bedard, Mariners: His hip problems land him on the DL.

• Peter Moylan, Braves: Out with elbow trouble, and it could be serious.

Listen to the Fantasy Podcast

"We liked his arm," said Oakland general manager Billy Beane. "But he was coming back from surgery, and we were going to have a tough time protecting him on the 40-man roster. The mistake we made was pitching him in the Arizona Fall League, because Cincinnati saw him there."

And he has blossomed into a solid middle guy at age 26. He had a 2.51 ERA in 43 innings for the Reds last year, and entering Wednesday's action, Burton has 13 strikeouts in 7.1 innings, with four runs allowed. "I think it was just a matter of realizing my potential and how good I could be," Burton said. "I realized that the Reds had seen a lot in me and went out to get me, and I got a fresh start in the organization."

Burton remembers a situation shortly after he was promoted to the major leagues for the first time last summer. There were a couple of runners on base in a one-run game, and then-Reds manager Pete Mackanin left him in the game -- and Burton got out of the jam. The same thing happened a few days later against the Marlins. "That really lifted my confidence," said Burton. "It made me realize I belonged."

Burton felt like he started throwing better in 2007 once he stopped worrying about mechanics. "I always felt like I was a pretty good athlete, good enough to repeat my mechanics," said Burton. "I've never been a big fan of [focusing on] mechanics."

Presto. Some other middle men who have gotten off to good starts:

Leo Nunez, Royals: He's punched out seven and hasn't allowed a run in 5.2 innings, throwing high heat.

Santiago Casilla, Athletics: He's struck out nine in 7.2 scoreless innings.

Andrew Brown, Athletics: He hasn't allowed an earned run in 7.2 innings.

John Grabow and Tyler Yates, Pirates: They've kicked in 18.2 innings and allowed a total of one earned run, with 13 strikeouts.

Anthony Reyes, Cardinals: He's generated a win, a save and a 2.70 ERA.

Randor Bierd, Orioles: 7.1 innings, no earned runs allowed so far.

Blaine Boyer and Will Ohman, Braves: Boyer has racked up 13 strikeouts in 7.2 innings, and Ohman has allowed one earned run in four innings. And he and Boyer are going to get more work going forward, with Rafael Soriano and Peter Moylan out with elbow injuries.

Taylor Buchholz, Rockies: 6.2 innings, one earned run, four hits.

Aquilino Lopez, Tigers: An 0.79 ERA in 11.1 innings.

Brian Shouse, Brewers: He is on his seventh or eighth life in his career and has allowed just three hits and two walks in five innings, with a 1.80 ERA.

Jamey Wright, Rangers: a 1.17 ERA in 7.2 innings.

Brian Bruney and Ross Ohlendorf, Yankees: Bruney has lost weight and is much more consistent, and Ohlendorf is showing some nasty off-speed stuff; the duo could move in front of LaTroy Hawkins and Kyle Farnsworth in the bullpen pecking order.

Cough*Boone Logan*Cough

5k in 4.1 innings 2.08 ERA .69 WHIP

Boone came basically out of nowhere with a new arm angle and has been stellar for us so far, and has shown flashes of brilliance last year holing Lefties to a .221 BA with 22k in 23 IP.

Matt Thornton came out of obscurity and has been stellar for us as well this season with a 2.25 ERA and .75 WHIP in 4IP with 5k. I dont think our pen will get much credit unless they keep it up halfway through the season. Just wanted to point out not only how under the radar they are, but also how much improved it is off the bat this year over last season.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 12:23 PM)
Can't make any complaints about the bullpen except for Masset being on the big club. Octavio, Boone, Thornton Jenks and Linebrink have been rock solid.

Did MacDougal go somewhere?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
Can't make any complaints about the bullpen except for Masset being on the big club. Octavio, Boone, Thornton Jenks and Linebrink have been rock solid.

Well thats pretty stupid, Masset has proved the value of having a long reliever already this season.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
Or AKA stupidity, because if you are pitching with a bum shoulder, you got rocks in your head.

I doubt he knew he had a torn rotator cuff when he was pitching. And it's not like he's suddenly going to stop going out there and pitching. Afterall, he's not Mike Hampton.

massett has been pretty solid as long relief this year and we didn't just let Riske go, he was signed by the Royals to a pretty sizeable contract and they let him close which he wasn't going to get to do for us

The Royals signed Riske for a whopping $2 million, a 200 raise over what he made with the pair of Sox. Their closer was a rule 5 pick in Soria. It's not that we wanted to bring him back, it's that the Sox foolishly decided not to offer arbitration to him when he was a type "A" free agent. That's two draft picks or a 2.45 ERA and 1.263 WHIP for $2 million down the s***ter.

Edited by santo=dorf