All Things Pro-Obama

Soxy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
In all seriousness, it is one of the big reasons I turned down job offers in the area where I went to college. I couldn't stand the ignorance directed towards people who weren't lilly white. I don't care who you are on the outside. I care who you are on the inside. If Barack Obama were echoing my values, I'd vote for the guy. Hell I spearheaded trying to get a black woman elected to our local City Council because I believed she would do the best job.

(I don't know if I needed to say any of that, but I didn't want to come off wrong... Sometimes it is hard to see a persons intentions in an arguement on the internet.)

Agreed. Like i said in the other thread, I think we are just working with a different definition which is ok.

I agree with everything you just said. Racism makes me cringe especially when it comes from one of my family members (specifically my grandpa. that's a whole other story for another time)

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 13, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
Agreed. Like i said in the other thread, I think we are just working with a different definition which is ok.

I agree with everything you just said. Racism makes me cringe especially when it comes from one of my family members (specifically my grandpa. that's a whole other story for another time)

I love my grandma to death but she is exactly the same as Obama's grandmother he was talking about in his speech. Of course she loves me unconditionally, and my mom too, but some things she says make me cringe. I just pretend like I didn't hear or otherwise just don't challenge her.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
I love my grandma to death but she is exactly the same as Obama's grandmother he was talking about in his speech. Of course she loves me unconditionally, and my mom too, but some things she says make me cringe. I just pretend like I didn't hear or otherwise just don't challenge her.

Ok, i have to tell this story real fast.

My family (My parents and my wife and I) is very active in our Lutheran Church. Heck, i work for the church. One Sunday, my parents were running a booth in our lobby and my grandpa was with them. Now, we have an Indian family (from india) in our congregation. They are 5th generation Lutherans from India. They walk into church and my grandpa looked at my dad and said "you have Indians who go to church here?" ugh. oh well.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
Ok, i have to tell this story real fast.

My family (My parents and my wife and I) is very active in our Lutheran Church. Heck, i work for the church. One Sunday, my parents were running a booth in our lobby and my grandpa was with them. Now, we have an Indian family (from india) in our congregation. They are 5th generation Lutherans from India. They walk into church and my grandpa looked at my dad and said "you have Indians who go to church here?" ugh. oh well.

I'm assuming your church is mostly white, and he was just surprised to see a non-white family there? Doesn't really seem overtly racist, just kind of tactless.

Ok, now this isnt smart on the Obama people...

Just a few days ago, Barack Obama scoffed at the suggestion he was playing the age card when he accused John McCain of "losing his bearings." But check out the way the Obama campaign has now chosen to say that it wouldn't leave the playing field in Michigan and Florida to its Republican opponent:

"We're not going to let John McCain wander around in those states unchallenged anymore."

Might be reading too much into (it's a phrase i would use even for a 35 year old), but combine that with "losign his bearing" and ouch.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
I'm assuming your church is mostly white, and he was just surprised to see a non-white family there? Doesn't really seem overtly racist, just kind of tactless.

95% white. there are a few black people and this Idianan couple. But yea, mostly white. This isnt the first time he has made a comment about Indian people or black people. So, it's a trend rather than an observation remark.

Interestingly enough, our school is seeing a huge influx of Japanese and Asians based on the demographics of Schaumburg.

Iguchi's daughter went to school here. So, i think word of mouth spread in the Japanese circles and now we have this influx.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ May 13, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
Lol the Democrat won the special election in Mississippi despite the silly advertising tying him to Obama. :lolhitting

Dems are taking long time GOP seats. GW totally screwed the Republicans for a bit, I foresee a 60 seat Dem majority in the Senate coming soon.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ May 13, 2008 -> 10:35 PM)
Dems are taking long time GOP seats. GW totally screwed the Republicans for a bit, I foresee a 60 seat Dem majority in the Senate coming soon.

The Dems are fully capable of f***ing it up. However if they realize this isn't about them they might hold the majority for a while.

Ouch! (from Politico)

When Chris Matthews says something he thinks is clever, it usually keeps coming up throughout the night.

Early in Tuesday's primary coverage, Matthews said that if Hillary Clinton uses the word "white" once more, she could be called "the Al Sharpton of white people."

A couple of hours later, talking to Sen. Bob Casey, Matthews mentioned how he doesn't like using labels like white" or "working class." Matthews said, "We're not sociologists; we're Americans."

And again, Matthews likened Clinton, with her use of the word "white," as possibly becoming "the Al Sharpton of white people."

Let's see if he makes it a hat trick!

QUOTE (bmags @ May 13, 2008 -> 10:22 PM)
the conversation has passed, but I'd like to say that a democrat taking 90% of the black vote ain't exactly a new thing.

I don't think the conversation has to have passed at all. I think it could be a very interesting thing to discuss.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 14, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
I am not exactly sure what he meant by that.

I think he was implying that Clinton's constant use of "whites" is similar to Sharpton throwing "blacks" into the conversation all the time.

Obama already with 2 superdelegate endorsements this morning (One worth only half a vote since it's from a Democrat from abroad). I wonder if he'll surpass Clinton's pledged delegate victory from last night (estimated to be +12) in supers today?

EDIT: Just found out that 2 more supers endorsed him last night.

Edited by BigSqwert

ABC Blog smears Obama... forgets to check the facts.

Obama posited -- incorrectly -- that Arabic translators deployed in Iraq are needed in Afghanistan -- forgetting, momentarily, that Afghans don't speak Arabic.

"We only have a certain number of them and if they are all in Iraq, then its harder for us to use them in Afghanistan," Obama said.

The problem: The terrorists speak Arabic. Hence why you need translators. To translate their intercepted messages.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 14, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
ABC Blog smears Obama... forgets to check the facts.

The problem: The terrorists speak Arabic. Hence why you need translators. To translate their intercepted messages.

Afghanis don't speak Arabic generally. People in that area are more likely to speak Pashtun, or Farsi/Persian variants. Some of the imported terrorists may speak Arabic though. I have to agree with ABC, in general, Obama's statement is misinformed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
Afghanis don't speak Arabic generally. People in that area are more likely to speak Pashtun, or Farsi/Persian variants. Some of the imported terrorists may speak Arabic though. I have to agree with ABC, in general, Obama's statement is misinformed.

I tend to think the communications between terrorist cells in Afghanistan is in Arabic since I bet a lot are imported/

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 14, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
I tend to think the communications between terrorist cells in Afghanistan is in Arabic since I bet a lot are imported/

I'm not so sure. A lot of the people in Afghanistan, who are imported to do bad works, are probably from neighboring countries - Iran, Pakistan, the little Stans... and those are not Arabic speaking countries. Add that to the locals, and you probably have a large majority who speak something other than Arabic.