White Sox @ Blue Jays 12:07pm CSN-HD

WSoxMatt

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Jim Thome. There, I've said it again. It has nothing to do with him, he'll get his stats but he's not a winner. I f***ing hate "sluggers". Give me hitters who can also hit for power.

Guys like Adam Dunn, Jim Thome are losers plain and simple. They don't know how to truly hit and because of that it is all "hit" or "miss" with them.

I still say the offense has a lot of the tools, it just needs a bit of a tweaking (ie move Thome or Konerko and make some adjustments and try to get yourself a legit leadoff hitter so you can move Swisher down in the lineup).

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 3, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
Now you can't answer the question?

I have an idea but , since you seem to be an expert, please explain so I and anyone else that are not up to par get it right.

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 3, 2008 -> 07:47 PM)
I hate Jim Thome. There, I've said it again. It has nothing to do with him, he'll get his stats but he's not a winner. I f***ing hate "sluggers". Give me hitters who can also hit for power.

Guys like Adam Dunn, Jim Thome are losers plain and simple. They don't know how to truly hit and because of that it is all "hit" or "miss" with them.

I still say the offense has a lot of the tools, it just needs a bit of a tweaking (ie move Thome or Konerko and make some adjustments and try to get yourself a legit leadoff hitter so you can move Swisher down in the lineup).

Ha, I said the same thing last week. Thankfully we didn't give up anyone good in the trade for him. I don't want to say he's been a bust, but he's been a disappointment. With guys like him, I'm not surprised the Indians never won it all.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ May 3, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
I have an idea but , since you seem to be an expert, please explain so I and anyone else that are not up to par get it right.

Can we just drop this argument please?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 3, 2008 -> 06:47 PM)

Guys like Adam Dunn, Jim Thome are losers plain and simple.

I couldnt agree more and you forgot Richie Sexson.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 3, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)

That is what I was trying to say, Ill take a guy that hits the gaps and hit for power as well, but also be able to move around the bases. Thome has had a good career but does not fit in with this team.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 3, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
OPS=OnBasePercentage+SluggingPercentage.

I am infact an expert on the subject.

So is a player with an higher OPS better? What makes the player better , OPS or other factors?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
Ha, I said the same thing last week. Thankfully we didn't give up anyone good in the trade for him. I don't want to say he's been a bust, but he's been a disappointment. With guys like him, I'm not surprised the Indians never won it all.

I f***ing hate Thome. I mean hate. And I say that because I absolutley hate his style of baseball (ie, I'm going to either slug it 10000 feet or strike out or do something s***ty). He's not a hitter.

Manny Ramirez, Pujols they both hit for power, but they also have tremendous approaches and that makes them dangerous hitters all the time, where as Thome has a horrid approach and just goes all hit or miss.

The Sox need more legitimate "hitters" on this team and less pure "sluggers". Thome is also old and I still think he has trade value. I've been saying it for a long time too, this team will be better without Thome (because of what you can get by moving him and the fact that it should free up the Sox ability to move Swisher down and get a legitimate leadoff hitter which is something Ozzie needs).

I know Thome will have top stats at the end of the day, but I completely don't buy into the bulls*** approach that OPS is king. I think it is important but also show me a hitters approach and how he's capable of coming up in the clutch. I also would have no problem if they moved away from Konerko (although Paulie typcially has a good approach, you can see his bat speed is slowing down and he has relied on that for a large chunk of his career).

I'd say keep Dye cause he's signed pretty affordably. Oh and the pure slugging thing is one of the reasons I'm not as high on Josh Fields as most (because I don't see him being much different, but at least he has decent footspeed and can go from 1st to 3rd).

You can still win by building around this rotation and making some more tweaks to make this lineup more athletic (and I don't just mean more speed, rather, more good baseball hitters and less pure sluggers).

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 3, 2008 -> 06:53 PM)
Game.

Thanks again for an awesome team KW and Ozzie

The motivation provided by our manager is awesome! If this team finishes in the 70 win range like it seems it will, he'll probably be canned.

Somehow I hope Kenny is sitting there and realizing the Sox have a lot of pieces in place but he needs to make a significant tweak or two which really adjusts the entire makeup of the offense (and moving Thome/Konerko would do exactly that).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 3, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
Somehow I hope Kenny is sitting there and realizing the Sox have a lot of pieces in place but he needs to make a significant tweak or two which really adjusts the entire makeup of the offense (and moving Thome/Konerko would do exactly that).

Good luck trading PK now with his hand tendinitis.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 3, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)

I'm with you and everyone else who agreed on the subject.

Good guy, but too one dimensional. I remember him with Cleveland and every time he came up in the 8th or 9th, he did something awesome. With us, nothing.