Alexei full-time at second base?

rokimar

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 07:11 AM)
Having not read most of this thread and being a lifelong Uribe supporter, Ramirez has my vote after the last few games. I know it's a small sample size, but to the best of my recollection he was pursued by many a team during the offseason, and this is what he was eventually expected to do. At this point in the season, whatever clicks offensively needs to stay until it stops clicking. Down with OCab! Bring on Juan for SS!

No, but seriously, unless Cabrera starts producing like he's supposed to, there is no reason why Uribe and Cabrera shouldn't share the spot. While he's not batting .047 anymore, he got two of the s***tiest RBI I've seen last night. He's playing just as hit or miss as Uribe, only when Juan hits, he hits it onto the expressway. When Orlando hits, he hits it just out of the second baseman's reach. Plus, Uribe's cooler.

I really hope this isnt serious. Cabrera is without a doubt a better shortsop than Uribe. Also you dont platoon a guy battin 240 on an upswing with a guy under 200.

Also, there is absolutely no such thing as a sh**y rbi, and Uribe couldnt hit his way out of a paper bag.

And the only way i could see uribe being cooler is from all the ice cream sandwiches im sure hes munchin on while on sittin on the bench. :gosox3:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 07:36 AM)
I really hope this isnt serious. Cabrera is without a doubt a better shortsop than Uribe. Also you dont platoon a guy battin 240 on an upswing with a guy under 200.

Also, there is absolutely no such thing as a sh**y rbi, and Uribe couldnt hit his way out of a paper bag.

And the only way i could see uribe being cooler is from all the ice cream sandwiches im sure hes munchin on while on sittin on the bench. :gosox3:

I assume you must mean as a total package, not just defensively. Because Uribe is definitely a better DEFENSIVE shortstop than O-Cab. Not much question in my mind.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 08:38 AM)
I assume you must mean as a total package, not just defensively. Because Uribe is definitely a better DEFENSIVE shortstop than O-Cab. Not much question in my mind.

There really isn't a question. I make no secret of being a Uribe basher, but he is better in the field hands down.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 07:24 AM)
That's because he has. Since May 18th, he is batting .385 with a .985 OPS in 52 ABs. When he gets a better feel for the strikezone and can take some walks, he is going to be even better.

I don't ever see Alexei being a guy who walks more than 30 times a year. I could be wrong, but he loves to swing the bat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)
I don't ever see Alexei being a guy who walks more than 30 times a year. I could be wrong, but he loves to swing the bat.

He's got an IdoD of .022, which is garbage. Don't get me wrong, I like what he brings, good range, a strong arm and can hit the ball with some pop from the middle infield. Guys like that aren't very common.

I compared him to a poor man's Soriano (albeit one actually capable in the field) at SSS. I don't think Ramirez is ever going to be a guy that is walking 50 times a year, but he can certainly learn a bit of discipline up there.

A 290/330/450 line would be excellent from him at the end of the year.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
He's got an IdoD of .022, which is garbage. Don't get me wrong, I like what he brings, good range, a strong arm and can hit the ball with some pop from the middle infield. Guys like that aren't very common.

I compared him to a poor man's Soriano (albeit one actually capable in the field) at SSS. I don't think Ramirez is ever going to be a guy that is walking 50 times a year, but he can certainly learn a bit of discipline up there.

A 290/330/450 line would be excellent from him at the end of the year.

What is IdoD?

Anyway, as I watch Ramirez, he's an exciting player with a lot of potential... but he reminds me of a shortstop who once played in Chicago. I'll probably get verbally pummelled for this, but... he reminds me of Shawon Dunston.

The book on Ramirez in Tucson was he could hit any fastball and the breaking stuff would get him.

Thus far he has looked to be looking all breaking balls, which he should, and fouling off the fastballs deeper in the count.

This to me shows signs of a player that can be successful in the majors. The fact he has the tools and ability to play anywhere in the field is another plus.

On top of all of this, he seems to have rejuventad the Count which makes him a favorite of mine.

In the last few days he seems to have cut down on his swing as he gets deeper into the count, yet another bonus.

Christ, I could go on all day.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
What is IdoD?

IsoD = Isolated discipline. OBP - AVG = IsoD

It shows how heavily weighted a hitter's OBP is by his batting average. The greater the difference between OBP and AVG the better.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)

It shows how heavily weighted a hitter's OBP is by his batting average. The greater the difference between OBP and AVG the better.

So its the same as (BB + HBP)/TPA, which shows plate discipline? Got it.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 09:39 AM)
The book on Ramirez in Tucson was he could hit any fastball and the breaking stuff would get him.

Thus far he has looked to be looking all breaking balls, which he should, and fouling off the fastballs deeper in the count.

This to me shows signs of a player that can be successful in the majors. The fact he has the tools and ability to play anywhere in the field is another plus.

On top of all of this, he seems to have rejuventad the Count which makes him a favorite of mine.

In the last few days he seems to have cut down on his swing as he gets deeper into the count, yet another bonus.

Christ, I could go on all day.

Im going to spitball a little on this one.

I feel like in ST he wasnt as far up in the batters box as he is now. Since he is up so far I feel like he is getting to the breaking balls a bit earlier which is helping him make solid contact before they drop off the table. He has the fast hands to turn on any fastball and now his swing is beginning to stay in the zone longer which is allowing him to either make contact on breaking balls or foul them off.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)

Well, in most cases, yes. I think that depends on slugging though. I'll take a guy with a .380 OBP and a .320 BA if he slugs over .475 or so versus a guy with a .400 OBP and a .275 BA that slugs the same all day, every day.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
Im going to spitball a little on this one.

I feel like in ST he wasnt as far up in the batters box as he is now. Since he is up so far I feel like he is getting to the breaking balls a bit earlier which is helping him make solid contact before they drop off the table. He has the fast hands to turn on any fastball and now his swing is beginning to stay in the zone longer which is allowing him to either make contact on breaking balls or foul them off.

Makes you wonder why Pauly has never done this, considering how good he is at getting to the fastball. Although I guess this season, his problem has often been the change.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 09:39 AM)

This has been the most uplifting thing for me. He has shown he's not another Uribe... he really can cut down that swing and be effective with it. We dont see it a ton yet, but we've seen it.

Those early count big wallops make sense now if he can really do what he did in that last at-bat last night, getting serious 0-2 and foul a bunch off.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
Well, in most cases, yes. I think that depends on slugging though. I'll take a guy with a .380 OBP and a .320 BA if he slugs over .475 or so versus a guy with a .400 OBP and a .275 BA that slugs the same all day, every day.

That's not what I meant. "Better" in terms of plate discipline. The higher the IsoD the "better" that hitter is at drawing walks that doesn't necessarily mean a player with a high IsoD is a more valuable hitter than someone with a low IsoD.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
That's not what I meant. "Better" in terms of plate discipline. The higher the IsoD the "better" that hitter is at drawing walks that doesn't necessarily mean a player with a high IsoD is a more valuable hitter than someone with a low IsoD.

Right.

The better question is "Are hitters with a better IsoD generally more productive hitters"?

That's sort of where I was going with that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
Right.

The better question is "Are hitters with a better IsoD generally more productive hitters"?

That's sort of where I was going with that.

Well if you have 2 players with very similar OBP and SLG numbers but one has a .050 point advantage in batting average, you go with him since a single > a walk.

Example 1:

Player A: .300/.380/.500/.880

Player B: .250/.380/.500/.880

It's player A all the way.

Example 2:

Player A: .300/.330/.500/.830 (IsoD = .030)

Player B: .260/.370/.500/.870 (IsoD = .110)

Now who are you taking?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
Well if you have 2 players with very similar OBP and SLG numbers but one has a .050 point advantage in batting average, you go with him since a single > a walk.

Example 1:

Example 2:

Now who are you taking?

Way to confusing for me and bit of stat overload. I'll take Yaz and the don't tell what you hit, tell me when you hit guy....unless Catfish or Sam McDowell are pitching, than all of those numbers are crap.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)

Example 1:

Example 2:

Now who are you taking?

Player B.

All these Sabermetrics stats have a value. However, I do not think this one is a very good one.

I am taking the player that hit more hits than receive walks. A hit can get me an error from the defense if the ball is not fielded cleanly or the throw misses the cutoff man. A hit can get me a guy from second to home or from first to third.

Swisher has an OBP of 326 and an ave of 202. Therefore, his IsoD is 124.

Alexei has an IsoD of 17. I'll take Alexei over Swisher in a heartbeat. The below are my reasons:

I am taking the player that hit more hits than recieve walks. A hit can get me an error from the defense if the ball is not fielded cleanly or the throw misses the cutoff man. A hit can get me a guy from second to home or from first to third.

Edited by Cubano

I just wanted to say that this thread is one of the best this year . Watching Alexei has been so much fun lately and Cubano you should be working for the Sox in an advisory capacity. I think you should email Kenny Williams the link to this thread. Oh and Cuban woman are some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. !

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
I just wanted to say that this thread is one of the best this year . Watching Alexei has been so much fun lately and Cubano you should be working for the Sox in an advisory capacity. I think you should email Kenny Williams the link to this thread. Oh and Cuban woman are some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. !

Cafe con leche I believe is the cuban term for the ladies I like from there. Cubans have a way of determining skin color as it relates to milk and coffee, pretty awesome IMO.

Alexei needs to start, almost had two HR's yesterday as he put a good swing into his 2nd at bat out to LF. Plus he's been very good defensively it seems. Anyways to that Player A/B stuff, I'd rather have a player with a line of .240/.380/520 than a .290/.320/.360 line.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)

The White Sox won't pay me good enough. Ha, ha , ha.

There are beautiful women everywhere.

Some cubanamerican women are:

Eva Mendes

Quotable Quotes:

"....It's fun to be a woman. It's fun to flirt and wear makeup and have boobs."

"..I'm a girl's girl."

"..One of the perks of being a girl is playing with makeup.."

"...guys can be yucky, and girls are sweet, soft and smell good."

http://www.evamendes.com/biography.html

Cameron Diaz

cubanamericangerman

http://www.cameron-diaz.com/profile/page2.html

Daisy Fuentes

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/557001342TbDlkd

Sissi born in Cuba and emigrated in her 20's.

http://www.stuffmagazine.com/cover_girls/girl.aspx?id=325

Vida Guerra born in Havana.

Check this one out. Vida means life and Guerra means war.

http://www.vidasworld.com/

I take Eva or Vida anytime. I better stop here in case I get banned from this forum.

Edited by Cubano