Bulls do not hire Doug Collins as head coach

A New Candidate Emerges: Flip Saunders

By Jason Gage

ChiSport.com

Upon firing interim head coach Jim Boylan, Paxson indicated that he would search far and wide and take his sweet ass time until he met the right guy to lead the Bulls. For the past 7 weeks, Bulls GM John Paxson has held true to his word. Paxson has interviewed assistants around the league (Jeff Hornacek, Tyrone Corbin, Brian Shaw, Kurt Rambis, etc). He even had a couple flings, which turned into one night stands, with a couple coaches of the year (Mike D’Antoni and Avery Johnson).

Right after his failed relationship with Mike D’Antoni, karma actually blessed the Bulls when the #1 pick fell into there lap (somewhere, there is a lesson to be learned). With the top pick, the Bulls job started looking sexy (kind of like an average man/women stumbling there way into an inheritance). Avery “Gold Digger” Johnson was all of a sudden interested in more than just a fling with the Bulls, but Paxson saw through Johnson and preferred another man, Doug Collins.

Since the middle of last week, Collins has been the heir apparent to the Bulls coaching throne, a position he previously held in the late 80’s. Collins is known as a no nonsense type of coach. In fact, you could make a lot of comparisons between Collins and Skiles. They both are meticulous game-planners who put a strong emphasis on teaching and defense. Offensively they contrast, Skiles ran a semi up-tempo offense, albeit not an overly creative one, which was based around the drive and kick. In Skiles defense, such system was partially designed/built around the roster he was given (which included zero low post scorers). On the Flipside, Collins runs a very slow, boring, uninspiring offense. However, when mixed with a good defense, this offense can work extremely well at putting teams away late in games (as it keeps oppositions from getting in a rhythm), which is something the Bulls struggled with last season.

Clearly there are numerous reasons why the Bulls should officially make Collins the next head coach, but I’d like to throw one wrench, err name, into the equation, Flip Saunders. What the Bulls have lacked over the past few years is offensive innovation. Defensively this team is solid and with the proper assistants brought in this team shall remain one of the best defensive teams in the league. The quickest way to improvement is not bringing in another defensive stalwart (hard to improve what isn’t broke), it is to bring in an offensive genius.

D’Antoni could have been a great fit, but he was unwilling to bring in a defensive assistant in Phoenix (Thiddeau could have been coaching the Suns as opposed to the Celtics) and its been reported that D’Antoni was reluctant to put much attention on defense in Chicago. Flip Saunders was able to improve Detroit’s offense while still keeping there defense strong and I believe he can do the exact same thing in Chicago. In addition, while the Pistons failed to win an additional title under Saunders, they did see numerous young players develop into key contributors, including rookie Rodney Stuckey.

At the end of the day Collins may be a good option, but Saunders is the perfect option.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug Collins still wants to be the Bulls head coach, but the ball remains squarely in the Bulls' court.

WSCR-AM (670) reported first and the Sun-Times confirmed that Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf wants to take as much time as he felt necessary to make sure he would be hiring Collins for the right reasons and not allow his close relationship with Collins to cloud this important decision.

Meanwhile, the Associated Press is reporting that Sacramento assistant coach Chuck Person flew to Chicago today for a second interview. The interview was supposed to happen late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

Collins is said to understand Reinsdorf taking time to give the final OK. Collins, who at times has described Reinsdorf as being a father-figure, has made it clear to the Bulls and others that the only team he wants to coach is the Bulls. He has rebuffed overtures by the Phoenix Suns to become their next head coach.

Collins is intrigued with the youth of the Bulls, the league’s youngest team, and with the Bulls owning the top pick in the June 26 draft.

The Suns appear to be close to hiring Terry Porter, though Porter’s name could surface in connection with the Detroit Pistons after head coach Flip Saunders was fired there Tuesday.

The Bulls are not believed to be interested in Saunders, though things could change if Reinsdorf rejects Collins at this late stage. Sources close to the situation still expect Reinsdorf to ultimately hire Collins.

Bulls general manager John Paxson is said to be spending his time this week — while waiting for Reinsdorf's decision on Collins — trying to determine which player to take with the top overall pick in the draft. Paxson has been watching extensive video of both Derrick Rose and Michael Beasley. The Bulls expect to have both players in for two-day visits the week of June 16.

Sun Times.

I see Saunders ending up at Memphis taking over for Iavaroni somepoint early next season.

He's not a bad coach, but he's had really good talent and just never really gotten his team over the hump.

I'd like to see how he'd do with a young team like the Grizzlies actually.

IT'S FLIP SAUNDERS OR BUST FOR ME!

link

With second thoughts, Doug Collins backs out of Bulls coaching search

By K.C. Johnson

Tribune reporter

June 6, 2008, 3:26 PM CDT

Doug Collins will not be returning for a second coaching stint with the Bulls.

Collins and team Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf mutually agreed during a Friday-afternoon phone conversation that the Bulls' coaching search, now more than seven weeks old, would continue without Collins.

"I just knew over the last few days that Jerry was really struggling over whether or not to do this, and I didn't want Jerry to have those struggles," Collins told the Tribune. "I love him. And I didn't want him feeling that kind of angst.

"This is absolutely mutual. When this first came about, there was a tremendous amount of excitement about this possibility. And I'm losing that. The feeling now is more, 'Should I do this?' Once I got to that point, it meant no. I always make decisions yes is yes, no is no and maybe is no.

"Jerry knows me well enough to know the only way I could do this is if I was totally engaged. And I just couldn't do that now."

Collins, who turns 57 in July, said he'd continue his broadcasting career with TNT. He added this Bulls team is the only one for which he'd return to coaching.

"I'm not going to coach another team," Collins said. "I spiritually felt I was led to this opportunity in Chicago. Four or five things happened along the way for me to get to this point. My family was incredibly supportive.

"For many reasons, it didn't come to be. If I was ever going to do it again, I would've done it in Chicago with Pax and Jerry. But I'm not going to go to another city and start all over again and make my family make new friends.

"Kathy (Collins' wife) was so comfortable because we lived there for 10 years. We would've been closer to (children) Chris and Kelly. It was exciting for all of them, too. But it just wasn't meant to be."

Collins first contacted the Bulls on May 23--three days after they won the top pick in the NBA draft lottery--to inform them he had changed his mind about not wanting to coach. Reinsdorf and general manager John Paxson flew to San Antonio, where Collins was working the Western Conference finals for TNT, to interview him on Memorial Day.

Collins had one follow-up phone interview, then watched as Reinsdorf and Paxson conducted second interviews with Kings assistant Chuck Person and former Minnesota coach Dwane Casey this week.

Sources said Paxson signed off on Collins' hiring. Reinsdorf consistently and publicly has said he never tells his general managers whom to hire but that he can exercise veto power.

Collins refused to comment when asked if Paxson had made it clear he wanted Collins as his coach. But Collins said he understood Reinsdorf's hesitations because the two have become extremely close since Reinsdorf fired Collins in July 1989. Collins had just led the Bulls to the Eastern Conference finals.

"I understand if Jerry had concerns about firing me again," Collins said. "My whole thing is you can't enter into an agreement with somebody if down the road, you think there's a chance for failure.

"It would've been a lot of fun to coach the Bulls. But I am comfortable with this development. It happened the way it was supposed to happen."

The Bulls now likely will pick from among Person, Casey, Jazz assistant Tyrone Corbin and Rockets assistant Elston Turner.

Flip Saunders, fired by Detroit earlier this week, has sent feelers about the Bulls' job. But it's not believed Paxson has much interest in Saunders.

kcjohnson@tribune.com

Copyright © 2008, ChicagoSports.com

Im not sad. this guy had no interest in the coaching job until the 1st pick in the draft landed in the Bulls lap. Collins hasnt done anything so special that warrants my vote of confidence for him(not that he needs it, lol).

Hmm...

The other day, a South Bend radio, or was it a TV??, station reported Paxson is on the short list to become AD of Notre Dame. The rumor then had it that would make Collins the GM of the Bulls, and he'd go out on a coaching search. Maybe the Paxson to ND idea is going to become a reality, and Collins wanted no part of being the GM of the Bulls.

I'd still rather have Jackson or Johnson instead of Flip, but after Jackson's comments yesterday that Kobe is just as good as MJ on any given night, he can go jump off a bridge. Give me Avery- forget Flip.

OR, maybe D'Antoni will pull a Billy Donovan, pull out of his NY contract, and sign with the Bulls, as he could do wonders with Rose.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
A legit up and coming team? I dont understand your comment.

I think he means the most recent, awful, Bill Wirtz era Blackhawks.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
Hmm...

The other day, a South Bend radio, or was it a TV??, station reported Paxson is on the short list to become AD of Notre Dame.

That rumor was totally squashed by both sides. It was just speculation by a local South Bend tv station

OR, maybe D'Antoni will pull a Billy Donovan, pull out of his NY contract, and sign with the Bulls, as he could do wonders with Rose.

Billy Donovan left the Magic to go back to his original job, not for some other job. Aint gonna happen