Trade deadline

Lemon_44

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
Sabathia better net more than just Gallagher. You gotta look at what the Twins got for Johan, and increase it since he will be in HIGH demand. There are a few teams in the league that could make really good pitches for him.

I never said JUST Gallagher, I said they would want Gallagher, along with probably Pie, Smardajiza, and Vitters.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
Many people expect Smardaijza to give up baseball in a year or so.

talk about a guy who cashed in...

in 226 minor league IP he has only 114 Ks and 89 walks....... not good....add in the fact that hes already 23, and that all = non prospect

oh yeah and he got a bigger contract than just about everyone ever drafted...save josh beckett mark teixeira and a handful of others

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
Many people expect Smardaijza to give up baseball in a year or so.

Doesn't he get pretty much paid as long as he doesn't give up baseball for about 3 more years though? Aren't those next couple years worth like $8 million to him?

Why not bring up Josh Fields? I don't think we need a lefty bat -- who's a lefty going to replace in the lineup? Instead, we need a right handed hitter who can spell Jim Thome.

I'd vote for Fields well ahead of Getz because he has proven he can hit major league pitching quite well. Getz hasn't.

Fields also gives us enough infield insurance -- he can rest Joe Crede -- that I would agree Pablo should be the odd guy out. Uribe can't hit, but he can field SS and 2B quite well, and we're on the hook for paying him, so we might as well keep him.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
IMO, there are two possibilities for that role. Lofton or Owens.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
I am FAR from an Owens fan, but if you a burner for the bench, we have that sitting in AAA.

You may mean a speedster for the starting lineup, but as others have said, there really isn't a place for an upgrade right now.

I believe theres another possibility, and tony youre right we do have him sitting in AAA and thats Dewayne Wise. BUTTTTTTT do we really need a 5th OF??? As far as the trading deadline goes unless some team offers you a ridiculous trade Id only look to trade Uribe.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
Ugh, he's the worst player in baseball this season. The guy looks like a mediocre hitting pitcher.

And yet it was only his 1st time up in the majors IIRC.

Reminds me of the Brian Anderson situation from 2006. He's worth perserveering with because of his defensive ability, plus he'll be cheap for a few more seasons at least.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
I never said JUST Gallagher, I said they would want Gallagher, along with probably Pie, Smardajiza, and Vitters.

Pie has zero value, Samardajiza will be out of baseball shortly, and I dont think that whole package gives a team much more than quantity instead of quality.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
Pie has zero value, Samardajiza will be out of baseball shortly, and I dont think that whole package gives a team much more than quantity instead of quality.

I actually heard a lot of teams were fairly interested in Samardjia. Pie has value, not as he once did, but he definitely has some value still. But I tend to agree, I don't see the Cubs having the impact prospects needed to snag a guy like CC. Maybe a Meche or Bedard even. But not CC.

The Indians need hitters more than anything anyway.

My guess would be they'd ask for Ramirez straight up, and that isn't going to happen, certainly for not a 2 month rental.

Just on the Indians, it shows how important Travis Hafner is to that team. He was a terror 2 seasons ago, but not anymore.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
This may not be popular, but what about Jay Gibbons? I know he used 'roids, but he is a left handed bat, or even Nook Logan, who I'm sure can play anywhere, and is a speedy, left-handed bat.

nook logan???really? might as well bring back TIMO

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)
nook logan???really? might as well bring back TIMO

Yeah, Nook Logan is terrible. I'd much prefer Owens to Logan simply because he doesn't cost the Sox extra money, even if that money is barely anything.

Anyone think Furcal could be had for the right package right now? I know he is injured, but he could be the type of player the Sox lack if he comes back strong from the injury. Unfortunately, I think the D-Backs have given the rest of their division way too much hope for the season so I am not sure the Dodgers will want to do anything. However, if the Sox could offer them a healthy SS in return (preferably Uribe), some young pitching help, maybe the Dodgers would bite in order to avoid waiting out Furcal's medical reports.

I'm really confused. Shortstop is the least of our worries, at least for this year. OC has played very well, both offensively and defensively. He had a slow start and some adjustment cramps but aside from that whats not to like about his performance.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 11:12 AM)
Doesn't make much sense at all for this season. Cabrera, like Furcal, are only signed for this season, and Orlando has really started to turn it on.

I do however think Furcal will be a big target for Williams in the off-season.

Oh, I thought he had more time left on his contract. My mistake.

I agree SS is not our big problem, but I thought Furcal was the type of hitter the Sox could use. If you were able to have Cabrera and Furcal on the same team and convince one to move to 2B it could strengthen the offense without hurting the defense.

Durham could be a very good pickup, however, I want Ramirez playing on a daily basis at least right now. He's done nothing to show that he shouldn't be an everyday player and he's a very integral piece of this franchise (since there is zero depth in the middle infield in the organization, although Beckham can hopefully change that) who needs to be playing.

However, you could make a case that Ray could get tons of ab's at 2B while Ramirez gets ab's at 2B as well plus CF while Konerko is on the DL. But this does essentially reduce Brian Anderson to bench play and right now I'm not a proponent about that (because I think now is a really good opportunity for the White Sox to see what Anderson is (a bench player who can provide tremendous defense, or a starting CFer).

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
I could be wrong, but with both being FA's after the season, I just don't see either one moving to another position in the middle of the season. It is a decent thought though.

I have brought it up before, but it didn't catch much fan fare. What about Durham? He probably is going to retire after the season, and is on the last year of his deal. He has had a great bounce back season, hitting .286 with a .372 OBP. With Roberts probably on the market, Durham could be a very nice cheap option for this club, similar to the Iguchi deal last year.

Lexi moves to the super sub role, but could still get a ton of time. With Konerko and Thome banged up and probably needing time off down the road, Swish moves to 1b/DH, and Lexi plays in CF. On top of that, Ray will need some time off, getting Lexi time at 2B, and could even give Cabrera some time off at SS. You could still get Lexi starts 2-3 times a week.

Here's the thing though...if you drop April from Alexei's numbers and just assume that those first 33 at bats were the time he needed to adapt to the league...he's actually performing at Durham's level. He's just hitting out of his mind right now. In May and June, Alexei's hitting .346, with a .375 OBP and a .889 OPS. He may not walk as much as Durham, but he's hitting with a hell of a lot more power and he's making up for the OBP by almost never striking out. His numbers may come back to earth, frankly I have no idea, but I don't know why we'd want to either give up something of any value at all to push Alexei to the bench nor do I know why we'd want to take Alexei's bat out fo the lineup if he can give us anywhere close to this kind of performance.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
I could be wrong, but with both being FA's after the season, I just don't see either one moving to another position in the middle of the season. It is a decent thought though.

I have brought it up before, but it didn't catch much fan fare. What about Durham? He probably is going to retire after the season, and is on the last year of his deal. He has had a great bounce back season, hitting .286 with a .372 OBP. With Roberts probably on the market, Durham could be a very nice cheap option for this club, similar to the Iguchi deal last year.

Lexi moves to the super sub role, but could still get a ton of time. With Konerko and Thome banged up and probably needing time off down the road, Swish moves to 1b/DH, and Lexi plays in CF. On top of that, Ray will need some time off, getting Lexi time at 2B, and could even give Cabrera some time off at SS. You could still get Lexi starts 2-3 times a week.

Ray Ray is a great option if the Giants are willing to part with him. My guess is for a decent prospect, Juan and cash he could be had.