Trade deadline

Lemon_44

I know the trade deadline is about 7 weeks away but it looks like the Sox should be very quiet throught the process. Usually the rumors start popping up around this time of year but, barring any injuries, i can't see why the Sox would be active players. Crede was the main guy speculated to be traded but he's going nowhere. The position players seem pretty set and the rotation/bullpen all have their roles filled perfectly. The team chemistry seems good but it always does when they're winning. The newspaper had a list of 5 guys that the Sox/Cubs may be intererested in but,unless Cleveland gives us Sabathia for next to nothing,i don't see why the Sox would make any big name deals. Other than a veteran SP that can fill in for some spot starts, and they may think Loaiza is that guy,the roster is pretty set. Even if a ridiculous offer was made for,say Crede, i don't think i'd risk shaking up the roster until the off season.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, there's not a person on our 25 man roster that I want to either trade or replace at the deadline other than Juan Uribe, who still may well be useful before the end.

[/quote Uribe is the only guy I can think of and really his sitting on the bench and not playing at all is baffling to me. He hasn't even been used as pinch runner.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 12:11 AM)
Juan Uribe is worthless at this point, I'd like to replace him with a serious LH bat off the bench. Would love a base stealing threat as well.

The question is why has he been made useless? He has a great glove and can hit with power, but has just sat.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)
Juan Uribe is worthless at this point, I'd like to replace him with a serious LH bat off the bench. Would love a base stealing threat as well.

IMO, there are two possibilities for that role. Lofton or Owens.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
Kenny Lofton would be a great bench guy for us right now instead of Juan.

Frankly though, I am not at all comfortable with Pablo being our only backup option on the infield. Think about it...pick up Lofton, your bench is Ozuna, Lofton, Anderson, Hall. What do you do when you have 2 infielders hurting for a game or two? Considering that in 05 we lost all 3 IF's for a day, losing 2 IF's for a couple days, especially with Crede's back, is something we just have to plan for.

Comparatively, right now we actually have 2 backup OF's, since our 2nd baseman can also play CF. So if we were to lose 2 OF's for a day, or an OF and a 1b for a day, we're still not screwed and can still hope to win the game. JD becomes your 2nd backup SS if you lose Uribe.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
Frankly though, I am not at all comfortable with Pablo being our only backup option on the infield. Think about it...pick up Lofton, your bench is Ozuna, Lofton, Anderson, Hall. What do you do when you have 2 infielders hurting for a game or two? Considering that in 05 we lost all 3 IF's for a day, losing 2 IF's for a couple days, especially with Crede's back, is something we just have to plan for.

Comparatively, right now we actually have 2 backup OF's, since our 2nd baseman can also play CF. So if we were to lose 2 OF's for a day, or an OF and a 1b for a day, we're still not screwed and can still hope to win the game. JD becomes your 2nd backup SS if you lose Uribe.

technically Swish is a backup IF'er as well but I get what you are saying. I just think having Pablo and juan is redundant, and juan adds only defensive value.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 04:41 PM)
technically Swish is a backup IF'er as well but I get what you are saying. I just think having Pablo and juan is redundant, and juan adds only defensive value.

I agree on that point...Swish is more so a backup 1b than a left side of the infield guy to my eyes, but I think you get the idea. If we're looking to replace Juan with a left handed bat, then I want him to be able to play 3b, 2b, and SS, otherwise, I think the change will lose us more games than it wins us.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)
The question is why has he been made useless? He has a great glove and can hit with power, but has just sat.

The answer is simple: the play of Orlando Cabrera and Alexei Ramirez over the past month

Cabrera is batting .301 and Ramirez is batting .377

Uribe should get comfortable on the bench

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 11:32 PM)
If they can replace Thome with a better bat, they should do it. Sorry for Jim, but if the opportunity is there, you have to take it.

I am sorry Jim but I am sorta thinking this as well.....but no one really comes to mind that we could get for next to nothing so I think we will stick with Jim...Sorry Griffey fans I would rather have big Jim DHing.....

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)

I think they are seeing if ramirez can keep handling second base over the longer term without burning out. If so Uribe should be gone and I bet owens gets called back up. Just a hunch.

We'll see what injuries we have before I'll say we won't need anyone. I believe we just got Big Frank back around this time in 05 and for a month he was hittin dingers. Then he went down and OH NO we need a bat.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
I agree on that point...Swish is more so a backup 1b than a left side of the infield guy to my eyes, but I think you get the idea. If we're looking to replace Juan with a left handed bat, then I want him to be able to play 3b, 2b, and SS, otherwise, I think the change will lose us more games than it wins us.

So right now we have:

3B: Crede, Pablo, Uribe

SS: OC, Alexei, Pablo

2B: Alexei, Pablo, Uribe

Thats not bad, if you have an injury to one of them, you bring up Getz who can play all 3. I guess if we sent Uribe away, we would still be ok, but would need to ditch one of the pitchers in the pen for someone like Getz.

With the way our rotation has been going, I don't think there is any need for 7 relief pitchers anymore. And Uribe is just a waste of 4.5 million on the bench. Personally, I'd drop Uribe and add Getz to the bench (I just hate limiting his playing time though as I still feel he has potential as at least a platoon guy), and drop Loiza and add Owens or someone fast to the bench for basically the role Dave Roberts had in 2004 for the Red Sox.

Besides for pinch runner late in games, I don't want to see Owens anywhere near the field though. We'd have a pretty solid bench:

C, Toby Hall (R)

INF, Pablo Ozuna (R)

OF, Brian Anderson (R)

Pinch Runner, Jerry Owens (L)

UTL, Chris Getz (L)

We'd be lacking some power though...

Edited by BearSox

i dislike uribe as much as the next guy but i don't think you do anything with him until two things happen. one, i want to see alexei keep this up over a more extended period of time, particularly once he starts seeing teams for the second time and they have a better scouting report on him. second, i want to see richar perform well in his rehab and earn a spot on the major league roster.

once those happen, i'll be comfortable trading uribe, dfa'ing him, or sending him on a slow boat to china. whatever.

but, at this point he does still have some value to the organization so there's no reason to do anything hasty.