Trade deadline

Lemon_44

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
The Cubs will make a pitch for CC Sabathia with Hill, Pie, Murton and another prospect or 2

Hill is older and can't find the strike zone, Pie's playing like absolute s*** in AAA, and Matt Murton is a DH playing LF. The Cubs can try, but there are teams with better packages they could put together for Captain Cholesterol.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
The Cubs will make a pitch for CC Sabathia with Hill, Pie, Murton and another prospect or 2

Actually, Cleveland would probably want Gallagher, and if the Cubs wouldn't give that up for Roberts, I don't see them giving him up for Sabathia.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
IMO, there are two possibilities for that role. Lofton or Owens.

Willy Taveras to steal some bags. Don't know what he'd cost, he's only 26 years old. But he can't hit for s***. Don't know if his legs are worth demoting or possibly even trading Anderson.

EDIT:

And I just realized Jerry Owens can do exactly what Taveras does. But I'm not certain about his injury and how it'll effect him running.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
Actually, Cleveland would probably want Gallagher, and if the Cubs wouldn't give that up for Roberts, I don't see them giving him up for Sabathia.

I can. If the Cubs can resign Sabathia, they're trading pitching for pitching. Sabathia is a Cy-Young winner. Galagher is not.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
I can. If the Cubs can resign Sabathia, they're trading pitching for pitching. Sabathia is a Cy-Young winner. Galagher is not.

I agree. Sabathia and Zambrano would be a pretty lethal 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation. Plus, no matter what their regular season record is, i can't see Piniella being confident going into the post season and having to rely on the likes of Dempster, Marquis,and Lilly.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 07:40 PM)
Hill is older and can't find the strike zone, Pie's playing like absolute s*** in AAA, and Matt Murton is a DH playing LF. The Cubs can try, but there are teams with better packages they could put together for Captain Cholesterol.

I hope so. I'd hate to see the Cubs get CC.

Bob

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)

Sabathia better net more than just Gallagher. You gotta look at what the Twins got for Johan, and increase it since he will be in HIGH demand. There are a few teams in the league that could make really good pitches for him.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
Willy Taveras to steal some bags. Don't know what he'd cost, he's only 26 years old. But he can't hit for s***. Don't know if his legs are worth demoting or possibly even trading Anderson.

EDIT:

And I just realized Jerry Owens can do exactly what Taveras does. But I'm not certain about his injury and how it'll effect him running.

Taveras would be much better than Owens due to the fact they are about on par speed wise (Owens might be a tick faster, but Taveras has the better technique, IMO), and Taveras can actually play D and he has a very strong arm. If he'd come cheap, I'd much rather have him on the bench than Owens.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
Taveras would be much better than Owens due to the fact they are about on par speed wise (Owens might be a tick faster, but Taveras has the better technique, IMO), and Taveras can actually play D and he has a very strong arm. If he'd come cheap, I'd much rather have him on the bench than Owens.

I think you have this odd ailment that doesn't allow you to see past the fact that Owens has no power and has a noodle arm. There is nothing wrong with his range or his glove in the OF so I really don't know why you keep saying that, one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. His range factor was 2.65 as a CF, his zone rating was .896. Aaron Rowand put up nearly identical stats to that last year (2.64, .889) and he had a pretty damn good defensive year, actually won a Gold Glove for what that's worth. For comparison's sake Brian Anderson in '06 was 2.87 and .883. Now let's compare that to, say, Darin Erstad, who everyone crapped on but was about an average CF - 2.57, .927 for '07. Ok for comparison's sake here let's use Barry Bonds, a genuinely terrible fielder. Do the stats back that up? Yup... 1.75, .813 (seriously that is awful).

Bottom line: hate Jerry Owens all you want for any of the reasons he gives, but being a bad fielder is not one of them.

Edited by lostfan

Forget Owens. If we replace Uribe on the roster with someone from our system, it better be Getz.

Chris Getz can play 2B, SS, or outfield including CF.

He's left-handed and can lead off if we need him too.

And Getz is batting .313 with a .837 OPS; he has 6 homeruns and 14 doubles.

Owens is batting .250 with a .635 OPS; he has 1 homerun and 8 doubles.

(They have almost the exact same number of at-bats - just over 200.)

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
Forget Owens. If we replace Uribe on the roster with someone from our system, it better be Getz.

Chris Getz can play 2B, SS, or outfield including CF.

He's left-handed and can lead off if we need him too.

And Getz is batting .313 with a .837 OPS; he has 6 homeruns and 14 doubles.

Owens is batting .250 with a .635 OPS; he has 1 homeruns and 8 doubles.

(They have almost the exact same number of at-bats - just over 200.)

I'm all for bringing up Getz, but not to replace Uribe. I'd rather replace Pablo.

Uribe is a plus defender at two infield positions, and at least adequate at 3B. Pablo is maybe average at 2B, slightly below at 3B, and awful everywhere else. Plus the team could use a lefty bat, and Getz can play everywhere Pablo does, but probably hit better.

If you DFA Uribe, you still have to pay the 4.5 million. I'd rather keep Uribe than Ozuna. If, for example, we lose OC to injury you know Uribe can handle the rigors of playing every day and not become a defensive liability.

If you DFA Uribe, you still have to pay the 4.5 million. I'd rather keep Uribe than Ozuna. If, for example, we lose OC to injury you know Uribe can handle the rigors of playing every day and not become a defensive liability.

Agree. Although I do find it very curious he hasn't started once since coming back from the rehab stint in AAA. I'm not sure he's even played?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)

What great leaps in technique has tavares made over owens and how can you even judge that, do you watch the rockies too, or just remember the 4 games in 05?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 07:12 PM)
The question is why has he been made useless? He has a great quality glove and can hit with power, but has just sat.

That's like saying that you are the best lumberjack in the world but you don't own an ax.

It is about time something is done with Broadway though, he pitched really well in his limited exposure last season and seems to be as major league ready as he ever will be, and with everyone in the rotation locked up through next season there should be some type of move made there. I think you are hard pressed to move anyone out of the rotation the way the team is pitching so that would lead you to trade Broadway, unless you are planning to move Contreras after the season a la Freddy Garcia. Maybe a Broadway and Ozuna for Taylor Teagarden or Max Ramirez and Ramon Vazquez to add a quality C prospect to the system and Texas can certainly use anyone who can pitch, especially since it seems they will be sending Millwood to the Braves sometime before the deadline.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
I am sorry Jim but I am sorta thinking this as well.....but no one really comes to mind that we could get for next to nothing so I think we will stick with Jim...Sorry Griffey fans I would rather have big Jim DHing.....

How about his teammate Adam Dunn? He might cost too much but he has amazing power. If we can I would also like to get lofton or maybe pierre on the cheap for a quick/ steal threat/ pinch runner/ 4th type.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
How about his teammate Adam Dunn? He might cost too much but he has amazing power. If we can I would also like to get lofton or maybe pierre on the cheap for a quick/ steal threat/ pinch runner/ 4th type.

Juan Pierre is essentially as far away from "Cheap" as any player in baseball. Lofton is available...but as I said a couple pages ago, if you replace Uribe with anyone who can't play the infield, you're setting a trap for yourself that could easily cost you more games than it wins you by only having 1 backup infielder.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
but as I said a couple pages ago, if you replace Uribe with anyone who can't play the infield, you're setting a trap for yourself that could easily cost you more games than it wins you by only having 1 backup infielder.

If anybody is going to be replaced, it's going to be Loaiza or somebody else from the 'pen. I don't see either Uribe or Ozuna going anywhere.