Brian Anderson

joejoesox

I'd rather see D-Wise starting games in CF when the option is there for the rest of the year, over BA. Wise is a lefty, plays above average CF defense, is a base stealing threat, and seems to be a lot more intelligent with a bat in his hands, understands counts he's in, etc.

BA can't even hit sliders that flatten out over the plate, it's pretty ridiculous.

BA for defensive substitutions only, late in games when we have a lead. Otherwise, put D-Wise out there until Paulie comes back and I guess Swish gets back out in CF.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
I'll admit it was disgusting watching Anderson swing and miss a hanging slider for strike three, but let's not appoint Wise as his limited successor. Especially in such a limited number of AB's.

Wise can't be any worse than what I've seen from BA this year, and he has plus speed over Brian on the basepaths (I'm aware Brian can steal bases, but Wise IS a faster runner). He's also a lefty which helps split up our righties in the lineup.

I don't really see any reason to send Wise back down over Brian after Paulie comes back, can anyone else think of one? Besides the cliche' "Brian has nothing left to prove in AAA."

He can't hit MLB pitching, so he's not proving anything being up here. Look at his at bats, they're brutal, he looks so confused until he lays into a mistake pitch that's straight as an arrow.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
I don't really see any reason to send Wise back down over Brian after Paulie comes back, can anyone else think of one? Besides the cliche' "Brian has nothing left to prove in AAA."

Brian Anderson is probably the best defensive center fielder in the game today, is one. Dewayne Wise was born in 1978 and has a career 353 at bats, is two. In the past three years, Dewayne Wise's batting average against RHP is .205 (lower than Anderson), is three. Dewayne Wise's career OBP is .241, is four. If you averaged his career numbers out to predict what he might do in a full year, it'd look like this: 298 AB, 41 R, 8 HR, 29 RBI, 14 BB, 48 SO, 11 SB, .201 BA, .241 OBP, .363 SLG, .604 OPS... is five.

Do I have to keep going?

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)
Brian Anderson is probably the best defensive center fielder in the game today, is one. Dewayne Wise was born in 1978 and has a career 353 at bats, is two. In the past three years, Dewayne Wise's batting average against RHP is .205 (lower than Anderson), is three. Dewayne Wise's career OBP is .241, is four. If you averaged his career numbers out to predict what he might do in a full year, it'd look like this: 298 AB, 41 R, 8 HR, 29 RBI, 14 BB, 48 SO, 11 SB, .201 BA, .241 OBP, .363 SLG, .604 OPS... is five.

Do I have to keep going?

Probably the best defensive center fielder in the GAME TODAY? I stopped reading your post after this.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
DeWayne is a 30 year old, minor league, journey man. He hit a nice homer today, but is no way the answer.

We aren't looking for an answer- we're looking for just average-solid play in the field and in the batter's box. Sure, Anderson is 10 notches higher than Wise in the field, but at the dish they off-set each other.

I don't care how old and how many ABs Wise has had as a major leaguer, the bottom line is, he can't be any worse then Anderson.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
I don't care how old and how many ABs Wise has had as a major leaguer, the bottom line is, he can't be any worse then Anderson.

Buuuuut, can he be any better? There's nothing in his history that says so. Even BA can hit a home run every once and awhile.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 02:57 PM)
Buuuuut, can he be any better? There's nothing in his history that says so. Even BA can hit a home run every once and awhile.

Left-handed bat, and a much needed speed-guy in the lineup.

Yeah, he can be better. Just watching his at bats since he's been called up, he just looks like he knows wtf he's doing. He has a plan when he steps into the box. BA looks absolutely mystified every single time

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
Left-handed bat, and a much needed speed-guy in the lineup.

Yeah, he can be better. Just watching his at bats since he's been called up, he just looks like he knows wtf he's doing. He has a plan when he steps into the box. BA looks absolutely mystified every single time

Look, if you want to be realistic about replacing BA on the bench, be realistic about the options. Dewayne Wise took a walk and hit a homer. Now he's a productive MLB bench player? There's a reason he's been shuffled around the league and never been given not only a chance at a starting spot, but a long term bench spot. If you want a left handed speedster, he's in the minor leagues and his name is Jerry Owens.

BA looks terrible at the plate, fine. But he has room to grow. He's younger and he's still raw. I'm not saying he'll ever find that growth, but the potential is there. And for some reason you don't think he's an upper echelon defender, and that's fine, but it's only because you're blind to it. If the Sox replace BA on the bench, I'm okay with it, but it had better not be with Dewayne Wise. He is not a good Major League baseball player.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
We aren't looking for an answer- we're looking for just average-solid play in the field and in the batter's box. Sure, Anderson is 10 notches higher than Wise in the field, but at the dish they off-set each other.

What if he went 1-4 today and didn't hit the homer? You're pretty much basing Wise's offensive potential on 1 at bat. Wise made it through waivers without anyone claiming him. BA would be claimed.

Edited by Dick Allen

this is pretty funny.

it's clear brian anderson isn't good. he constantly fails in situations where all he needs to do is make contact. it's happened multiple times this year. he also, most of the time, looks clueless with a bat in his hands (which leads to his failure in advancing runners)

but he's better than DeWayne, because DeWayne has had limited at-bats.

Got it.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
this is pretty funny.

it's clear brian anderson isn't good. he constantly fails in situations where all he needs to do is make contact. it's happened multiple times this year. he also, most of the time, looks clueless with a bat in his hands (which leads to his failure in advancing runners)

but he's better than DeWayne, because DeWayne has had limited at-bats.

Got it.

What's funniest is

Dwayne Wise is a much better hitter than BA. He hit a homer today. Screw his past in the big leagues,

forget his age. Who cares if nobody claimed him on waivers thus were not willing to pay him slightly more than minimum

to play for them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
What's funniest is

Dwayne Wise is a much better hitter than BA. He hit a homer today. Screw his past in the big leagues,

forget his age. Who cares if nobody claimed him on waivers thus were not willing to pay him slightly more than minimum

to play for them.

So what you're saying is that if somebody who doesn't get claimed when on waivers makes a big league club and hits .280, the guy with more career ABs should play because of the fact that he has more ABs.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
So what you're saying is that if somebody who doesn't get claimed when on waivers makes a big league club and hits .280, the guy with more career ABs should play because of the fact that he has more ABs.

If Dewayne Wise could hit .280, I'd be all for having him on the bench. But he can't.

Neither Anderson nor Wise put us over the top. Neither of them are going to be starting a whole lot once Paulie comes back.

The reason you play Anderson over Wise is because Anderson still has the chance to cement himself as an MLB player, either as a starting CF or a 4th OF. We're not even halfway through the season yet so there's a lot of baseball to come. Remember Brian was hurt much of the 2nd half last year and in the 2nd half of '06 he did a lot better. Who knows, a nice 2nd half by Brian this year and maybe the Sox suddenly have an internal option for CF. The bottom line is that Anderson still has the potential to change the way the Sox approach their OF situation over the next few years, and you don't throw that potential out the window in order to play a quad-A player like Wise who may be a marginal improvement if he's an improvement at all.

If injuries continue to be a factor and the Sox want someone better offensively than BA, the answer isn't going to be Dewayne Wise. Kenny will have to bring in someone via trade or FA. Randy Winn and Willy Taveras could be options, although hopefully KW doesn't feel he needs to go that route because the availability of Coco Crisp scares me.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
If injuries continue to be a factor and the Sox want someone better offensively than BA, the answer isn't going to be Dewayne Wise. Kenny will have to bring in someone via trade or FA. Randy Winn and Willy Taveras could be options, although hopefully KW doesn't feel he needs to go that route because the availability of Coco Crisp scares me.

I wonder what the availability for David DeJesus from KC is. I can't comment on his fielding (anyone know if he is good out in CF?) but he has a career line of .284/.358/.420/.778. Might be a decent stopgap to put in the #2 hole and allow the team to push AJ back down in the line-up where he belongs.

Or even Mark Grudzielanek at 2B from KC. .290/.332/.395/.727 career line. He's your prototypical 2 hitter with enough experience to bat first. (Would KC want to deal within the division? The Sox too?)

Other than that, it gets pretty thin. Mark Ellis? Or the dreamers: Brian Roberts, Ichiro.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
I wonder what the availability for David DeJesus from KC is. I can't comment on his fielding (anyone know if he is good out in CF?) but he has a career line of .284/.358/.420/.778. Might be a decent stopgap to put in the #2 hole and allow the team to push AJ back down in the line-up where he belongs.

Or even Mark Grudzielanek at 2B from KC. .290/.332/.395/.727 career line. He's your prototypical 2 hitter with enough experience to bat first. (Would KC want to deal within the division? The Sox too?)

Other than that, it gets pretty thin. Mark Ellis? Or the dreamers: Brian Roberts, Ichiro.

I'd like DeJesus (who wouldn't? He's a good player) but I don't think the Royals are serious about moving him. Grudz is always a nice fit but I think the Sox are either going to go in-house or will make a play at a younger player in his prime, like Mark Ellis or Hudson, or try to put together a package for Roberts or Figgins.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 05:37 PM)
I'd like DeJesus (who wouldn't? He's a good player) but I don't think the Royals are serious about moving him. Grudz is always a nice fit but I think the Sox are either going to go in-house or will make a play at a younger player in his prime, like Mark Ellis or Hudson, or try to put together a package for Roberts or Figgins.

I don't think they have the means to land Roberts or Figgins. I especially don't see why Anaheim would want to trade Figgins now that they saw how average their offense is without him in the lineup (he was on the DL.)

Baltimore is run by a bunch of morons, so there might be reason for hope there... but I still don't think the Sox can put together an attractive enough package to land him. Especially if other teams are asking about him.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)

You want Roberts or Figgins? It doesn't happen without talking about one of Danks, Quentin, and Floyd.