Brian Anderson

joejoesox

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
Yeah I'm just gonna go ahead and disagree with everything in this entire post except "sure he's great in the field." Because that part is true.

I think I do understand the hatred for Anderson though. As of today, 6/23 (2x3=6)/2008 (8-0-0-2 = 6), so essentially on 6/6/6, Brian Anderson's OPS is .666. I can see the force and power of Satan re-incarnated flowing through the veins of Brian Anderson each day he steps onto the field and it's evil; quite honestly, I'm a bit scared. There were thoughts he was a communist...no, he's no communist. He's just Lucifer.

Have I told you I loved you lately?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But other teams don't have anything invested in him and you are suggesting that they will give up something of value for him. So you must know more than the other teams.

Hey, we got some suckers to take Freddy Garcia off our hands, now didn't we?

And the word value was never used. I just said something. A bag of balls, a rosin bag, whatever.

Edited by the People's Champ

Sure he's great in the field, I'll give him that, but I would almost rather let them DH for him and give our pitchers a chance to hit.

What if that shot he hit off the wall vs. the Cubs would have been a homer or if he'd stretched it to a triple and scored?

He'd have been one of our few bright spots in the Cub flameout.

To those who hate Anderson I say ... do you also hate Swisher? Swisher has sucked.

Oh wait, Swisher draws walks, I forgot.

Swisher never gets a key hit, but some love him and hate BA who appears to be eons better than a year ago.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)

And the word value was never used. I just said something. A bag of balls, a rosin bag, whatever.

We have nothing to gain by trading Anderson.

What if that shot he hit off the wall vs. the Cubs would have been a homer or if he'd stretched it to a triple and scored?

He'd have been one of our few bright spots in the Cub flameout.

To those who hate Anderson I say ... do you also hate Swisher? Swisher has sucked.

Oh wait, Swisher draws walks, I forgot.

Swisher never gets a key hit, but some love him and hate BA who appears to be eons better than a year ago.

What if that? What if this?

It didn't happen.

And you can't compare him to Swisher, because Swisher has done something in this league

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
What if that? What if this?

It didn't happen.

And you can't compare him to Swisher, because Swisher has done something in this league

I mean, you COULD probably compare them to the extent where BA has the same average and a higher slugging percentage than Nick, along with being a superior fielder.

At least he hit it off the wall. He's shown some ability.

I can't help it, despite the numbers the stat people on here throw out, from what I've seen I can't hop aboard the Swish bandwagon yet.

Dare I compare him to my favorite Rowand? I better not start that up.

Go BA! Keep improving!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
At least he hit it off the wall. He's shown some ability.

I can't help it, despite the numbers the stat people on here throw out, from what I've seen I can't hop aboard the Swish bandwagon yet.

Dare I compare him to my favorite Rowand? I better not start that up.

Go BA! Keep improving!

Swish is better than he's started this year.

People need to let Row go. Embrace Brian as the younger, sexier, lower batting average but better fielding Rowand.

To that end, I still think Swish is a better option than BA or Sweeney in CF, and BA should remain the 4th OF.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)

You mean the Freddy Garcia who won 14 games in 2005 and had a sub 4 ERA? the Freddy Garcia who pitched in the clinching game of the World Series and threw 7 shutout innings? the Freddy Garcia who put up a more than respectable 4.53 ERA in 2006 and was absolutely phenomenal in September, leading some to believe he may have "re-invented himself?" the same Freddy Garcia who had 116 career wins and a career ERA of 4.01 at the time of the deal in over 1600 innings in the majors? that Freddy Garcia?

So, just so we are clear, you have compared Freddy Garcia and Brian Anderson, correct? Because if you say no, that's definitely what it appears as though you have done.

I mean, you COULD probably compare them to the extent where BA has the same average and a higher slugging percentage than Nick, along with being a superior fielder.

Get back to me if and when Anderson ever hits 35 HRs or drives in 95 runs in a season.....hell get back to me when he drives in 40

You mean the Freddy Garcia who won 14 games in 2005 and had a sub 4 ERA? the Freddy Garcia who pitched in the clinching game of the World Series and threw 7 shutout innings? the Freddy Garcia who put up a more than respectable 4.53 ERA in 2006 and was absolutely phenomenal in September, leading some to believe he may have "re-invented himself?" the same Freddy Garcia who had 116 career wins and a career ERA of 4.01 at the time of the deal in over 1600 innings in the majors? that Freddy Garcia?

So, just so we are clear, you have compared Freddy Garcia and Brian Anderson, correct? Because if you say no, that's definitely what it appears as though you have done.

No the Freddy Garcia that is on the back of a milk carton right now

If you seriously think the Sox didn't know that there was something wrong with Freddy when they dealt him, you're ON something

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)

Oh. I forgot he sucked and the whole world knew he was injured when we traded him and it was pretty clear everything was going to turn out this way. Also the Phillies knew Gavin Floyd was going to re-emerge in Chicago.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
Get back to me if and when Anderson ever hits 35 HRs or drives in 95 runs in a season.....hell get back to me when he drives in 40

We don't need him to do either of the first two.

If he hit .255-.260, hit 17 home runs, drove in 60 and played his usual defense over a full season, would anyone have a problem with him? He could likely do that with a starting role.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
You mean the Freddy Garcia who won 14 games in 2005 and had a sub 4 ERA? the Freddy Garcia who pitched in the clinching game of the World Series and threw 7 shutout innings? the Freddy Garcia who put up a more than respectable 4.53 ERA in 2006 and was absolutely phenomenal in September, leading some to believe he may have "re-invented himself?"

Just to be fair, it was pretty obvious to everybody here back in '06 that Garcia was in rapid decline. He pitched with a ton of heart that year, but he was reduced for getting hitters out with junk.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
We have nothing to gain by trading Anderson.

+1 If for no other reason that we don't have another ML-ready natural CF in the organization. Anderson has shown enough thus far to merit a spot as a 4th outfielder, IMO.

We don't need him to do either of the first two.

If he hit .255-.260, hit 17 home runs, drove in 60 and played his usual defense over a full season, would anyone have a problem with him? He could likely do that with a starting role.

then you can't compare the two cause you expect different production from each of them

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
then you can't compare the two cause you expect different production from each of them

There's nothing stopping me from comparing the two.

I've never advocated starting Brian over Swish, and, ask anyone, I carry Brian's jock more than anyone. BA should be starting now that PK is hurt, and always in CF (not sure why he wouldn't), but he's a solid 4th OF option.

His biggest problem right now is that he's DEAD pull. He's getting by on hits between SS and 3B. He's eliminated a bit of the hole in his swing, but I'd like to see him spray the ball more. Of course, he's pressing, because he knows his ABs are limited, and he still fully thinks he's capable of starting.

There's nothing stopping me from comparing the two.

I've never advocated starting Brian over Swish, and, ask anyone, I carry Brian's jock more than anyone. BA should be starting now that PK is hurt, and always in CF (not sure why he wouldn't), but he's a solid 4th OF option.

His biggest problem right now is that he's DEAD pull. He's getting by on hits between SS and 3B. He's eliminated a bit of the hole in his swing, but I'd like to see him spray the ball more. Of course, he's pressing, because he knows his ABs are limited, and he still fully thinks he's capable of starting.

Ramirez is a dead pull hitter as well, that's not stopping him from hovering around .300. Plus the dude has never his ML pitching before this year.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
Ramirez is a dead pull hitter as well, that's not stopping him from hovering around .300. Plus the dude has never his ML pitching before this year.

So your logic is that we shouldn't play Brian Anderson because Alexei has learned how to hit major league pitching faster than him?

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)

Different players between the ears.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)

If you seriously think the Sox didn't know that there was something wrong with Freddy when they dealt him, you're ON something

But you aren't comparing the Freddy Garcia of 2008 to Brian Anderson of 2008. You are comparing Freddy Garcia of the 06/07 offseason to the Brian Anderson of 2008. There's a monstrous difference between the two.

I also was under the belief that Freddy was in decline too, but the Phillies apparently didn't know or care too much. It also doesn't matter, because Garcia's track record and prestige was and still quite frankly is just a bit better than Anderson. That, and the fact that Anderson is damn near valueless at the current moment.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
Just to be fair, it was pretty obvious to everybody here back in '06 that Garcia was in rapid decline. He pitched with a ton of heart that year, but he was reduced for getting hitters out with junk.

Yeah I was here too, and his "split finger" that he developed in September was amazing. It was obvious he was in a bit of a decline, and I'm hoping he can make it back at some point this season or next, but I'm not holding out much hope for anything either way.

It still doesn't change his track record or his reputation as an innings eater, which Anderson has nothing comparable to...I know you aren't arguing that, but someone apparently is.