George Carlin Dies

lostfan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080623/us_nm/carlin_dc

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday, a spokesman said. He was 71.

ADVERTISEMENT

Carlin, who had a history of heart problems, died at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (9 p.m. EDT) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material, Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine about seven dirty words you could not say on television. A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of his "Filthy Words" routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

(Reporting by Dean Goodman; Editing by Patricia Zengerle)

Carlin was an icon, and my favorite stand-up comedian of all time. Dude was just hilarious. His earlier routines would have my stomach hurting from laughing too hard. The 10 Commandments was probably my favorite.

Only shame about Carlin is he had to end on the heels of his March comedy special on HBO. I thought it was atrocious. He literally spent half his routine on religion, and even used a few jokes from previous acts -- (ie, I was a catholic until the age of reason).

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 02:43 AM)
Only shame about Carlin is he had to end on the heels of his March comedy special on HBO. I thought it was atrocious. He literally spent half his routine on religion, and even used a few jokes from previous acts -- (ie, I was a catholic until the age of reason).

I was just telling a co-worker that his last special was not even close to what he used to be like, very laid back and not very like him.

What a shame. Somebody needs to send a phonebooth back in time to get Rufus :(

This is just terrible news. I just hope Joe Pesci lets him in to heaven (if there is one and if he even wants to go), cuz Joe Pesci is a guy who can get things done.

And the Baseball vs. Football bit has to be my favorite. "In baseball, you go home. I'm going home."

Sad, sad day.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)
This is just terrible news. I just hope Joe Pesci lets him in to heaven (if there is one and if he even wants to go), cuz Joe Pesci is a guy who can get things done.

And the Baseball vs. Football bit has to be my favorite. "In baseball, you go home. I'm going home."

Sad, sad day.

You are aware Joe Pesci is still alive, no? Perhaps you meant Bruno Kirby?

Carlin was great, and it's a loss for all fans of bitter, sarcastic biting humor.

My only regret about him was when I saw him, he hadn't announced that it was basically a warmup for his upcoming HBO show.

He worked off a yellow pad and re-did a bunch of bits, he was distracted and it wasn't very funny, unfortunately.

RIP, George. Guess you're going to find out if "He" exists or not after all.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
You are aware Joe Pesci is still alive, no? Perhaps you meant Bruno Kirby?

George Carlin, in his routines, said he worshipped the Sun (because he could see it) and prayed to Joe Pesci (because he was a good actor and it looked like he could get things done).

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
George Carlin, in his routines, said he worshipped the Sun (because he could see it) and prayed to Joe Pesci (because he was a good actor and it looked like he could get things done).

Joe Pesci doesn't f*** around. My neighbor had a loud ass dog next door that I couldn't get through to, I called Joe Pesci and he straightened that c***sucker out in one visit.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
Joe Pesci doesn't f*** around. My neighbor had a loud ass dog next door that I couldn't get through to, I called Joe Pesci and he straightened that c***sucker out in one visit.

So I've been praying to Joe for about a year now. And I noticed something. I noticed that all the prayers I used to offer to God, and all the prayers I now offer to Joe Pesci, are being answered at about the same 50% rate. Half the time I get what I want, half the time I don't. Same as God, 50-50. Same as the four-leaf clover and the horseshoe, the wishing well and the rabbit's foot, same as the Mojo Man, same as the Voodoo Lady who tells you your fortune by squeezing the goat's testicles, it's all the same: 50-50. So just pick your superstition, sit back, make a wish, and enjoy yourself.

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)

Ah, a pox on me then for missing the reference.

Carlin's best religious stuff was sheer brilliance. The religion = lifts on shoes bit from his very first SNL appearance in 1975 (use it for as long as you need to but don't let it cripple you, and don't go nailing lifts on the natives' feet) is still one of the most insightful religious commentaries I've ever heard.

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
So I've been praying to Joe for about a year now. And I noticed something. I noticed that all the prayers I used to offer to God, and all the prayers I now offer to Joe Pesci, are being answered at about the same 50% rate. Half the time I get what I want, half the time I don't. Same as God, 50-50. Same as the four-leaf clover and the horseshoe, the wishing well and the rabbit's foot, same as the Mojo Man, same as the Voodoo Lady who tells you your fortune by squeezing the goat's testicles, it's all the same: 50-50. So just pick your superstition, sit back, make a wish, and enjoy yourself.

:headbang

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
Ah, a pox on me then for missing the reference.

Carlin's best religious stuff was sheer brilliance. The religion = lifts on shoes bit from his very first SNL appearance in 1975 (use it for as long as you need to but don't let it cripple you, and don't go nailing lifts on the natives' feet) is still one of the most insightful religious commentaries I've ever heard.

Thou shalt always be honest and truthful

Thou shalt try really, really hard not to kill.