Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawks were up 2-0 after the 1st period on goals by Brouwer and Ladd. Brouwer's was a rebound and Ladd was a 3 on 1, Havlat with the nice pass. Kane would've had a goal if not for a whistle by the ref as the puck was dribbling through Gigueres pads. Would've put the Hawks up 3-0 early in the 2nd so of course Anaheim gets the next 2 goals. The 1st 1 on a bonehead attempt at handling the puck by Huet. He's been giving up juicy rebounds all game but playing fairly well making some big stops. Huet lookin shaky as Anaheim has dominated the 2nd so far.

I wonder if Skille is involved in a trade scenario possibly for Vermette. Seems odd he was up for a short period of time then today sent back and a former Duck player brought up. I know Quenville would love a center who could win a faceoff. Moving Byfuglien would free up salary and seems Aaron Johnson is at peak value though hasn't been playing. Would the Hawks give up all 3 players for Vermette ? Ah forgot about Sopel , might try moving him and his $2 mill salary too.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Toronto might be willing to part with Dominic Moore who plays pretty good , wins faceoffs well and only makes 900K. Only problem is he's an UFA at the end of the year but if the deadline is looming and the Hawks can't work anything out for Vermette, who is signed through 2010 and makes slightly less than Buff , look for the Hawks to push for Moore.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Havlat wins it in OT with great individual effort. He's been showing lately just how good he really is. He's a UFA after the season and is already making $6 mill. I wonder what it will take to resign him. He made a lot of money while injured and sure would hate to see him go. He's been looking like a superstar.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
Hossa taken off the ice on a stretcher tonight so if he's seriously hurt Detroit could be a big presence at the deadline.

the blues telecasters later said he was fine, and was taken off as a precaution after a recent neck injury. He was at a local hospital, but all signs say he wont even miss a game

BTW Booby Mac said tonight on TSN again the Chicago is pushing very hard for Vermette. He is #1 on the list. He did not say it would cost us Barker. P Mac said Skille and wiz would probably get that deal done but CBJ's are pressing hard as well.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
Havlat wins it in OT with great individual effort. He's been showing lately just how good he really is. He's a UFA after the season and is already making $6 mill. I wonder what it will take to resign him. He made a lot of money while injured and sure would hate to see him go. He's been looking like a superstar.

SS2K5 --

Question: who is leading the team in points?

Answer: Martin Havlat

I will be awaiting your apology mike.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
Everyone knew that the Hawks overpaid for Campbell no doubt.

But don't forget how bad our PP has been over the past few seasons.

That's the major reason why Campbell was signed. And yeah when it comes to re-signing Keith, Kane and Toews, that contract is going to come back and bite us in the ass. But Campbell wasn't signed for that reason. He was signed for this team to be better than they were last season, and obviously that goal has been achieved.

The goal is to win the Stanley Cup, not be better than they were last season.

If his contract ultimately gets in the way of that goal, which it certainly looks like it will, then the signing was awful. Our window isn't this year and this year only.

Let's also not give Campbell 100% of the credit for the PP being better. That's way too lazy of a correlation. Today's did you know: In 13 less games, Barker has 3 more power play points. And Kane runs the PP for the most part anyways.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 12:02 AM)
SS2K5 --

Question: who is leading the team in points?

Answer: Martin Havlat

I will be awaiting your apology mike.

NEVER!

GIVE ME TOEWS OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!

What a great effort. What impressed me most about it wasn't the move itself, but with the Duck defender hanging on Havlat, he was strong enough to not only stay on his feet, but to get a great shot off. I had no idea Havlat was that strong.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
BTW Booby Mac said tonight on TSN again the Chicago is pushing very hard for Vermette. He is #1 on the list. He did not say it would cost us Barker. P Mac said Skille and wiz would probably get that deal done but CBJ's are pressing hard as well.

Blue Jackets got him. Damn !

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 01:04 AM)
The goal is to win the Stanley Cup, not be better than they were last season.

If his contract ultimately gets in the way of that goal, which it certainly looks like it will, then the signing was awful. Our window isn't this year and this year only.

Let's also not give Campbell 100% of the credit for the PP being better. That's way too lazy of a correlation. Today's did you know: In 13 less games, Barker has 3 more power play points. And Kane runs the PP for the most part anyways.

I know that's the ultimate goal, but you can't just jump from not making the playoffs 1 season to suddenly winning it the next, without makin some major signings.

The Hawks aren't going to win the cup this year IMO, but they'll have an excellent opportunity next season if they can re-sign Havlat for a deal round $4M, dump Sopel's contract, and upgrade at the 2nd line C and RW from losing Khabibulin's contract.

Who knows if the Hawks would have signed Campbell had they known that Quenneville was definitely going to be their coach. I don't think either of those 2 had a falling out before, so for whatever reason they just haven't gotten along.

My guess is the Thrashers would probably trade for him to show Kovalchuk that they're serious about winning, if the Hawks really wanted to deal him.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
For who?

Pascal Leclaire has been mentioned.

Leclaire it is!

from thn.com

Leclaire to Ottawa

03.04.2009 / 10:03 AM

The first deal of the day, according to TSN, is a pretty good one.

Ottawa has moved forward Antoine Vermette to Columbus, in exchange for goalie Pascal Leclaire.

Leclaire, who last his job when his injury allowed Steve Mason to emerge as the best young goalies in the game, will try to regain No. 1 status in Ottawa. The Senators thought they had a No. 1 in Martin Gerber this season, but he flamed out and has been put on waivers twice in 2009.

Columbus GM Scott Howson has been looking for a center and Vermette could fit the bill. Vermette plays both center and wing, but is also a very good faceoff man.

Columbus also sent a second-round pick to Ottawa, according to TSN

Howson may still be in the market for a No. 1 center to play with Rick Nash.

We'll have more details as they become available.

--Shawn P. Roarke

Ottawa have been desperate for a good young goalie for a long time (one that's actually normal unlike Ray Emery).

Leclaire is injury prone though. I think Columbus have done pretty well there.