Ridiculocity

TCQ

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 02:29 AM)
I just think when you're in contention, it's ridiculous to even consider showcasing a lesser player that everyone knows won't net you anything useful.

I know what you are saying, but don't you think this is just the way Ozzie has always handled subs? He likes to use subs to rest the regulars and Uribe has the ability to play good defense at at least SS and 2B and maybe even better than Ozuna at 3B as a sub. If defense is key to any of this I still think Ozuna should be the one on the block other than for financial reasons. Uribe makes $4.5M and Ozuna gets paid less for sure. Question is if we trade Uribe how much of his salary do we eat?

Edited by elrockinMT

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just play the same 9 guys in line up game in and game out. After all they are the best we got, so you have to do that to TRY AND WIN TODAY'S GAME! The should be the ultimate factor in deciding the line up.

Cheese Us.

Ask Leo Durocher how that plan plan worked out for him. Oh wait, you can't because he's dead. Just like his team was at the end of the '69 season.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 09:15 AM)
Agree. Every team has all the video they need at this point. If the Dodgers or Orioles want to see him play live, I'm sure they've already got all the reports in at this point. There's really no mystery left with Juan.

Guus are constantly scouted, and I do agree, teams have probably already figured what they are getting if they get Uribe. The problem is Uribe was hurt. Since he has come back, he's made very few starts. Teams need to see him play in order to determine if he is healthy. They don't want to trade for him and a day later put him on the DL.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 12:25 PM)
Guus are constantly scouted, and I do agree, teams have probably already figured what they are getting if they get Uribe. The problem is Uribe was hurt. Since he has come back, he's made very few starts. Teams need to see him play in order to determine if he is healthy. They don't want to trade for him and a day later put him on the DL.

Eh...I know they want to see something, but he started a few times after coming back, a couple times recently, how much do you need? How does he move to his left, to his right...God knows he'll swing enough to please any scout. :D

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 09:02 AM)
If teams feel the need to see Uribe in a "showcase" start they are highly misinformed.If the league doesnt know what they are gonna get out of him at this point you sure have some dumbass people running your organization.

Uribe has to be showcased just to prove he is healthy. Everone already knows with Uribe you're getting a top level defensive SS who strikes out a lot, is terribly streaky, but who hits for 20 HR/70 RBI power. What showcasing proves is that he is healthy after being on the DL earlier. Nobody wants to trade for a guy who was on the DL and then never plays after he comes back.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
But it doesnt take that much to prove your health.It takes a game or two especially when it wasnt a major injury.cmon guys.

He had an injury to a leg that had him out 3 weeks and he's hardly played since being activated. He's played 2 games in a row. Its not like he's eating everyone's playing time. He's also not the reason the Sox lost the last 2 either.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
We are 17-22 in games which Uribe has started. Since we win almost 70% of games he has not started in, I do not want to see much more of him

They are also only 8-9 when Mark Buerhle starts. Maybe they should yank him from the rotation. The bench must play occassionally

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
They are also only 8-9 when Mark Buerhle starts. Maybe they should yank him from the rotation. The bench must play occassionally

Much smaller sample size than the one he showed earlier, and frankly, Mark didn't pitch that well for the first 2 months of the season now did he?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
Much smaller sample size than the one he showed earlier, and frankly, Mark didn't pitch that well for the first 2 months of the season now did he?

Its half the size. He's a pitcher who has more to do with the outcome of a game,probably at least twice as much, than a 2b batting 9th. It was a comment made in jest just to show how ridiculous the comment I was responding to was. If you really think Uribe is the reason the Sox are 17-22 when he plays and would be 5 or 10 games better if Ramirez or Ozuna played instead,.....wow.

Buehrle's only 8-9 because Uribe was starting in most of those losses. I'm joking. And I realize the bench must play occasionally, but in Uribe's case we need to put strong emphasis on occasionally.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
Buehrle's only 8-9 because Uribe was starting in most of those losses. I'm joking. And I realize the bench must play occasionally, but in Uribe's case we need to put strong emphasis on occasionally.

Considering he's had only 25 AB since May 15, I would say he only plays occassionally. I wonder who this board will blame when the Sox lose when Uribe is gone. I imagine it will be Thome's fault. Just think, if Uribe and Thome are gone, the Sox should probably go undefeated.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
Considering he's had only 25 AB since May 15, I would say he only plays occassionally. I wonder who this board will blame when the Sox lose when Uribe is gone. I imagine it will be Thome's fault. Just think, if Uribe and Thome are gone, the Sox should probably go undefeated.

There will be no blame. THe day that uribe is gone the sky will part and angels will sing...and we will never lose again.

ARam has gotten ridiculously better each month so far, his low OBP is mainly due to April and May

March/April (29 ABs): .138 AVG .138 OBP 0 HR 2 RBI 0 BB 3 K

May (61 ABs): .295 AVG .313 OBP 2 HR 5 RBI 1 BB 9 K

June (93 ABs): .355 AVG .381 OBP 3 HR 17 RBI 4 BB 9 K

July (14 ABs): .357 AVG .375 OBP 2 HR 3 RBI 1 BB 1 K

I hope we do not see Uribe out there unless someone desperately needs a rest

Edited by Shadows

QUOTE (Shadows @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 12:09 AM)
ARam has gotten ridiculously better each month so far, his low OBP is mainly due to April and May

damn those are sick stats in June and July

QUOTE (Noberto Martin @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 07:18 PM)
I'll never understand why Kenny picked up his his 4.5 mil option.

In an off-season that looks like an A for Kenny Williams, he clearly made a mistake here. He didn't want to be left without a SS, and picked the option up. I didn't agree with this move at the time either, but we can free this money up after the season.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 01:09 AM)

I think the White Sox are going to be extremely careful with Ramirez. This is his first full MLB season so I think Guillen will look to rest him more than he might a veteran.

QUOTE (Noberto Martin @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
I'll never understand why Kenny picked up his his 4.5 mil option.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
In an off-season that looks like an A for Kenny Williams, he clearly made a mistake here. He didn't want to be left without a SS, and picked the option up. I didn't agree with this move at the time either, but we can free this money up after the season.

The opportunity to trade for Cabrera and sign Ramirez didn't come about until after the 4.5 mil option pick up.

The team could have gone into Spring Training with Pablo Ozuna as its shortstop if Ramirez signed elsewhere (and he was unproven) and Garland hadn't been dealt.

It was kind of important at the time.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 6, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)
The opportunity to trade for Cabrera and sign Ramirez didn't come about until after the 4.5 mil option pick up.

The team could have gone into Spring Training with Pablo Ozuna as its shortstop if Ramirez signed elsewhere (and he was unproven) and Garland hadn't been dealt.

It was kind of important at the time.

I realize that they would have been left without a starting SS, but Uribe is not a starting SS anymore either, and the off-season was early enough for Kenny to find a replacement who could have least been an equal to Uribe, but for less money.