AJ Burnett, anyone?

Lemon_44

Now that CC has set the market,the secondary pitchers will now come into play. I think Milwaukee paid a small price for a Cy Young winning pitcher in the heat of a pennant race. I don't care what type of prospect Laporta is, to give up mainly a AA prospect for a difference maker like Sabathia,is a steal for Brewers in my book. That means a guy like Burnett can probably be had on the cheap as well. I know the Sox had interest in him when he was on the market last time and wouldn't mind seeing them go after him again. He's not having the best of years either and that will also lower his value. He has a pretty steep salary,i think 13 mill, and that will also be incentive for Toronto to move him. The Sox have said they would like to conserve MB innings and i'm sure the same could be said about Floyd and Danks. Getting a guy like Burnett could allow that and then he could move into Contreras's spot on next years team. I'm not on top of our prospects and how they're doing but a Lance Broadway and a top AA prospect would seem to be enough now that Sabathia has been had for 1 top prospect and 3 lesser ones. I know Sabathia's value is somewhat diminished by impending free agency but to pick up a guy of his quality, at this time of year, for that price, makes these other guys alot more available to contending teams.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
what kind of message does that send to Fields if you get blake for insurance at 3b?

1. We don't trust Crede and his back, especially on defense.

2. You are still starting next year, Blake is more of a utility guy.

3. We are trying to win now.

4. If we cut Uribe when PK is activated, we could use another reserve IF anyways.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)
It just isn't going to happen. The Sox right now are 5 deep, which most teams, playoff teams, can't say. Because of that, the Sox aren't going to outbid anyone for a top tier starter.

As Williams has said, don't expect a move. If anything, it will be a Blum type move. One guy I would look at is Casey Blake. I believe Fathom brought up his name before, and would be a real nice fit a 3B. I'm really starting to lose trust in Crede and his back, and his struggles against LHP has been brutal. Blake is on a one year deal, and doesn't have a ton of value to the Tribe, especially with Marte at the hot corner, so it's something that could be looked at.

You know you can't believe what Williams says and he's going to try and be extremely under the radar after what went on this past off season. I agree we are 5 deep but if you can acquire a top level guy without shaking up your current roster,i would think you have to look at it and we all know Williams gets enamored with guys that have stuff like Burnett does. I can easily see us standing pat, and couldn't blame them one bit, but Burnett could be the guy to put us way over the top especially if someone slumps or gets dinged up.Plus he could become a fixture in next years rotation as well. I also like the Blake idea.He can play either corner infield or outfield positions and play them well.

Burnett is certainly available, especially considering he has an opt-out clause in his contract which allows him to become a FA after this season. However, he has continued to battle injury as well as consistency problems, so while he would probably get more than his current $11 million per year, it's anyone's guess what the total package would be.

I don't think the need is enough for the price we would have to pay, especially since any GM we try to acquire pitching from is going to intially demand either Floyd or Danks (or both).

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
pass... i wouldn't mind getting raul ibanez realistically.

Where would he play? With Q in LF, Swisher back at CF, and Dye in RF, where does Ibanez fill in? Plus, isn't he one of Boras's clients?

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
Now that CC has set the market,the secondary pitchers will now come into play. I think Milwaukee paid a small price for a Cy Young winning pitcher in the heat of a pennant race. I don't care what type of prospect Laporta is, to give up mainly a AA prospect for a difference maker like Sabathia,is a steal for Brewers in my book. That means a guy like Burnett can probably be had on the cheap as well. I know the Sox had interest in him when he was on the market last time and wouldn't mind seeing them go after him again. He's not having the best of years either and that will also lower his value. He has a pretty steep salary,i think 13 mill, and that will also be incentive for Toronto to move him. The Sox have said they would like to conserve MB innings and i'm sure the same could be said about Floyd and Danks. Getting a guy like Burnett could allow that and then he could move into Contreras's spot on next years team. I'm not on top of our prospects and how they're doing but a Lance Broadway and a top AA prospect would seem to be enough now that Sabathia has been had for 1 top prospect and 3 lesser ones. I know Sabathia's value is somewhat diminished by impending free agency but to pick up a guy of his quality, at this time of year, for that price, makes these other guys alot more available to contending teams.

That trade was not a steal the brewers gave up a top tier prospect and three other prospects for a great pitcher for half a season. He wont resign, so they threw four prospects to the indians who are out it, and could technically sign him back next year with the prospects (They wont resign him tho i dont think). It was a steal for the indians if they get anything out of these four prospects because they dont need him this year, and they wouldnt have resigned him anyway.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
I don't care what type of prospect Laporta is, to give up mainly a AA prospect for a difference maker like Sabathia,is a steal for Brewers in my book.

I strongly disagree, but thats besides the point.

As per the actual suggestion, pitching isn't our concern right now. Why would we spend valuable prospects from our already thin farm system to add something we don't really need?

Hell no. I hope they wouldnt even pay $1 million to get him. I dont want him starting over any of the Sox current starters. He is the worst starter on the Blue Jays who have a pretty good rotation currently, but I think the Sox have an even better one (damn you all star selectors who know bull!) so they have no use for him. I think he has always been a terribly overhyped pitcher anyway, more flash then substance, more potential then performance, more expectations then results.

I honestly wish CC woulda stayed in Clev. Now instead of facing him a few times a year (or only a couple more times anyway) we potentially have to face a stud every-day player. They are getting 6 players out of this deal, and 1 is bound to be a sox killer.

Just like the Santana deal, I'd much rather face an Ace pitcher a few times a year than getting destroyed by the Carlos Gomez's 15 times a year

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 02:26 AM)
I honestly wish CC woulda stayed in Clev. Now instead of facing him a few times a year (or only a couple more times anyway) we potentially have to face a stud every-day player. They are getting 6 players out of this deal, and 1 is bound to be a sox killer.

Just like the Santana deal, I'd much rather face an Ace pitcher a few times a year than getting destroyed by the Carlos Gomez's 15 times a year

They're actually getting 4 players...Matt LaPorta, Rob Bryson, Zach Jackson, and a player to be named later.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 02:26 AM)

Uh no I'm glad as hell Santana and Sabathia are out of the division. Aside from a few times this season, it was an automatic loss when those guys started. Atleast position players don't have that kind of impact.

Also glad to see Santana and Sabathia out of the AL Central. Heres a thought. Its pretty obvious that Sabathia is just a rental for Milwaukee, what if the Sox signed CC this offseason? That'd be sweet. Though I doubt we have that kind of dough.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox15 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 04:15 AM)
Also glad to see Santana and Sabathia out of the AL Central. Heres a thought. Its pretty obvious that Sabathia is just a rental for Milwaukee, what if the Sox signed CC this offseason? That'd be sweet. Though I doubt we have that kind of dough.

He's probably looking for 7 to 8 years, and giving any pitcher that is generally a pretty poor investment. Add to it that the Sox rotation is already among the best in the majors, and I wouldn't even call his agent.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 01:32 AM)
FWIW, the Brewers traded 4 prospects for Sabathia and 2 prospects to be named come next June.

Still not a bad deal all around. Milwaukee is going for it. It gets an ace for the rest of the season. Cleveland loses CC but its not going anywhere anyway, loses 2 draft picks, but gains already established minor leaguers who have already been paid their bonuses. With CC's salary and the bonus money they would have to pay, they probably save themselves $10 million and are better off next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 04:19 AM)
He's probably looking for 7 to 8 years, and giving any pitcher that is generally a pretty poor investment. Add to it that the Sox rotation is already among the best in the majors, and I wouldn't even call his agent.

I think Zito and in a smaller way, Santana, will make it nearly impossible for CC to get 7 or 8 years.