Trade Idea...

tonyho7476

Huston Street would be very nice in our pen. Actually, "Huston Street" and "our pen" are two phrases I probably shouldn't utter together unless it happens.

Even though what we have is working quite nicely, I still find myself nervous after our starter is pulled with even up to a 3 run lead. It's probably a product of last years collection of clowns, but I keep telling myself that and then we have KC by the throat twice only to let them back in...

Edited by ChiSox35

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
Wait...just heard Billy Beane has taken over as GM at Cleveland and will give us Grady Sizemore for a bag of balls and Juan Uribe.

Whats the diffrence between Juan Uribe and a bag of balls?

I wouldnt mind going after Kevin Gregg actually if the Marlins fall out of it. He could be had relatively cheap and it gives you someone who has been successfully closing for the past couple years in case Bobby needs a day off or more later in the year. Also, Francisco Cordero of Cincinnati could be a possibility as well

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
Seriously the bag of balls joke is extremely overused.

Sorry, how about a year's supply of pine tar?

And why are people seriously responding to this thread.

The Cubs just sent garbage out west, for a potential cy young award winner, if healthy. Its a big IF, but he is excellent.

So we're really questioning Billy Beane in this thread?

He's moved top of the rotation starters at the perfect time consistently (see Zito, Hudson, Mulder), he's gotten great value back (see Haren, Eveland), he's pulled legit Cy Young candidates out of his ass (Duchscherer), he's got a team that's 8 games over .500 after he continually is forced to deal his best players.

Yeah, let's question that guy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)
So we're really questioning Billy Beane in this thread?

He's moved top of the rotation starters at the perfect time consistently (see Zito, Hudson, Mulder), he's gotten great value back (see Haren, Eveland), he's pulled legit Cy Young candidates out of his ass (Duchscherer), he's got a team that's 8 games over .500 after he continually is forced to deal his best players.

Yeah, let's question that guy.

Listen, I'm hoping that Harden takes a dump...but do you think the Cubs really traded anything good?

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 09:18 AM)
Listen, I'm hoping that Harden takes a dump...but do you think the Cubs really traded anything good?

I don't thin Beane got fleeced. Im sure he made the bet deal he thought he could. He doesn't need to be in salary dump mode.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
Who? Gallagher? 3rd starter at best.

I'm no scout, but Beane has been an excellent evaluator of talent throughout the years and has constantly traded "ace" starters at the right time in their careers. They got some solid prospects in return, and he wasn't giving Harden away for nothing here.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 07:18 AM)

Good depends on your definition of good. Murton, Patterson and Gallagher will all have extended major league careers as starters. The Cubs didn't have open positions so they aren't really effected by the loss of the talent but the A's will be able to plug all three of these guys into there lineup immediately and in Gallagher's case you are talking about a guy with #2/#3 starter upside (very live arm).

Given Harden's injury history, I think you could call the deal a very fair return (especially since all three of the main pieces acquired should immediately become starters in Oakland).

Oakland didn't get any stars out of the deal, but still, it was a good time to trade Harden. His value has never been as high as it is now, and you can't rely on him, he's just too injury prone.

Gallagher will put up decent numbers pitching in Oakland, Murton will be a good OF for them if he gets the playing time, and Patterson could replace Ellis after the season (who I believe is a FA, IIRC).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
Good depends on your definition of good. Murton, Patterson and Gallagher will all have extended major league careers as starters. The Cubs didn't have open positions so they aren't really effected by the loss of the talent but the A's will be able to plug all three of these guys into there lineup immediately and in Gallagher's case you are talking about a guy with #2/#3 starter upside (very live arm).

Given Harden's injury history, I think you could call the deal a very fair return (especially since all three of the main pieces acquired should immediately become starters in Oakland).

Hell yeah, and if Dick Hardon gets hurt, then the Scrubs got majorly hosed. I like the deal for both sides though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)

The A's have a really crappy lineup though so just because those guys could start for Oakland doesn't really mean they would start on many other teams. I don't think they would start for the Sox, or Boston, or New York, or Minny, or the Angels, etc.

BTW, I don't even think Patterson is going to start for the A's with Ellis at 2B. Murton could probably start in LF.

If you look at how a guy like Sweeney has had success for the A's this season though, Murton could be the perfect "prototype" OF, that Billy Beane has been acquiring recently.

He'll need to produce from the get go though, because Carlos Gonzalez should be ready next season.

FWIW throughout the year there have been columns with "scout's takes" basically saying if Beane wanted a haul for Harden he would of had to wait until he pitched a full year healthy and teams weren't going to give him uber prospects for him. So this kind of follows that trend. Also, I believe he's never made more than 10 starts in a row and he's either on his 9th or 10th coming up.

It was a good move by the Cubs, I don't think any of those players are going to be awesome, but there is a SERIOUS injury risk with him and he can run his pitch count up. If everyone stays healthy the Milwaukee series the Cubs have left could be fun