Trade Idea...

tonyho7476

Or how about we just trade for Mark Ellis, and then dump Konerko on someone? Our lineup wasnt missing much without him, and our defense really improved. Kong wont get us much back, and really, who cares. He isnt giving us much value right now, and he could be a nice salary dump.

Trade for Ellis. Trade off Konerko. Alexei moves to CF, Swisher to 1B. Just improved your defense and payroll, and only a slight drop off in offense really since Konerko has sucked.

Konerko's a bonafide 2nd half hitter, and hopefully he's healthy for the 1st time in a couple of months.

For that reason, I don't expect any move to be made there. If anything, something may get done in the off-season if he doesn't turn it around, but we'll see.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
I'm no scout, but Beane has been an excellent evaluator of talent throughout the years and has constantly traded "ace" starters at the right time in their careers. They got some solid prospects in return, and he wasn't giving Harden away for nothing here.

He gave him away for nothing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 10:43 AM)
Good depends on your definition of good. Murton, Patterson and Gallagher will all have extended major league careers as starters. The Cubs didn't have open positions so they aren't really effected by the loss of the talent but the A's will be able to plug all three of these guys into there lineup immediately and in Gallagher's case you are talking about a guy with #2/#3 starter upside (very live arm).

Given Harden's injury history, I think you could call the deal a very fair return (especially since all three of the main pieces acquired should immediately become starters in Oakland).

For once, I just completely disagree with you here, Gage.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
For once, I just completely disagree with you here, Gage.

Dang, thats pretty rare. I usually read your posts and decide I don't have to comment (cause they are typically right in line with my thought process).

I do say that from the Cubs stand-point it has to be considered a steal because Gallagher is the only person who had any value to them (Patterson/Murton were not going to have an impact on the Cubs anytime in the near future unless significant injuries occurred).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
Dang, thats pretty rare. I usually read your posts and decide I don't have to comment (cause they are typically right in line with my thought process).

I do say that from the Cubs stand-point it has to be considered a steal because Gallagher is the only person who had any value to them (Patterson/Murton were not going to have an impact on the Cubs anytime in the near future unless significant injuries occurred).

take it with a grain of salt. Rowand44 has been frequenting the "i am drunk" thread alot

I think it was a matter of getting what he could before Harden got hurt.

Gallagher wasn't bad for a 22 year old this year and Murton/Patterson have torn up AAA for years and have never been given a shot. He didn't exactly give Harden away, Harden's value simply isn't that high.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
He'd want a package around Josh Fields, Aaron Poreda and Lance Broadway for Street I would imagine, maybe more.

And if that was the case, I'd tell him to go f*** himself sideways with a large lunchbox.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
Or how about we just trade for Mark Ellis, and then dump Konerko on someone? Our lineup wasnt missing much without him, and our defense really improved. Kong wont get us much back, and really, who cares. He isnt giving us much value right now, and he could be a nice salary dump.

Trade for Ellis. Trade off Konerko. Alexei moves to CF, Swisher to 1B. Just improved your defense and payroll, and only a slight drop off in offense really since Konerko has sucked.

So, putting Alexei in CF improves the team defense? Well I'll be damned. All this time I thought the defense was stronger because Swisher and Anderson were consistently being run out to 1B/CF... Nothing out there leads me to believe Alexei can play a better CF than Swisher, especially when I think back to the games he's already played out there. If the Sox want to try and unload Konerko, which won't happen given his 10/5 rights, they'd best look to find a center fielder. Why disrupt an already defensively superior infield and go moving around what looks to be a damn good prospect? One that most likely will shift over to SS next year?

Now, if you told me Ellis would play 2B for the next few years for the Sox, I might say something different. But, he wouldn't.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 07:24 PM)
So, putting Alexei in CF improves the team defense? Well I'll be damned. All this time I thought the defense was stronger because Swisher and Anderson were consistently being run out to 1B/CF... Nothing out there leads me to believe Alexei can play a better CF than Swisher, especially when I think back to the games he's already played out there. If the Sox want to try and unload Konerko, which won't happen given his 10/5 rights, they'd best look to find a center fielder. Why disrupt an already defensively superior infield and go moving around what looks to be a damn good prospect? One that most likely will shift over to SS next year?

Now, if you told me Ellis would play 2B for the next few years for the Sox, I might say something different. But, he wouldn't.

Yes, I think Alexei would be better in CF than Swisher, and yes I think Swisher would be better at 1B than Konerko.

And I know Konerko have his 10/5 rights. Are players still allowed to waive a trade clause?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
And if that was the case, I'd tell him to go f*** himself sideways with a large lunchbox.

It sort of begs the question though, if we could have gotten Street for the package we gave up for Swisher, who would you prefer?

And who do you think is the better ballplayer (considering age / contract here as well)?

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
It sort of begs the question though, if we could have gotten Street for the package we gave up for Swisher, who would you prefer?

And who do you think is the better ballplayer (considering age / contract here as well)?

Swisher, easily.

I would be all about moving Contreras in the right deal and acquiring Joe Blanton. Blanton is having a down season, but has a good arm and would be a nice middle of the rotation starter who should remain relatively affordable for the next couple of years. IF you trade for him, you still have two full seasons of him until he becomes an un-restricted free agent.

This puts you in a prime spot to acquire him and work out a 3 to 4 year extension (buying out his final two years of arbitration and pushing off the time until he becomes a UFA). It should be noted that one major risk is that his numbers would likely increase in a move away from Oakland (which is a pitchers haven). Another concern is how much this seasons struggles are due to him throwing 230 innings last year.

I would not give up top value to get him either (ie, top or premiere prospects in the organization; Josh Fields/Lance Broadway's, sure, but not Poreda). I'm also not saying he's an ace, rather the type of guy you can pencil in for 200 innings and a league average ERA (under good coaching I think he does better).

Whether Beane does that, I don't know and I'm not saying Fields/Broadway is enough to get a deal done. Rather stating that he's a guy that I'd acquire if you could get him for a fair value. I think he's a better pitcher than his career statistics would indicate; statistics indicate he's basically a league average pitcher). I also know last year Beane was asking an arm and a leg for Blanton (and should have sold him than cause his value on the open market right now isn't near what it was last season).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
Yes.

Heh, thanks, but I was actually being sarcastic because he said Because Konerko has 10/5 rights, he wont be traded. Once you ask Konerko to waive his no-trade-clause I think he might considering he is a good guy, and once you get asked that, then you realize they dont want you on the team, so.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 12:34 AM)
Heh, thanks, but I was actually being sarcastic because he said Because Konerko has 10/5 rights, he wont be traded. Once you ask Konerko to waive his no-trade-clause I think he might considering he is a good guy, and once you get asked that, then you realize they dont want you on the team, so.

Good guys don't necessarily want to their home for half the season 1500 or so miles away from a place where they are comfortable. If I'm Paul Konerko, I would consider it a slap in the face more than anything.

He's been off the disabled list of for all of 3 games. Give him a bit more time than that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 02:38 AM)
Good guys don't necessarily want to their home for half the season 1500 or so miles away from a place where they are comfortable. If I'm Paul Konerko, I would consider it a slap in the face more than anything.

He's been off the disabled list of for all of 3 games. Give him a bit more time than that.

Yeah, I gave him the first 3 months, and he has been trending badly for a couple years now.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 04:02 AM)
Yeah, I gave him the first 3 months, and he has been trending badly for a couple years now.

He was average last year (compared to his entire career), and he had a phenominal year in 2006. You lose on the "trending for a couple years now."

If anything, he's been trending that way for a year and a half. And you don't trade him midseason. Perhaps you attempt to in the offseason, but that's as far as I'd go.

I would say that his career appears to be trending the way Eric Karros' went. And I also really wonder if PK wasn't on whatever the rest of the Cleveland Indians were on.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
He was average last year (compared to his entire career), and he had a phenominal year in 2006. You lose on the "trending for a couple years now."

If anything, he's been trending that way for a year and a half. And you don't trade him midseason. Perhaps you attempt to in the offseason, but that's as far as I'd go.

I would say that his career appears to be trending the way Eric Karros' went. And I also really wonder if PK wasn't on whatever the rest of the Cleveland Indians were on.

Well, his 2006 2nd half was worse than his 1st half, then 2007 kept with that decline, then in the 1st half of 2008 he continued it again. So there are your 2 years if you want to get technical.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 12, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
Well, his 2006 2nd half was worse than his 1st half, then 2007 kept with that decline, then in the 1st half of 2008 he continued it again. So there are your 2 years if you want to get technical.

You're counting a .917 OPS in the second half of 2006 and an .860 OPS in the first half of 2007 as a decline? Get f***ing real dude, those are perfectly acceptable numbers from a 1Bman, especially considering both are above his career average. Thanks for trying though.

If anything, he's been in a decline for about a year, and he's done that before too - during the second half of 2002 (after he was a home run derby participant), he lost all of his power in the second half of the year. That carried over into the first half of 2003 and he was hitting below .200 at the ASB, although his season arguably turned around when he hit a game tying home run against the Minnesota Twins on July 2nd - I recall Roberto Alomar in the lineup and Carl Everett in uniform but sitting on the bench. He hit that homer and then Thomas hit a game winning two-run homer, which is one of Hawk's most famous calls probably of all time. He then came back with a .275/.346/.507/.853 line in the second half of 2003 and hit 40 homers in 2004.

I doubt it'll be the exact same story this time around, but tonight alone proved that you don't just give up on a player because he's been through a rough stretch. I imagine Konerko will be a damn good hitter throughout the rest of the year and his time on the DL was a minor blessing in disguise as it allowed them to bring up Wise, who has proven to be a pretty capable lefty off the bench thus far.