The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 07:04 AM)
You have hit me on the head. I don't think the government should be in my wallet or my bedroom.

I think we should be paying to run the country, not borrowing money and expecting someone else down the line to pay for what we do today. If that is "in my wallet" I guess we disagree. I do think they should be out of the business of what adults with the mental capacity to consent to do in private.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
Kerry was a weak candidate who ran a lousy campaign. Swift boat was a factor too, but, he could have gotten past it if he were stronger in other areas, and had handled it differently.

Well, I think the thing that has disillusioned many people of my generation is that two great men (McCain, Kerry) have been completely undermined by political strategists with outright lies, not misleading facts, but outright lies that dig into the worst prejudices of the country.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 01:10 AM)
Well, I think the thing that has disillusioned many people of my generation is that two great men (McCain, Kerry) have been completely undermined by political strategists with outright lies, not misleading facts, but outright lies that dig into the worst prejudices of the country.

I sort of agree - they've both done great things in their time. But I am not sure I'd call Kerry a great man. Not completely UNSURE either, but, I'm on the fence. Funny, because I voted for Kerry, but likely won't be voting for McCain.

So I'm a huge Obama supporter and registered to vote in Illinois. I'm away at school in North Carolina and just realized my vote would probably mean more if I register in North Carolina, it seems there is an off chance we could go blue this year whereas Illinois will most definitely go blue. What do you guys think? If I want to do this, how do I go about canceling my Illinois registration?

QUOTE (HawkDJ @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
So I'm a huge Obama supporter and registered to vote in Illinois. I'm away at school in North Carolina and just realized my vote would probably mean more if I register in North Carolina, it seems there is an off chance we could go blue this year whereas Illinois will most definitely go blue. What do you guys think? If I want to do this, how do I go about canceling my Illinois registration?

I was in the same situation in Missouri. I registered in Missouri. Check if there is a democratic office or an Obama office in your town and I'm sure they can help.

Certainly took long enough. This is an excellent move from a business perspective for MSNBC, and frankly she's excellent on the air. It will of course annoy the Republicans, but Hell, they've got Fox.

Just in time for the closing rush of the presidential election, MSNBC is shaking up its prime-time programming lineup, removing the long-time host –- and one-time general manager of the network — Dan Abrams from his 9 p.m. program and replacing him with Rachel Maddow, who has emerged as a favored political commentator for the all-news cable channel.

The moves, which were confirmed by MSNBC executives Tuesday, are expected to be finalized by Wednesday, with Mr. Abrams’s last program on Thursday. After MSNBC’s extensive coverage of the two political conventions during the next two weeks, Ms. Maddow will begin her program on Sept. 8.

MSNBC is highlighting the date, 9/8/08, connecting it to the start of the Olympics on 8/8/08, as a way to signal what the network’s president, Phil Griffin, said “will be the final leg of the political race this year.” He added, “We making that Rachel’s debut.”

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 07:11 AM)
I was in the same situation in Missouri. I registered in Missouri. Check if there is a democratic office or an Obama office in your town and I'm sure they can help.

vote in both. they don't check.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
Certainly took long enough. This is an excellent move from a business perspective for MSNBC, and frankly she's excellent on the air. It will of course annoy the Republicans, but Hell, they've got Fox.

I love Rachel, but I feel bad for Abrams. his show is great too - they should just have her replace "Race for the White House", which is pretty bland.

If they have a choice between the two, I vote Abrams > David Gregory.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
vote in both. they don't check.

What is it with people wanting to commit crimes in this forum today?

Oh, and if you're voting for Obama, I'll bet there'll be a hundred people checking. New registrations on college students, that's a wonderful place to have people lined up to challenge voters at the polls.

QUOTE (HawkDJ @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)

I'd go with NC. Just don't vote in IL, don't bother trying to get out of that registration, it will be way too much of a pain.

By the way, welcome to the Buster... you need to read, agree to and post acknowledgement in the MUST READ thread, pinned, before posting further in here. Then, please do keep posting!

Did you all see where all the blather about anyone besides Clinton is all a smokescreen to get Clinton on the ticket? Since 25% of Clinton supporters are all pissed off and that's the only way to unify the party is to have her on the ticket, it's all hush hush until Thursday night - SPRINGGGGGG! Clinton it is! This is also supported by the notion that Obama has lost the backing of some Democrats according to national polls. I guess this was floated by Ralph Nader.

:lolhitting

BRING IT ON!

:D

Seriously, I hope that's not true.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)
Did you all see where all the blather about anyone besides Clinton is all a smokescreen to get Clinton on the ticket? Since 25% of Clinton supporters are all pissed off and that's the only way to unify the party is to have her on the ticket, it's all hush hush until Thursday night - SPRINGGGGGG! Clinton it is! This is also supported by the notion that Obama has lost the backing of some Democrats according to national polls. I guess this was floated by Ralph Nader.

BRING IT ON!

Well I have to figure democracy says that because she came a close second and got some 18 million votes she should be strongly considered at least.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)

BRING IT ON!

The sound you heard would be that of the Democrats self-distructing. Its been interesting to watch exactly how helpless Obama's camp has been in dealing with a defeated Clinton camp. He whipped her, and he STILL can't put her to rest. She is still holding influence over every step of the process, including forcing her way into the convention and being put on the ballot there. It is amazing. I wonder what the backroom dynamic is that won't allow them to get rid of the Clintons?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 06:44 AM)
The sound you heard would be that of the Democrats self-distructing. Its been interesting to watch exactly how helpless Obama's camp has been in dealing with a defeated Clinton camp. He whipped her, and he STILL can't put her to rest. She is still holding influence over every step of the process, including forcing her way into the convention and being put on the ballot there. It is amazing. I wonder what the backroom dynamic is that won't allow them to get rid of the Clintons?

I agree. They get TWO nights at the convention, they get a roll call, and they seem like they're getting more then we know at this time. It's not Obama's coming out party, it's a celebration of the Clintons at this point.

Ah what a GOP Nomination will do to you:

Back in 2000, McCain clashed with then-Gov. George W. Bush over his unwillingness to change platform language that called for a human life amendment banning all abortions.

McCain implored Bush to join him in wanting to add exceptions for rape, incest, and danger to the life of the mother.

During an April 14, 2007 media availability which followed the Iowa GOP's Lincoln Day Dinner in Des Moines, McCain reaffirmed his support for changing the platform.

But now that he is the presumptive Republican nominee, the McCain camp is making it clear that he has no plans to push for changes to the platform.

McCain's decision to leave the platform untouched follows a warning from a prominent social conservative.

"If he were to change the party platform," to account for exceptions such as rape, incest or risk to the mother's life, "I think that would be political suicide," Tony Perkins, the president of the conservative Family Research Council, told ABC News in May. "I think he would be aborting his own campaign because that is such a critical issue to so many Republican voters and the Republican brand is already in trouble."

"If he doesn't change the platform, then he's being the same kind of hypocrite that he accused Bush of being in 2000," Jennifer Blei Stockman, the co-chairwoman of Republican Majority for Choice, told ABC News in May.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 04:44 AM)

Ha! I think it shows strength. He's not afraid of them. Let them have their moment. After all, she did have a sizable primary votecount and he is a former President.

I think the R's are worried, and they should be.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
I normally hate dopes on YouTube, but this is ingenious:

lol that man is obese

i can understand why he is voting Obama, it's gonna costs millions in health care to keep that guy alive.

:lol: