The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

Hastert reaches plea deal over hush money allegations

Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert on Thursday reached a plea deal in a criminal case involving charges that he paid $3.5 million is hush money to cover up wrongdoing from decades ago as a high school teacher in Illinois.

U.S. District Judge Thomas Durkin ordered Hastert to enter the guilty plea at 9 a.m. on Oct. 28, according to a report from the Chicago Tribune.

Story Continued Below

Sources previously told POLITICO on Wednesday that it is likely the deal will include more than a year in prison for violating a federal banking law because he withdrew $900,000 to pay someone in an effort to cover up past misconduct.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/hast...7#ixzz3ofzO2iyO

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
Huckabee agrees poor people should be sold into slavery for stealing.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/10/...ckabee-slavery/

Not defending what he's saying, but if he's limiting it to what we have now - making inmates perform low level tasks/labor....why is that a bad thing? Say you robbed someone and get a year in jail. You can't pay any penalty or fee because you have no money, but you can sit in jail for a year, or do some kind of state construction work/clean-up. Maybe something like city landscaping or beautifying. Would that really be awful? I think that would be a better system for both the state and the criminal.

edit: eh, ok i reread that and nevermind. the host literally is saying lets follow the verse in Exodus and Huckabee agreed. Disregard.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
Even if it's what you first said, yeah, that can lead to pretty terrible results. Plus, every job that a prisoner is doing is a job that won't go to a regular person.

So long as you're getting some kind of benefit as the criminal, e.g., reduction in jail time, I couldn't care less if they're exploited. They're criminals and they're being provided a benefit they shouldn't ordinarily get.

And I don't think something like city clean-up is a job that exists, or if it does, it's on an incredibly small scale. Send some prisoners from Cook County out to some of the s***ty areas of the city with abandoned lots and have them pick up garbage for a few hours. 1) they're not stuck in jail causing problems, 2) they're doing something a little positive for the city. Win-win all around.

edit: and are you saying they should be paid minimum wage?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

OK ... on a lighter note, SNL opened with a political skit again on the democratic debate. They got it right in getting the guy from Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry David, to play Bernie Sanders. Unfortunately he wasn't funny. Bad writing.

Alec Baldwin was the closest to being funny and he wasn't. The only chuckle came again from the great Kate McKinnon who usually has at least one funny Hillary line. Her material wasn't really that good either, just the basic funny premise that Hillary wants to be president so badly.

Did you watch it? Think it was OK? I'd give the skit a C-. And the Larry David part a D. Sorry SNL. Not funny enough.

On a serious note: Guys, I've been thinking more about her email thing. I'm thinking if this was anybody else she'd be out of the race over this issue. I'm thinking she is skating on this one and it probably was serious enough to take down anybody else who had done it.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 18, 2015 -> 11:14 PM)
OK ... on a lighter note, SNL opened with a political skit again on the democratic debate. They got it right in getting the guy from Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry David, to play Bernie Sanders. Unfortunately he wasn't funny. Bad writing.

Alec Baldwin was the closest to being funny and he wasn't. The only chuckle came again from the great Kate McKinnon who usually has at least one funny Hillary line. Her material wasn't really that good either, just the basic funny premise that Hillary wants to be president so badly.

Did you watch it? Think it was OK? I'd give the skit a C-. And the Larry David part a D. Sorry SNL. Not funny enough.

On a serious note: Guys, I've been thinking more about her email thing. I'm thinking if this was anybody else she'd be out of the race over this issue. I'm thinking she is skating on this one and it probably was serious enough to take down anybody else who had done it.

There have probably been 20 things Trump has said, 10-12 that Carson has said and at least 5 that Fiorina has argued (especially the Planned Parenthood stuff) that in a normal year would have wiped out any traditional political candidate before they even got started with their campaign.

Her own husband has survived numerous "bimbo eruptions" (Gennifer Flowers, Paula Jones, Monica Lewinsky) and Whitewater simply due to the fact that he was the most skilled politician and also considered likable by nearly everyone in the beginning ("he's like one of us, eating at McDonald's and then constantly struggling with his weight") and being a Rhodes Scholar with encyclopedic policy detail retention probably didn't hurt much, either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
https://www.yahoo.com/politics/cia-shrugs-o...9243022390.html

Uh oh...CIA not convinced by Benghazi email investigation that top secret national security that would put lives at risk was breached.

This is all nothing. She's skating free of any responsibility. Look, the fix is in. Hillary is president the next 8 years. Pity the middle class and poor. We're doomed economically 8 more years which pretty much will guarantee 2 generations of kids will not even have it as good as their parents (unless born wealthy).

Edited by greg775

Great news. CNN sources say Biden is running. He would not be running if he didn't think he had a GOOD chance of beating Ms. Hillary. He's got connections that must be telling him he has a good shot. I mean I know these people have big egos but Biden wouldn't risk this if he knew he was gonna lose. Cmon America. It's time for Biden!!! A Biden-Bernie ticket would be special.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)
Biden has definitely shown he knows when to run for president.

The political scene is so weird. Obama would win the next four elections if he could run another 16 years. Yet his VEEP is despised and it's Hillary the Democrats want to coronate.

I don't get it. Why not give it to Biden eight years, then Michelle Obama? I'm being serious. She's a lot more likeable than Hillary and she could prep for the job by getting a spot in Biden's inner circle, maybe secretary of state. But Biden is despised by the Demos despite the fact his boss is beloved, and Hillary the only choice of the elite and the people. Weird.

So let me summarize ... Obama? Would keep winning and winning if he could run again. His VEEP?: No chance. Hillary?: In by a landslide.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
The political scene is so weird. Obama would win the next four elections if he could run another 16 years. Yet his VEEP is despised and it's Hillary the Democrats want to coronate.

I don't get it. Why not give it to Biden eight years, then Michelle Obama? I'm being serious. She's a lot more likeable than Hillary and she could prep for the job by getting a spot in Biden's inner circle, maybe secretary of state. But Biden is despised by the Demos despite the fact his boss is beloved, and Hillary the only choice of the elite and the people. Weird.

So let me summarize ... Obama? Would keep winning and winning if he could run again. His VEEP?: No chance. Hillary?: In by a landslide.

This can be said of many past presidents...and there are a multitude of reasons why we don't allow it. Something that should be done to congressmen, senators, judges, and every other public servant, too.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 05:38 PM)
This can be said of many past presidents...and there are a multitude of reasons why we don't allow it. Something that should be done to congressmen, senators, judges, and every other public servant, too.

In Minnesota, judges must retire once they hit 70. I like that rule.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 09:19 PM)
Term limits for legislatures can be pretty terrible. You constantly have a stream of people with little or no experience and no long term strategy or relationships moving through office.

Because the opposite has done us so well in that regard? Experienced legislators simply gain the experience on how to insert sneaky wording and other "pork" into the law without anyone noticing.

Maybe the term limits can be longer, but I wouldn't mind term limits imposed on them.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 06:36 AM)
Because the opposite has done us so well in that regard? Experienced legislators simply gain the experience on how to insert sneaky wording and other "pork" into the law without anyone noticing.

Maybe the term limits can be longer, but I wouldn't mind term limits imposed on them.

I agree with both of you. Madigan is a great example in Illinois. Too much time in office and too much power. But look at Rauner (granted, not a member of the legislature), he has no political experience and totally bunked his line-item veto power by not utilizing it. You need a happy medium with term limits. Something like 12-16 years.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 06:36 AM)

They also gain experience on how to craft legislation, build coalitions and actually get things done. Look at the Crazy Caucus that's currently blowing up the house--it's a bunch of people with little or no previous experience and only a few years in the House who don't seem to understand how a legislative body is actually supposed to function. State legislative bodies that have term limits face similar problems.

Incumbency bias is a problem in its own right, but term limits are a solution that do more harm than good. For the executive branch, it makes a little more sense. For the judicial branch, I'd prefer some long-duration appointment (20-25 years?) that could be renewed rather than appointments for life.

Harper out as Prime Minister in Canada as Liberals get a solid majority.

Canada has three main parties, the Conservatives, the Liberals (center-left) and the New Democratic Party (left-liberal). The anti-Harper sentiment coalesced behind the Liberals over NDP, giving them a majority in Parliament and forcing Harper out.

edit: this race started 12 weeks ago and saw a 69% turnout. Compare to our 2-now-pushing-3 year Presidential elections and turnout rates.

Edited by StrangeSox

Biden isn't hated or despised.

He did run for president in 1988 and was largely disqualified because of plagiarism accusations at that time.

He's a loyal foot soldier, very bright albeit long winded and a pretty astute guy but probably a bit too old now...and I'll say the same about either Clinton at this point in their lives. You need a younger candidate with energy and stamina to deal with the constantly evolving world today.

I'd rather have Rubio than Clinton, Biden or Sanders....if he's actually able to free himself from the Tea Party and govern from the middle and propose a real solution on immigration that will unite the country.