The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 07:48 AM)
Ben Carson claimed in writing that he was offered and turned down a full scholarship to West point. There is no record of this ever happening.

Compare it to his multiple other crazy personal lies and it seems like he's a serial liar who needs to puff up his own story

And he is using the "I don't really remember the details" route, yet his campaign manager seems to be spinning all of the details. He's about done.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
And he is using the "I don't really remember the details" route, yet his campaign manager seems to be spinning all of the details. He's about done.

He's not about done. The public recognizes the media is after him. As far as lying, let's go after all the candidates as hard as we're going after Ben. They ALL LIE. Sad, but true.

Let's not forget, Joe Biden almost immediately dropped out of the 1988 race over plagiarism charges.

If the authenticity of your personal story comes into question, or you end up spending more time on Holocaust and Egyptian granary questions, it's going to be difficult to ever get back on track, at least based on the way he handled himself in the CNN interview. Trust is easy to lose and hard to regain.

Making the media the target only works for so long.

At any rate, Trump and Ted Cruz, Rubio to a lesser extent, are the big gainers nationally and in Iowa.

http://news.yahoo.com/ben-carsons-home-eer...-195358324.html

I'd love to believe this will be the end of Carson, Klingon/Worf Jesus with Ben, but will probably have the reverse effect.

How can you allow a Biblical inscription with Proverbs spelled incorrectly to not be fixed asap?

Tommye

6 minutes ago 2 9

At some point somebody is going to agree with me that this guy is WEIRD (in capital letters). To me it appears that he is his own best fan and is not close to anybody. I am sure he must be wealthy and I am happy for him, but doesn't the Bible say something about it being easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven? It appears that this particular "rich man" has spent a substantial amount paying homage to himself. Everyone has an opinion and this is just mine, but I am leaving Dr. Carson in the same category I put him in yesterday when I was convinced that he and the truth don't seem to be on the same page.

Expand Replies (2) Reply

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 12:27 AM)
http://news.yahoo.com/ben-carsons-home-eer...-195358324.html

I'd love to believe this will be the end of Carson, Klingon/Worf Jesus with Ben, but will probably have the reverse effect.

How can you allow a Biblical inscription with Proverbs spelled incorrectly to not be fixed asap?

Tommye

6 minutes ago 2 9

At some point somebody is going to agree with me that this guy is WEIRD (in capital letters). To me it appears that he is his own best fan and is not close to anybody. I am sure he must be wealthy and I am happy for him, but doesn't the Bible say something about it being easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven? It appears that this particular "rich man" has spent a substantial amount paying homage to himself. Everyone has an opinion and this is just mine, but I am leaving Dr. Carson in the same category I put him in yesterday when I was convinced that he and the truth don't seem to be on the same page.

Expand Replies (2) Reply

The media is rotten. Who cares if he has a shrine to himself in his house? How bout some stories on all the lives he's saved and improved as a surgeon if we want to go into his personal s***. Like all doctors don't have big egos. Again ... let's take this to Hillary as well. Oh wait ... no stories on her personality. Only renegade book writers and Websites can write about Hillary's treatment of people beneath her. Laughing my ass off.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
Ben Carson claimed in writing that he was offered and turned down a full scholarship to West point. There is no record of this ever happening.

Compare it to his multiple other crazy personal lies and it seems like he's a serial liar who needs to puff up his own story

Ben Carson claims that, while at Starfleet Academy, he successfully rescued the crew of the Kobayashi Maru.

Among the numerous portraits of himself in his home, this one of Carson with Jesus has to take the cake:

CTOQZ_oWwAAiNpc.png

This one featuring a giant portrait of himself in his massive home proudly displayed over a stone carving of a line from "poverbs" [sic] about humility is a strong challenger, though:

carson-11.27.2014-markmakela6.jpg

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 04:16 AM)
Among the numerous portraits of himself in his home, this one of Carson with Jesus has to take the cake:

CTOQZ_oWwAAiNpc.png

This one featuring a giant portrait of himself in his massive home proudly displayed over a stone carving of a line from "poverbs" [sic] about humility is a strong challenger, though:

carson-11.27.2014-markmakela6.jpg

Who cares about the pic? Yes he has an ego. So do all politicos.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
Ben Carson claims that, while at Starfleet Academy, he successfully rescued the crew of the Kobayashi Maru.

This was awesome on a different level awesome.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)

So you do not believe a black kid,from Detroit, who was the leader of the ROTC at his school, if he wanted to, would have gotten in to WEST POINT? Really?

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 11:01 AM)
So you do not believe a black kid,from Detroit, who was the leader of the ROTC at his school, if he wanted to, would have gotten in to WEST POINT? Really?

Irrelevant. Carson lied. You can think it is no big deal - I get that, and ultimately it probably isn't. But he did what he did. He said something patently false. Could be he remembered wrong. More likely it is just that he's got a monstrous ego (like most of these people) that naturally inflates all his accomplishments.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
Irrelevant. Carson lied. You can think it is no big deal - I get that, and ultimately it probably isn't. But he did what he did. He said something patently false. Could be he remembered wrong. More likely it is just that he's got a monstrous ego (like most of these people) that naturally inflates all his accomplishments.

Carson's latest lie is even funnier. He tells the story about how one of his college professors gave him $10 for being the only honest student willing to take a re-test after the initial set of tests were (not really) burned up in the fire. The truth was Carson got fooled by an article in a prank edition of the school newspaper and went to take the re-test.

Hey, if you gotta lie about something, it might as well be about how honest you are!

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 11:01 AM)

I do not believe that Ben Carson had a one-on-one dinner with General Westmoreland or that he was officially offered acceptance/scholarship to WEST POINT. Really.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
Carson's latest lie is even funnier. He tells the story about how one of his college professors gave him $10 for being the only honest student willing to take a re-test after the initial set of tests were (not really) burned up in the fire. The truth was Carson got fooled by an article in a prank edition of the school newspaper and went to take the re-test.

Hey, if you gotta lie about something, it might as well be about how honest you are!

It's part of a series of stories in his biography that play well to his target audience, Evangelicals. In the more hardline versions, redemption stories like Carson's that either border on or fully cross into ridiculously unbelievable are popular and just more proof of their faith and devotion and God's love. It's in the same vein as an allegory, but it's told like it's the absolute truth.

Ben Carson was this violent, terrible person growing up. He hit people, he yelled at them, he even tried to stab someone but that person was saved by a belt buckle. Then, he prayed and found God! He was saved! And when he was at his lowest, when he needed $10 for bus fare to get to church, God provided. When he was out of money again, this 'experiment' to find the most honest student came up, and he miraculously got another $10.

Some groups of people eat up stories like this uncritically. It reaffirms their own faith. That's where Carson's base of support comes from, and now that he's stepping out of a pretty cloistered world into the mainstream, these sorts of stories aren't just accepted as a matter of fact.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)

For Carson, it's a little bit different because he's running on his personal background and his honesty/trustworthiness as a person. Clinton, Kasich, Bush, Christie etc. are all running on their public office histories. Trump is running on his celebrity and business acumen. Fiorina is running on her business acumen, even if she doesn't actually seem to have any. But a candidate like Carson is running on being an "outside" and someone people can trust, unlike those career politicians. If his whole story is a lie, he's not really running on much of anything.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
I do not believe that Ben Carson had a one-on-one dinner with General Westmoreland or that he was officially offered acceptance/scholarship to WEST POINT. Really.

Pk, but you did not answe rthe question. It is highly likely/probable that a kid of his background with his grades in his situation, if he so chose, would have gotten a scholarship to West Point...

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
Pk, but you did not answe rthe question. It is highly likely/probable that a kid of his background with his grades in his situation, if he so chose, would have gotten a scholarship to West Point...

Cool. What does that have to do with his claims that he 1) personally met General Westmoreland and 2) was actually accepted to West Point but turned it down?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
Indeed. More confirmation that Ben Carson was duped by a prank, not given an honesty reward by his professor.

Exactly. The real story is that Carson was the most gullible student in the class, not the most honest (how would the scenario that Carson invented even have tested honesty? it makes absolutely no sense).

But that morphed into a story of 1) Ben Caron's moral superiority, especially over those other elitists at a place like Yale and 2) God's divine intervention to gift him another $10 in his time of need.

Carson also has a weird tale of a time when he wanted to fire a woman who worked in his department, but he didn't have the courage to do it. Fine, no big deal, very few people take joy in firing someone and it can be a difficult situation to face. But as he recounts it, he thanked God because one day she just disappeared and he never heard from her again, taking the burden off of his shoulders. No sign of concern for her well-being, just glad she's not his problem anymore.

It's like the story he told about the alleged hold-up at a fast food restaurant after the Oregon shooting. He claims that he was standing in line when someone came in the rob the place, and the guy pointed the gun at him. Brave Ben Carson redirected the robber to the cashier.

Who thinks these stories are personally flattering? They make him look like a sociopath, but he's apparently proud of them.