• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
Another race card from the liberal side of things. Philly columnist promises full-fledged class and race war if McCain wins. If you aren't sure your guy is gonna win, threaten whitey.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/opinion/20...eorge_Bush.html

This columnist is an idiot, as is anybody else who thinks anything like it. I will not say anything beyond that, because I don't think more than a handful of people are this dumb.

The best thing to me is the democratic rallying cry that McCain is "another 4 years of George W. Bush". Look I don't like McCain's pandering to the right that has gone on in the last several months, but to me that is all it is, pandering, not him changing who he is. If you like Obama, well that's fine, and if you don't like McCain, that's just fine too. But McCain is not the same thing as George W. Bush, it's a myth that I am shocked continues to spread. People seem to forget the 2000 GOP battle for president, and just assume they are the same person when they aren't. McCain is closer to W. than Obama (in part because Obama is an uber, uber liberal, even by democrat standards), but he and W. aren't the same thing at all.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 08:38 AM)
The best thing to me is the democratic rallying cry that McCain is "another 4 years of George W. Bush". Look I don't like McCain's pandering to the right that has gone on in the last several months, but to me that is all it is, pandering, not him changing who he is. If you like Obama, well that's fine, and if you don't like McCain, that's just fine too. But McCain is not the same thing as George W. Bush, it's a myth that I am shocked continues to spread. People seem to forget the 2000 GOP battle for president, and just assume they are the same person when they aren't.

But there's a huge flaw in that thinking...and it's thinking that the John McCain of 2008 is the same John McCain as we were sold in 2000. Considering that they oppose each other on so many different issues...basically everything related to domestic policy, tax plans, immigration, social security, abortion, torture, you name it...about the only thing that seems constant between the early 2000 McCain and the 2008 McCain is an incredibly aggressive militaristic foreign policy platform.

A great summary I read the other day that describes this current candidate...the 2008 version of John McCain is the man George W. Bush has been trying to be for the last 8 years, right down to the flight suit.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:38 AM)
The best thing to me is the democratic rallying cry that McCain is "another 4 years of George W. Bush".

It's a pretty sound campaign strategy if you ask me, it would be crazy of them not to do it. It'd be like the Republicans deciding to stop talking about lowering taxes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
But there's a huge flaw in that thinking...and it's thinking that the John McCain of 2008 is the same John McCain as we were sold in 2000. Considering that they oppose each other on so many different issues...basically everything related to domestic policy, tax plans, immigration, social security, abortion, torture, you name it...about the only thing that seems constant between the early 2000 McCain and the 2008 McCain is an incredibly aggressive militaristic foreign policy platform.

A great summary I read the other day that describes this current candidate...the 2008 version of John McCain is the man George W. Bush has been trying to be for the last 8 years, right down to the flight suit.

I can't really argue with any of this. MY HOPE is McCain has been pandering to the far right loonies to get where he is now, and that if he wins the White House, he'll go back moreso to what John McCain was in 2000. That's right, I am HOPING for a lying/flip flopping candidate in that sense, go figure. :lolhitting I am hoping I am right, but of course, it's possible I'm not.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Anyone recall when Bush selected Chaney as his VP, the grief he got for having received 5 draft deferments? Biden had the same amount of deferments. And, despite being a college football player and all around athelete, after the deferments ran out he received a Selective Service classification of 1-Y, (in 1968, middle of the war) meaning he was available for service only in the event of national emergency. due to a previously undiagnosed case of asthma. Maybe Democrats who gleefully questioned Cheney’s manhood and patriotism over this issue should now explain why they support a candidate for the same office with the same record of deferments.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
Anyone recall when Bush selected Chaney as his VP, the grief he got for having received 5 draft deferments? Biden had the same amount of deferments. And, despite being a college football player and all around athelete, after the deferments ran out he received a Selective Service classification of 1-Y, (in 1968, middle of the war) meaning he was available for service only in the event of national emergency. due to a previously undiagnosed case of asthma. Maybe Democrats who gleefully questioned Cheney’s manhood and patriotism over this issue should now explain why they support a candidate for the same office with the same record of deferments.

I heard this on a news clip this morning. Now if it were, say, Pawlenty (assuming he got picked), this would be spalshed all over the NYT front and center. THAT's media bias for you.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
I heard this on a news clip this morning. Now if it were, say, Pawlenty (assuming he got picked), this would be spalshed all over the NYT front and center. THAT's media bias for you.

You know, at least give credit to the NYT then who started with the most definitive articles on Hunter Biden and his lobbying controversies.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 06:07 PM)
You know, at least give credit to the NYT then who started with the most definitive articles on Hunter Biden and his lobbying controversies.

No, because that was pretty common knowledge from way back.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 06:07 PM)

Page A13. Not really front page, even below the fold.

For all the talk about McCain confusing Suni with Shia, seems Biden, master of security & foreign policy, can't seem to get the difference between brigades and battalions. 3 times in a week. You would think that his staff would have said something to him by now.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/20...at-joe-n-3.html

But heralding his own experience, Biden also said he "know(s) as much as anyone in government about" national security and foreign policy.

And for the third time since his acceptance speech a week ago, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee confused battalions and brigades.

“Over a year and a half ago,” Biden said of Obama. “He said we need two more combat battalions in Afghanistan.”

Actually, Obama called for two more combat brigades.

A brigade is bigger than a battalion -- a brigade, in fact, is composed of a varying number of battalions.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 4, 2008 -> 12:51 AM)
A13 and I read it...huh.

bmags, very few people read every page of the paper. Very few even LOOK at every page of the paper. Most people skim headlines and read selected stories. I guess you and I are unique. Or just plain bat-s*** wierd.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 4, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
bmags, very few people read every page of the paper. Very few even LOOK at every page of the paper. Most people skim headlines and read selected stories. I guess you and I are unique. Or just plain bat-s*** wierd.

Well, today was a very nice story for McCain front and center in the NY times.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)

You know the funny thing, one of my worst political/vote judgement calls ever... I was actually thinking (at that time) that I was more comfortable with Bush as a President, knowing Cheney was his VP.

Then 9/11 happened, and Cheney snapped. Yikes did he get scary as hell.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...refer=worldwide

McCain Camp to Leave Convention With $200 Million, Aide Says

By Jonathan D. Salant

Enlarge Image/Details

Sept. 5 (Bloomberg) -- John McCain's campaign expects to leave the Republican National Convention with $200 million in the bank and be able to match the Democrats' spending in the next two months, an aide said.

McCain will depart from the St. Paul, Minnesota, convention with $84.1 million in federal funds and the Republican National Committee will have about $125 million, the campaign aide said, speaking on condition of anonymity. Fundraisers are working to bring in another $80 million to $100 million over the next two months, the aide said.

With an increase in fundraising following McCain's choice of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate, Republicans say they are no longer in danger of being swamped by Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's campaign cash.

``The money game is essentially off the table now,'' said Eddie Mahe, a former deputy chairman of the Republican National Committee.

Obama, 47, has raised more than $400 million for his presidential campaign. Since clinching the nomination in June, he has raised about $80 million a month for his campaign and the Democratic National Committee.

His fundraising goal, if met, may mean $100 million more to spend on the campaign than the Republicans.

Clinton Fundraisers

At the Democratic National Convention in Denver last month, Obama aides met with many of those who raised more than $200 million for New York Senator Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign and asked them to help.

``They went in and said, `Look, we can't do this without you. We need you,''' said former Democratic National Committee National Chairman Steve Grossman, a former Clinton fundraiser who is now working for Obama.

Many of Obama's more than 2 million donors have given less than the maximum $2,300, and Obama's campaign sent e-mails appealing for more donations after Palin's convention speech Sept. 3.

``What you didn't hear from the Republicans at their convention is a single new idea about how to make the health- care system work, get our economy moving for the middle class, or improve education,'' Obama wrote. ``Just attacks -- on me, and on you.''

The campaign reported taking in $10 million after Palin's speech, the most it ever raised in one day.

Palin Effect

``Sarah Palin's attacks have rallied our supporters in ways we never expected,'' Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said.

McCain fundraisers say Palin, who supports gun owners' rights and opposes abortion rights, has caused formerly recalcitrant Republicans to open their checkbooks.

``She's energized the base,'' said former New York Senator Alfonse D'Amato, who has raised at least $250,000 for McCain, 72. ``Money will not be a problem.''

The day after her speech, Palin, 44, signed a fundraising e-mail.

``Your support is very important as we face the Obama Democrats and their vicious attacks,'' Palin wrote.

In the last two days, the Republican National Committee has taken in $17 million, a campaign aide said. McCain reported raising $10 million just after the Aug. 29 announcement of Palin as his vice-presidential choice; the campaign took in more than $47 million in August, its biggest fundraising month.

Obama has yet to disclose his August figures, due at the Federal Election Commission Sept. 20.

McCain can no longer take in private donations except to pay certain legal and accounting costs, so all the money raised goes to the national party and some state parties. In addition, McCain can turn over any leftover money in his primary account to the Republican National Committee.

``There will be more than enough funds to do everything that needs to be done,'' Mahe said. ``They will not have to make a decision not to do something because of money.''

Just out of curiosity...with the amount of Congress and senate races that the RNC is possibly losing this election, do you think they are gonna put all their eggs in McCain victory so they can negate whatever losses they endure, thinking that after 4 years it would likely even back out?

We keep hearing that the press wouldn't cover McCain because he was always saying the same thing. How many times has Obama used this in a speech somewhere?

DURYEA, Pa. -- "I know that I’m not your typical presidential candidate," Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., told executives and employees of the Schott glass company Friday afternoon, "and I just want to be honest with you. I know that."

"And I know that the temptation is to say, 'You know what? …The guy hasn’t been there that long in Washington.,' You know, 'he’s got funny name,' You know, 'we’re not sure about him,'" Obama continued. "And that’s what the Republicans, when they say, 'This isn’t about issues, it’s about personalities,' what they’re really saying is, 'We’re going to try to scare people about Barack. So we’re going to say that you know, maybe he’s got Muslim connections or we’re going to say that, you know, he hangs out with radicals or he’s not patriotic.'

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/20...-says-mcca.html

That was today. How many times can he trhow that imaginary race card? Ok, I know Muslim isn't a race, but you get the point. He keeps saying that republicans are going to say X, when HE is the only one saying it.