The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 12:16 AM)
Congrats on supporting a guy for telling it like it is, Greg. Well done. Good choice and I strongly support you guys nominating him.

He said in his followup that McCain was a hero. He is denying saying anything bad. I already told u who was gonna win: HILLARY in a landslide.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 02:43 AM)
He said in his followup that McCain was a hero. He is denying saying anything bad. I already told u who was gonna win: HILLARY in a landslide.

Such a straight shooter, tells it like it is and then sticks to his guns. You should be proud.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
Such a straight shooter, tells it like it is and then sticks to his guns. You should be proud.

Donald is also saying that he stands by what he said. Welcome to bizarro world.

I suppose next he'll say "The McCains love me."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)

I'm not saying he should win or I'd vote for him. I HAVE said I like his style. I guess I'm so sick of the Hillaries/Obamas/Bushes, etc., of the world doing so many favors for the zillionaires who fund their campaigns I like the forceful talk of Trump. I'm pretty much fed up with politics and the fact political figures do not have the best interest of the country at heart ... ever.

The end of Trump is nearing...it was quite fun for the Dems while it lasted.

Now maybe we'll see if Bernie Sanders' crowds will net him any real traction against Clinton.

Also seems to be a repeat of 2012, when 6-7 different GOP candidates pulled into the lead but managed to quickly blow themselves up. Now, the pressure will fall back on Walker again, who has been flying under the radar. Do the Republicans really want a candidate without a university degree for the highest office in the world? Stay tuned.

Kasich almost seems okay, but then I remember this. After refusing to debate his Democratic challenger in the last gubernatorial election, he eventually did agree to sit down with the editors of prominent newspapers for a sorta-kinda debate. In that pseudo-debate, Kasich played this fun game where he pretended he had never heard of the challenger and could neither see nor hear him. It resulted in exchanges like this:

FITZGERALD: "So for instance, one specific, really pernicious provision that was in there, that you signed into law, Governor, was that a rape crisis counselor is limited in terms of the advice and counsel that she can give the victim of rape or sexual assault. And you’ve never explained what problem you thought that was solving. And I hope you don’t just fall back on your usual kind of generic statements that you’re pro-life, or that you have sympathy for people that have gone through sexual assault.

Why was it important to have a piece of legislation that literally imposed a gag rule on rape crisis counselors?"

Kasich says nothing. In fact, he acts as if nobody in the room had been speaking.

One of the editors prompts him: “Would you like to answer that, Governor?”

“Do you have a question?” Kasich responds. The editor then tries to explain the question FitzGerald just asked. As much as the editor understands the question, anyway.

“I assume that it had to do with, uh, there were limits on what they could say about having abortions,” the editor says.

Kasich still says nothing, possibly because the reporter made the mistake of mentioning FitzGerald’s name while summarizing the question. Once more, Kasich spreads his hands and asks, “I mean, did you have a…?” At which point FitzGerald jumps in and explains to the clueless reporter, “He’s trying to pretend he didn’t hear me say it, so you need to repeat it.” Kasich almost gives away the game by laughing at this remark from someone he very pointedly is pretending is not there.

The reporter gets through the question, as if it had not been asked several times by FitzGerald. Finally, there’s a response. Sort of:

KASICH: I think everybody here knows that I’m pro-life. We also know that we have Roe v. Wade. And we’ve been debating this. It doesn’t matter whether you’re Republican, a Democrat, liberal or conservative, or non-aligned. This debate has gone on for a very long time.

What we focus on — and what I’ve always focused on — is the issue of life. Prenatal. Postnatal. Early childhood. Sleep for babies. Trying to drive down infant mortality. Let’s focus on the life issue. I mean, focusing on abortion or you’re pro-life or whatever — again, this issue’s gone on forever. So I just, you know, there’s no hiding the fact that I have a pro-life position.

FITZGERALD: Why is it pro-life to have a gag rule for a rape crisis counselor? You didn’t answer their question.

EDITOR: I think he answered okay.

For a grown man to conduct himself that way mostly mystifies me but also tells me it's not someone I'm about to endorse as the "good" Republican candidate (nor would I be a big fan of a Democrat acting this way--I'm sure some have). We only get so many unguarded glimpses at these people and this one is particularly unflattering. I'm also no fan of the actual policy being discussed or the havoc Kasich has wreaked on public education in this state, but that's beside the point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)

No flip flopping at all. I like The Don. No fake military medals. We know he was born here. We know he isn't a closet Muslim. His Mexican workers love him.

New York State wage board yesterday approved a $15 minimum wage hike to workers in the fast food industry because New York State has law makers who have no idea what they are doing. It's fun living here.

So basically every fast food place in the state is going to close about 10% of its least profitable stores and put a whole bunch of people out of work.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 07:27 AM)
So basically every fast food place in the state is going to close about 10% of its least profitable stores and put a whole bunch of people out of work.

Automated order entry, coming to NYC soon! Next, the automatic burger makers!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 07:27 AM)

Aren't most of the fast food places owned by franchisees? I'm not certain McDonalds can close a franchise operation.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
Aren't most of the fast food places owned by franchisees? I'm not certain McDonalds can close a franchise operation.

You are correct, however most franchisees have more than one location. Some would certainly have to entertain the idea of closing the less profitable ones. Some might just close altogether. Some will thrive.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)

McDonalds owns/operates a number of locations, but yeah, the vast majority are franchised out. It would be up to the individual owner/operator to close if the costs aren't worth it. McDonalds does have some control over how the franchise is run though, so if the owner is skimping on costs in certain areas to the point that they're not fulfilling their franchise obligations, conceivably McDonalds could take over the location and then close it down.

Lots of liberal/labor/left reaction has been skeptical of this, wondering if it was done intentionally for one industry in order to create a divide within the broader movement for a livable wage. There's already national, state and city differences in minimum wage, and now you throw industry differences as well. Not exactly a good model going forward if you want a universal minimum wage increase.

edit: new minimum wages should also be indexed in some way, not static, otherwise you have to have these same battles forever.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
McDonalds owns/operates a number of locations, but yeah, the vast majority are franchised out. It would be up to the individual owner/operator to close if the costs aren't worth it. McDonalds does have some control over how the franchise is run though, so if the owner is skimping on costs in certain areas to the point that they're not fulfilling their franchise obligations, conceivably McDonalds could take over the location and then close it down.

Yeah, not sure on the specifics for McD's, but most do contain provisions where if you are not following the minimum corporate guidelines, you can be fined and in some cases forced to turn over operations. In most cases however, I was told they just opt for revoking the franchise and removing anything branded, leaving them free to operate as an independent if they so choose. When I had my printshop, the franchisor did that to one shop, came in and removed the sign, all logoed boxes and forms, training manuals, etc. They tried removing the customer list as well, but the agreement read the program is corporate but the information it generates belongs to the franchisee. Was an interesting fight.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
Lots of liberal/labor/left reaction has been skeptical of this, wondering if it was done intentionally for one industry in order to create a divide within the broader movement for a livable wage. There's already national, state and city differences in minimum wage, and now you throw industry differences as well. Not exactly a good model going forward if you want a universal minimum wage increase.

edit: new minimum wages should also be indexed in some way, not static, otherwise you have to have these same battles forever.

Except that is was done BY the liberal/labor/left.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
Except that is was done BY the liberal/labor/left.

Left-liberals generally have no love for Cuomo.

eta: see his feud with De Blasio, for example, who's definitely to Cuomo's left.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 10:08 AM)

eta: see his feud with De Blasio, for example, who's definitely to Cuomo's left.

I believe he is to almost EVERYONE's left.

So...backstory...in NY, there was actually a more intelligent minimum wage bill offered by Democrats in the state legislature. Something like $12-13 range for New York City, lower ranges for the upstate communities like Buffalo. Applied to more industries, more equitably.

That proposal was unable to pass Republican opposition in the legislature.

The end result is that to make a minimum wage increase happen, the "state wage board" whatever that is was the only place that could act and they apparently have to act with certain restrictions like they have to treat the whole state equally and they're only allowed to regulate wages at retailers of certain sizes.

So the craziness comes about as a combination of a successful push for an increased minimum wage and a legislature that won't allow it to happen in a more intelligent way. Also, pushing this forward could serve as motivation for the legislature to stop blocking a more intelligent proposal as well, so there's that too.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)

Except they (read: NYC) keep voting for him. Cuomo lost like 45-50 counties last election and only won around 10. Of those 10 however, were NYC and the NYC metro area, which are overwhelmingly liberal