Most overrated NFL player

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 06:56 AM)
brady has always had alot around him, youre right, which certainly helped...but most of the greats do too, peyton always had tons around him too....montana and young had rice, elway had great running games etc. ....i dont think hes the best ever, at least not yet, but its hard to argue with what the guy has done....though i do think he had the benefit of knowing the defense before they even lined up frequently

2 years ago Brady had absolute s*** around him offensively and he still kicked butt. The guy is absolutely ridiculous. If you want to give the argument of a guy whose always had something around him, look at Peyton Manning. The question is has he always had something around him or has he made a lot of good guys look like stars?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
2 years ago Brady had absolute s*** around him offensively and he still kicked butt. The guy is absolutely ridiculous. If you want to give the argument of a guy whose always had something around him, look at Peyton Manning. The question is has he always had something around him or has he made a lot of good guys look like stars?

...this is exactly where I didn't want this to go.

However, since you brought it up, Manning lost his #1 wideout for most of 2007, and still somewhat effortlessly put up another 4000 yard, 30 TD season. It's almost like Harrison didn't even matter.

Edited by lostfan

Since it's sort of going there, I'll say Marvin Harrison. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good receiver that runs great routes and has good hands, but he's not the physical freak that some of these other wide receivers are and has always had a true franchise quarterback throwing to him in a bit more of a pass-happy system. On a different team I could very easily see him being similar to Hines Ward: a solid player but only occasionally elite. Peyton and Marvin complement each other very well, Peyton needs a WR he can count on to consistently get some seperation (realistically every QB does to be highly productive) while Marvin really needs a QB that'll put the ball in the right spot at the right time to be elite.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I guess I just don't see the love for Barry Sanders. I'm not saying he wasn't a great back, but people put him up there in the all-time lists. He played a shorter career and often competed against Emmit Smith for best back of the year (and lost). If you're going to have Emmit be overrated, then Barry is there too. And even if he had a better line, that's a slippery slope. You define a persons career based on what they do, not what they do with what they have.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
I guess I just don't see the love for Barry Sanders. I'm not saying he wasn't a great back, but people put him up there in the all-time lists. He played a shorter career and often competed against Emmit Smith for best back of the year (and lost). If you're going to have Emmit be overrated, then Barry is there too. And even if he had a better line, that's a slippery slope. You define a persons career based on what they do, not what they do with what they have.

I think most of it is because that Sanders averaged a whopping 5 yards per carry for his career while Emmitt was at 4.2 with a much better offensive line to run behind. For a runningback the offensive line can have a HUGE impact. They both had 4 rushing titles, not quite sure how he regularly "lost" to Smith unless you want to factor in touchdowns for a much better offense outside of one great year from Scott Mitchell. As for the career thing, Sanders still played 10 seasons and had almost 1500 yards in his last season and was only one year removed from the best season of his career. The general consensus was that he retired early, much like Jim Brown. Smith just happened to play 5 more seasons at well below his peak form.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)

No way. Emmitt had a longer career, but looking at what he did in those last few years, it probably shouldn't have been much longer than Barry's. He stuck around WAY too long just to break a record. Barry's worst Y/A for a season was 4.3, which is higher than Emmitt's career average. Emmitt was a reliable, durable rb, but Barry was on another level. Not even close.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
Right now, I'll say Ray Lewis.

You mean relative to what he's doing right now, or relative to his career? Because right now I don't think anybody's under any illusions about him except for some die-hard Ravens fans.