Rumor: Sox Interested in Daniel Cabrera

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 07:33 AM)
statistically speaking I think you have a better shot of going out with Erin Andrews than the Orioles do at leapfrogging the Rays, Yankees and BoSox.

statistically speaking, of course

GO ORIOLES

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
All depends on the cost though.

My guess is it would be fairly steep. MacPhail got a good package for Bedard, and obviously it won't be on that level, but it'll still be a decent one.

When I go to O's games, which has been a fair amount the last year or so, I get the vibe that they are about tired of Cabrera here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
Here's my biggest problem with the "Maybe Coop will help him" line of thinking.

Chicago 54 40 .574 -

Minnesota 53 42 .558 1.5

Last year, we were a disgrace and we were out of it early. It didn't hurt us to give starts to guys like Danks and Floyd who were going to struggle for a while before hopefully figuring things out. Ditto even guys like Broadway. Or, if you go back to when we got Jose, we were out of it pretty quick in the 2nd half of 04 after Frank and Ordonez went down, so there was an opportunity there as well to give starts to Jose without costing us a season.

Are we willing to finish behind the Twins this year so that we might be able to develop someone like Cabrera for next year?

So you trust the contrerass is going to have a magic turn around and not give up 8 runs per game? I'd say even if the confidence levels were = between Count and DC for the 2nd half, I'll still take DC since he's not 50 years old and isn't missing a few screws.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
What's with all the pitching projects we keep acquiring all the time? How about a solid pitcher that doesn't need Coop's magic?

You say that like something is broken and needs to be fixed.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
You say that like something is broken and needs to be fixed.

Sure we turn around a pitcher here and there but for once I'd love to acquire a guy who we can plug in right away and know that he has a great chance of success.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
Sure we turn around a pitcher here and there but for once I'd love to acquire a guy who we can plug in right away and know that he has a great chance of success.

Well, find this available pitcher, then we can discusss him

FWIW, even Danks wasn't ready to step in right away, and he had an adjustment period like just about anybody else does when they start playing MLB full-time. Last year he was a 3 pitch pitcher, now he is a 4 pitch pitcher. He didn't just get a 2.67 ERA and 1.15 WHIP overnight.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
Well, find this available pitcher, then we can discusss him

I realize money and contracts are always involved but I'm a dreamer and would love for the Sox to be involved in the Sabathia and Harden type deals that occur each season.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
When I go to O's games, which has been a fair amount the last year or so, I get the vibe that they are about tired of Cabrera here.

It's mixed, I think. At Orioles Hangout, they had a 'keep 'em, trade 'em' poll for Roberts, Sherrill, Cabrera, Huff, others. Cabrera was right around 50% keep, 50% trade. (Sherrill was something like 90% 'trade him'.)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
What's with all the pitching projects we keep acquiring all the time? How about a solid pitcher that doesn't need Coop's magic?

I can give you about $100 million reasons why we don't get one of those kind of pitchers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)
I can give you about $100 million reasons why we don't get one of those kind of pitchers.

I realize money and contracts are always involved but I'm a dreamer and would love for the Sox to be involved in the Sabathia and Harden type deals that occur each season.

good lord, this is off topic, but this kid I went to High School with, Mike Bowden, his stats at AA are unreal. I remember he was in trade talks for Mark Buerhle last year. Damn, do the Red Sox have a steady team for a while or what.