Rumor: Sox Interested in Daniel Cabrera

Chisoxfn

Pulled from another forum:

Sunday morning on the hit and run segment Ofman said that KW is interested in a pitcher on a contending team. That pitcher he was referring to was Daniel Cabrera

The Sox have clearly had an interest in Cabrera in the past and unlike Justin D., this guy would scream of the typical Ken Williams transaction. You are getting a really good, live arm, who could make a high impact and be gotten for less than his talent would indicate. Obviously he's not as young as he once was and wasn't able to make a break-through under Leo Mazzone, but you are still talking about a guy with a world of talent. He's also made some progress this season, posting the following numbers:

6-5, 4.33 ERA, 129 INN, 126H, 57B, 71K

Personally I'd be all for a deal involving a couple of AAA guys and no top prospects. I'd do Broadway/Richard for Cabrera (don't know if the Orioles would or if they'd have interest in other guys). Statistically his numbers aren't much better than Contreras but he has a very live arm and stuff and would be a refreshing addition.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't give up much for him. He's got lots of talent yes, but this is his 5th full season and with his talent still hasn't put it together. He didn't work out under Mazzone so it would be more challenging for coop. Last season he gave up 25 homers and has 15 this year. Imagine him at the cell with his control problems... not good. If they try working out his problems with the team that could also hurt us even though Contreras hasn't done much himself.

Yes there is upside to Cabrera, but everyone shouldn't believe he will get here and dominate right away if he's successful at all. If KW can get him for cheap do it.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
I wouldn't give up much for him. He's got lots of talent yes, but this is his 5th full season and with his talent still hasn't put it together. He didn't work out under Mazzone so it would be more challenging for coop. Last season he gave up 25 homers and has 15 this year. Imagine him at the cell with his control problems... not good. If they try working out his problems with the team that could also hurt us even though Contreras hasn't done much himself.

Yes there is upside to Cabrera, but everyone shouldn't believe he will get here and dominate right away if he's successful at all. If KW can get him for cheap do it.

Cooper is the best in the business of taking a pitcher who has lots of physical talent and getting the most of him.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)
Cooper is the best in the business of taking a pitcher who has lots of physical talent and getting the most of him.

whereas Mazzone is the best at taking your average s***ty pitcher and getting something out of him; that's the type of pitcher Cooper will generally struggle with.

agreed completely...he'd have him take a couple mph off that fastball to further harness the control and perhaps get a bit of movement on the fastball. I could see Cabrera being a damn good closer, but considering the fact that he has shown a bit of durability, you have to give him every shot possible to start.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)

lol when i hear the name daniel cabrera for some reason i think of macdougal

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 07:21 PM)
Pipe dream

They might have interest in Uribe/Richar/Broadway. That again may not be enough, but if the O's want some pitchers that could potentially turn out the Sox could even offer up to of there AAA arms and I think those guys would have some value (not enough value to land a legit front line pitcher, but enough to land a guy like Cabrera who has good stuff but has never put it all together at the major league level).

He's also an ideal Coop project. The Sox could even acquire him with the idea of using him in the pen early this year while Coop works with him and than plan on having him make a few starts as the season goes on to help get Jose/Danks/Floyd some extra rest. Cause I'm assuming Jose won't be gone. Of course if the Sox acquired Cabrera, I'd immediately put Count on the block (I assume the O's would have zero interest in acquiring Count and only a team desperate for a starter that is in contention would go after him).

Right now the Orioles have absolutely NO reason to deal away Cabrera unless they're completely overwhelmed. He's 27 years old, is under their control for 2 more seasons following this one and has shown some major progress this season. They're not just going to give him away, it's going to take a substantial package of players. (assuming Angelos/MacPhail will even entertain offers)

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)

Agreed, but don't you think it's foolish to assume the "coop will fix him mentality?" Nothing is guaranteed. He might turn him into a good pitcher, he might stay the same.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
Two years older than Floyd, whats your point?

It's incredibly naive to think a guy like Cabrera, a guy with world class stuff, couldn't succeed in a different environment, especially when Cooper has had insane success with pitchers with poor control but plus stuff.

Leo Mazzone > Don Cooper

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 08:33 PM)
Right now the Orioles have absolutely NO reason to deal away Cabrera unless they're completely overwhelmed. He's 27 years old, is under their control for 2 more seasons following this one and has shown some major progress this season. They're not just going to give him away, it's going to take a substantial package of players. (assuming Angelos/MacPhail will even entertain offers)

I haven't seen major progress yet. His ERA has improved by over a point thus far, but there hasn't been anything drastic that has changed amongst any of his peripherals. He could end the year with an ERA below 5, but I would bet a good amount of money that it's closer to 5 than it is to 4. Mediocre K/9, BB/9, H/9, his GO/AO isn't anything special at 1.65 (opposed to 1.56 last season), HR/9 has stayed about the same...I'd suggest he's been lucky to have his ERA where it is rather than a pitcher progressing.

Splitting hairs aside, I agree with you - the Orioles have no reason to give him up whatsoever. If they were flat out sick of him, I could understand it, but he has put up a good ERA this year (whether it sticks remains to be seen). The Sox really shouldn't have much interest in him outside of the phone call in to see what they're looking for.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 12:36 AM)
I haven't seen major progress yet. His ERA has improved by over a point thus far, but there hasn't been anything drastic that has changed amongst any of his peripherals. He could end the year with an ERA below 5, but I would bet a good amount of money that it's closer to 5 than it is to 4. Mediocre K/9, BB/9, H/9, his GO/AO isn't anything special at 1.65 (opposed to 1.56 last season), HR/9 has stayed about the same...I'd suggest he's been lucky to have his ERA where it is rather than a pitcher progressing.

Splitting hairs aside, I agree with you - the Orioles have no reason to give him up whatsoever. If they were flat out sick of him, I could understand it, but he has put up a good ERA this year (whether it sticks remains to be seen). The Sox really shouldn't have much interest in him outside of the phone call in to see what they're looking for.

I was kind of going from memory on that one (it wasn't really a main point to my argument), I remember reading an article some time in early June on how much improved Daniel Cabrera's control had been this season. And looking at his gamelogs right now it appears during the first 2 months of the season he was keeping his walks to a minimum (for him at least); sporting a 3.35 BB/9 over his first 13 starts. That wildness is definitely back though since then he's walked 25 batters over 43 IP which is a BB/9 of 5.25.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
Anyways, Coop could potentially turn Cabrera into a super stud. It's kinda scary the potential that there is there.

Totally agree. This is the ideal kind of pitcher for Coop; a guy with a ridiculous arm who just cant harness it. I dont believe Cabrera has ever had any serious injury problems so if he could be had for a relatively cheap price (as compared to a Duchscherer or Bedard) I'd be in full support of his acquisition.