Sox Option Russell, Call Up Clayton Richard

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 01:46 AM)
I believe Masset is still expected to start.

They might have been thinking about it, but I don't think he could go more than 3 effectively at this time. Now that Carrasco is impressing me through his two appearances as along relief man.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 09:10 PM)
The Twins entire rotation is made up of minor league pitchers.

Interesting. You could say that all rotations are made up of minor league starters by that logic, but, in reality, Minnesota's "minor league pitchers" are doing quite well by major league standards.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)
I've listened to a few of his starts via mlb audio.

His fastball was in the 92-93 range.

He threw off speed pitches that dropped down to around 77-78.

Don't remember much about his repertoire, but do remember he threw an effective curve in the games I heard.

I wouldn't consider 92-93 his consistent velocity. He tops out around there but pitches more in the 87-90 MPH range. Relies on changing speeds, locations, and good command. Has good sinking action on most everything he throws. Not the type of guy that will impress you over a one game span, rather the type of guy that starts to impress the more you see him throw.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
I wouldn't consider 92-93 his consistent velocity. He tops out around there but pitches more in the 87-90 MPH range. Relies on changing speeds, locations, and good command. Has good sinking action on most everything he throws. Not the type of guy that will impress you over a one game span, rather the type of guy that starts to impress the more you see him throw.

Based on your analysis I am hoping to see him pitch. That's what we need at USCell - sinkerball action. You don't think the Sox will put him in as a releiver do you?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 07:55 AM)
Based on your analysis I am hoping to see him pitch. That's what we need at USCell - sinkerball action. You don't think the Sox will put him in as a releiver do you?

I didn't think so but mainly because I don't believe Masset is stretched out enough to throw a spot start and Carrasco just pitched. My guess would be Richard would get the start as it would appear the most obvious thing to do (but thats not always what the Sox opt with).

If they weren't going to use Richard as a starter than I don't see why they send Russell down for him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)

Hmmm.... well, for what it's worth... the games I've listened to he's been in the 90's pretty consistently.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 08:03 AM)
Hmmm.... well, for what it's worth... the games I've listened to he's been in the 90's pretty consistently.

Based on what I've learned from various stops in the minors is that those guns tend to be a couple MPH greedy (same with the Fox/ESPN Game of the Week Guns).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
Based on what I've learned from various stops in the minors is that those guns tend to be a couple MPH greedy (same with the Fox/ESPN Game of the Week Guns).

Here's a quote from a review of the Futures Game on Rotoworld that seems to back up what you're saying...

White Sox left-hander Clayton Richard got the start for the U.S. team. A big 6'6", 240-pound southpaw, Richard lives on his sinker. It's a tough pitch to hit hard, especially coming from a downhill plane, and it also allows Richard to induce plenty of ground balls. That ground ball tendency was evident when Richard allowed three grounders in the first, though one of them was a single. The World team eventually scored a run in the inning thanks to an error by shortstop Jason Donald, a stolen base by Elvis Andrus, and a fielder's choice by Pablo Sandoval.

Richard was posting a combined 2.44 ERA and 82/20 K/BB in 121 2/3 innings between Double-A and Triple-A before the game. He hit 91 MPH with his sinker at one point in the contest, but he was more consistently in the upper 80s to 90. He's already 24 and doesn't have much upside, but if Richard can keep limiting walks and homers, he could be a No. 3 starter if everything breaks right. He's more likely to be an innings eater, but he's a solid, underrated prospect.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)

Yeah I was shocked when Justin Duchscherer was only hitting 86 during the all-star game.

Good opportunity for him to make an impression.

There could be an opening in the rotation next season, and guys such as Richard, Egbert and Broadway could be fighting out for a spot.

I would have actually liked to have seen Jack get a chance, but he'll be up in September anyways I would imagine.

-- Wow, he's 6-foot-6. Hope he has command. Sometimes these tall guys are wild. Should be an interesting start against the hot hitting Rangers (except last weekend). Those minor leaguers in the clip are aggressive at the plate. They come out swingin.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
-- Wow, he's 6-foot-6. Hope he has command. Sometimes these tall guys are wild. Should be an interesting start against the hot hitting Rangers (except last weekend).

From what I've read Clayton Richard's whole game is based around command/location of pitches since his stuff is so mediocre. This certainly isn't another Andrew Sisco.

In the Futures Game he was a bit more wild than typical. He relies heavily on using his command and strong sinking action (you'll notice he uses all parts of the plate) and will throw the ocassional elevated pitch but when he throws it, it will be letter high and above. Otherwise everything should be down down down in the zone.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
Why Buerhle on three days rest????

"The White Sox have altered their rotation, partly in an attempt to slow down Texas' formidable lineup. Staff ace Mark Buehrle had his scheduled start moved from Wednesday to Tuesday night against the Rangers, and recently promoted left-hander Clayton Richard will make his major-league debut Wednesday. The Rangers entered Monday night's game against the Sox with a .279 batting average, but they were batting only .255 against lefties and 11-19 in games against left-handed starting pitchers."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...1,6452315.story

Edited by scenario