Sox should trade Josh Fields

fathom

The more I think about it, the more I want the Sox to trade Fields. If you can package Fields for a big time major leaguer that you'll have control over for the next few years, you have to think about it. Even if Crede doesn't return to the Sox next year, there should be a good amount of 3rd baseman available for the Sox to go after.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
The more I think about it, the more I want the Sox to trade Fields. If you can package Fields for a big time major leaguer that you'll have control over for the next few years, you have to think about it. Even if Crede doesn't return to the Sox next year, there should be a good amount of 3rd baseman available for the Sox to go after.

I also feel very comfortable with using Fields to get a ML contributor, particularly a starting pitcher.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 10:49 PM)
The 2009 3B free agent pool is extremely shallow

Yeah, Joe Crede will be the best 3B on the market BY FAR. Unless you're down with Casey Blake, Aaron Boone, Russell Branyan, Rich Aurilia, Morgan Ensberg, (maybe) Hank Blalock or converting Tex back to third.

If Crede and Boras play their cards right (stay healthy, produce, don't sign a discounted deal with the Sox before testing the market) Joe is about to become a VERY wealthy man.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 11:43 PM)

agreed. a vet who can help us now and stay on board for a few seasons.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
agreed. a vet who can help us now and stay on board for a few seasons.

Which veteran 3B would the Sox trade for? Because there's going to be slim pickins' in the FA pool this winter.

Unless there's another Alexei Ramirez or Tad Iguchi-type player available overseas, the Sox are going to have to stick to their guns and hope that Fields is healthy next year and at least as productive as he was last season. Plus, I don't think that you want to trade a player who currently has lower value because he's been battling injuries and hitting .250 in AAA.

Right now, unless something changes, he's the starting 3B in 2009. Now let's talk "ifs"

If you want to upgrade, you will need to sign a FA or trade for someone. The best 3B in next year's FA market is, as noted above, da da! Joe Crede of the White Sox.

Trading a prospect 3B for a proven 3B will take some extra resources and I do not see where we are deep enough in any single area to really upgrade without digging a hole elsewhere.

So, it's either open the vault for Crede or live with Fields. Since we have so many 3B discussions going, I'm not going to repeat from other threads.

So Fathom, I have to disagree with the current situation. Now, if we sign Joe, and I am not holding my breath that will happen, we should trade Fields, but we need him to get healthier and start playing at a higher level.

If the team is convinced that Josh Fields will never be able to even replicate what he did in 2007 for this team for some reason (which I find hard to understand, unless there's a chronic injury that we don't know about) then we ought to deal him.

Beyond that though...here's what I think is a simple point. Josh Fields isn't going to bring you back a top level all star ace guy right now. If you offered him up for Street from the A's, I think they'd still say "Yeah, and what else". So, I think if you traded him...you'd be opening up a hole for next year in exchange for bringing back a solid, if unspectacular guy.

What has more value...another solid if unspectacular guy or having someone to play 3b next year?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)

I would do it in a heart-beat. Josh Fields still has a lot of adjustments to make to become a very good major leaguer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)
I've been advocating the trading of Fields for some time. He'll never be a great Major League player due to the ridiculous K numbers.

yea we should never want guys like Reggie Jackson, Jim Thome, or almost any other power hitter. I'm not saying he'll be as good as those guys but to discount a power hitter based solely on # of strikeouts seems shortsighted to me.

As for the question, i wouldn't trade Fields until i knew i had a deal with Crede in place or another LEGITIMATE option and not some of the journeymen names that have been thrown around

Edited by Lemon_44

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
yea we should never want guys like Reggie Jackson, Jim Thome, or almost any other power hitter. I'm not saying he'll be as good as those guys but to discount a power hitter based solely on # of strikeouts seems shortsighted to me.

As for the question, i wouldn't trade Fields until i knew i had a deal with Crede in place or another LEGITIMATE option and not some of the journeymen names that have been thrown around

Please don't put Josh Fields in the same sentence with those 2. When they were his age, they weren't hitting .251 with 9 homers and 71 k's at AAA in a bandbox.

Fields clearly has 30-40 HR power and the upside to be a .275 hitter. I wouldn't think he'd ever hit higher than that and the more likely scenario puts him in the .240-.255 range with significant power. Defensively he should get better and better and at one point be at least a league average defensive 3rd baseman.

I think my issue is that last year he played over his head and the Sox could have moved him at his peak value and made a mistake by not doing such. If he still has that sort of value than I think they should move him, if not, I don't have an issue going with Fields/Ramirez/(Getz/Richar or trade for Roberts) at 3b/SS/2B. Financially you are talking about being able to afford it and I do believe the Sox would have the resources to trade for Roberts in the off-season (if they don't believe one of Getz/Richar is ready).

It also gives the Sox the financial freedom to use there resources to upgrade CF and the rotation (I still think the Sox could use a legit front of the rotation starter). The problem is the franchise probably doesn't have the chips (prospect wise) to go out and get both a front-line starter and Cfer (plus Roberts), however, when you factor in cash they could potentially find a way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
In 52, injury-hampered games.

Its amazing how guys like Konerko, who have done loads for the White Sox and have played hurt all year gets so much s*** on this board, but guys like Fields who continues to strike out at even higher rates than last year just get excuse after excuse. Just remember, on September 14 last year, Fields was hitting .229 with a .284 OBP. In other words, Juan Uribe-like. I think you know how much crap he gets on this board. He gets his numbers up in some of the most meaningless games the White Sox have played since the 80s and his continued inability to make contact is still ignored. Reggie Jackson and Jim Thome are both well over 500 homers. I'd bet my houses (I currently have 2 for some stupid reason) that Fields won't get halfway there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 09:57 AM)
Its amazing how guys like Konerko, who have done loads for the White Sox and have played hurt all year gets so much s*** on this board, but guys like Fields who continues to strike out at even higher rates than last year just get excuse after excuse. Just remember, on September 14 last year, Fields was hitting .229 with a .284 OBP. In other words, Juan Uribe-like. I think you know how much crap he gets on this board. He gets his numbers up in some of the most meaningless games the White Sox have played since the 80s and his continued inability to make contact is still ignored. Reggie Jackson and Jim Thome are both well over 500 homers. I'd bet my houses (I currently have 2 for some stupid reason) that Fields won't get halfway there.

There is no denying that Fields has flaws to his game. I've long said that. However, that was his initial call-up and he's deserving of a trial/adjustment period. Juan Uribe earned himself a multiple year period as well where he proved that the type of player he is was the guy we saw over the past couple of seasons (low average, low OBP, good pop, stellar D).

I can't see how you can compare Fields with Konerko/Uribe or anyone else who has played a good number of seasons in the major leagues (in the sense that you can expect a rookie to develop and improve on his weaknesses, where as 10 years into a guys career, those weaknesses are typically something you just have to live with).

Personally I don't think you can really evaluate Fields or Konerko based upon there numbers since they were impacted significantly by injuries.

So what third baseman are there out on the FA or trade market this off-season that could give you a better OBP and defense than what Josh Fields could offer you in 2009?

Garrett Atkins? Casey Blake?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 10:01 AM)
It would all depend on what was available for him. I think a lot of people are going to be pretty dissappointed if they think Fields is going to be a 40-50 home run guy.

I think my post pretty much states his upside and where he'll most likely fall. The one thing he could do to significantly increase his value is improve defensively (he has the skill-set to do such) as well as to continue to improve his eye (if he walks more, than you can put up more with his k's).

However, if he walks at his current clip you are talking about a guy who not only hits for a low average, but also gets on base at a below average clip and strikes out at a pace similar to Ryan Howard. At that point you are talking about a guy who would really only have one strength (POWER).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
It would all depend on what was available for him. I think a lot of people are going to be pretty dissappointed if they think Fields is going to be a 40-50 home run guy.

Well considering he hit what about 22-25HR's in 2/3'rds of his first major league season, and that he would hit in argubly the best ballpark for HR's in all of baseball, I can see why people would think as he progresses that he could certainly hit that.

The thing is, can he cut down on the K's enough to raise that OBP?