Uribe Not Going to Boston

Dick Allen

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, Contreras and Cabrera for Lowe is a terrible deal. You are dealing a true 4th/5th starter, a decent but not great shortstop, and 2 top prospects for a #3 starter. Consider that. At this point in time, there's no way in my mind that Cabrera and Lowe's values are equal, let alone including Contreras, who you could assuredly get a piece or two for. The Nationals got two minor league pitchers for Livan Hernandez, and that was after his fastball had dropped to 85 MPH. You don't give anybody away (unless his name is Barry Zito).

I do see Cabrera as a potential trading chip though simply because it doesn't seem as though he's well liked in the clubhouse, he's not incredibly productive, and the moves that would come would potentially be a theoretical upgrade to the lineup, and he is almost certainly going to be a type A free agent - may as well cash in on those draft choices now rather than 2 years from now when you could finally trade them.

Also, the Sox wouldn't move an expiring contract for an inferior player to save $2 million to acquire Brian Roberts...their payroll is $100+ mill, $2 mill isn't going to make or break the team. Kenny Williams isn't dumb and he's hung on to Juan Uribe this long because he understands that he's actually a pretty damn valuable player. If the Sox were to acquire Cora as the replacement for Uribe, you bet your ass the Sox would be getting another player back in return. Who, I don't know for sure, but I'd say it's damn near certain that they would.

Finally, I can see the reasoning behind every one of these moves, and a player I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see coming back to the Sox from the Dodgers would be Andy LaRoche. Buy low, sell high. Move Uribe for Cora and a piece, move said piece and any prospects you can, including Fields, to Baltimore for Roberts, and then move Cabrera and perhaps a prospect or two to LA for Lowe and LaRoche (which really ends up being Cabrera and two picks in the first 35-40 for Lowe and LaRoche). The team looks better than it did going in, but the bench has been hurt a bit. But you have every position tied down and an insurance policy at 3B for the rest of the season while also having one for the future too that the organization likes. I don't see anything else that KW could be looking at.

Also, I believe all Matt Kemp dreams can be put aside...not only do the Sox not need another outfielder, what with Quentin, Dye, Swisher, Anderson, and potentially Cook and Owens in the minors (and that's not including Wise, who wouldn't be a surprise on the bench next year), but there's bad blood between the Birmingham - who just so happens to be a minor league affiliate - and Matt Kemp. I don't ever see him playing in a White Sox uniform unless it's years from now.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
200 innings a year, 111ERA+, 1.25 WHIP, and a huge GB/FB is 4th/5th starter material these days?

sign me up

He also plays in the weakest division in the NL, what happens to his whip and era when he has to face Detroit's lineup on a regular basis? My point is that I don't see him being that much of an upgrade over the Count or Masset/Richard/Broadway etc... Our rotation is pretty set 1-4 with Buerhle Danks Floyd Vasquez. I'd rather get the draft picks for O-Cab at the end of the season than trade him for a middling starter and weaken our lineup/defense for the rest of the season

If we make a trade with the Dodgers, maybe we can convince them to throw in Pablo Ozuna as a Utility guy...

Seriously, though, I'd absolutely love it if we traded O-Cab for Matt Kemp. That would pretty much solidify 2/3 of our OF for the next 10 years. However, what the hell would we do with Konerko if we added another OF'er? I mean, he can't really sit on the bench, can he? I would almost be afraid to put him there b/c if he does heat up at all, that would be a huge addition to this team.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
If we make a trade with the Dodgers, maybe we can convince them to throw in Pablo Ozuna as a Utility guy...

Seriously, though, I'd absolutely love it if we traded O-Cab for Matt Kemp. That would pretty much solidify 2/3 of our OF for the next 10 years. However, what the hell would we do with Konerko if we added another OF'er? I mean, he can't really sit on the bench, can he? I would almost be afraid to put him there b/c if he does heat up at all, that would be a huge addition to this team.

No f***ing way they trade a talent like Kemp for a rent a player like OC. No f***ing chance.

And Uribe for Alex Cora would be dumb as s***.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:29 AM)
No f***ing way they trade a talent like Kemp for a rent a player like OC. No f***ing chance.

And Uribe for Alex Cora would be dumb as s***.

OC for DeWitt and something elses can be worked out

id do that for sure ..

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:34 AM)
I wouldn't. LaRoche or they can pound sand.

id take DeWitt just because he can play 3B or 2B .. with LaRoche you have a 3B and a SS that he played in college.

Crede/Fields - Ramirez - DeWitt .. i would take that if Ramirez is permanent at SS.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:54 AM)
If we trade OC we BETTER be getting Brian Roberts back in another deal.

yeah only because we would have to have a lead off man

i just dont see how we can get Roberts unless they are really desperate to ditch him, in which many other teams could get him

I say LaRoche only because I don't think the organization needs another 2B prospect, nor do I think they need to spend a hefty price attempting to get one because finding an average to slightly above average 2Bman isn't that hard to do and the Sox have done it as well as any other organization; Ramirez, Iguchi, Uribe, Harris, Alomar, Jimenez, and Durham have all manned the position for roughly half a season to a full season for the Sox this decade and have, by and large, been atleast league average during their time at 2B. Getting a guy in LaRoche who has killed the ball at AAA in the PCL but has struggled in the majors - ala some dude named Quentin - for 3B this and next year would be absolutely wonderful. I have to imagine that's who KW is looking at from LA.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 02:20 AM)
I say LaRoche only because I don't think the organization needs another 2B prospect, nor do I think they need to spend a hefty price attempting to get one because finding an average to slightly above average 2Bman isn't that hard to do and the Sox have done it as well as any other organization; Ramirez, Iguchi, Uribe, Harris, Alomar, Jimenez, and Durham have all manned the position for roughly half a season to a full season for the Sox this decade and have, by and large, been atleast league average during their time at 2B. Getting a guy in LaRoche who has killed the ball at AAA in the PCL but has struggled in the majors - ala some dude named Quentin - for 3B this and next year would be absolutely wonderful. I have to imagine that's who KW is looking at from LA.

so where are you dumping Fields and Crede, if your getting LaRoche right now? Or are you gonna put LaRoche at SS, and keep it as it is. Then let Crede go at the end of the season and trade Fields and company for Roberts?

im not for that, but im just wondering what your gonna do with 3 3B(granted Fields doesnt matter into the situation right now)

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 03:10 AM)
so where are you dumping Fields and Crede, if your getting LaRoche right now? Or are you gonna put LaRoche at SS, and keep it as it is. Then let Crede go at the end of the season and trade Fields and company for Roberts?

im not for that, but im just wondering what your gonna do with 3 3B(granted Fields doesnt matter into the situation right now)

Fields is traded to Baltimore in a deal for Roberts. Costanzo is there too, but he has pretty much been looked at as a boom or bust prospect by most and has actually had a worse year than Fields (although he's been healthy all year too, unlike Fields). Kind of a similar prospect to Fields in that he has great power, strikes out a lot, doesn't show great discipline, and doesn't have a great average. That said, I think they'd like Fields' athleticism too, and worst comes to worst, he'd probably be just fine long-term in LF or RF.

LaRoche, in the meantime, recuperates in AAA or on the bench of the MLB team, getting spot starts and starting if Crede needs some time on the DL (and that's if he's on the MLB roster; otherwise, he's in Charlotte starting at 3B). I said above, LaRoche would be an insurance policy for the remainder of this season and then would become the starting 3Bman next season with Crede leaving for free agency. You'd also have to be getting something else back from LA, because the two picks you'd get for Cabrera alone are worth more than LaRoche is - potentially Derek Lowe if LA is really willing to do that.

3B to 1B, Crede-Ramirez-Roberts-Konerko; LaRoche, Wise, Anderson, Cora (if that deal is made), and Hall on the bench. I don't understand the Uribe for Cora swap though unless Boston really wants him enough that they'd be willing to give up something valuable enough that the Sox could include in a deal for Roberts while also giving the replacement in Cora too.

all drawn out, it looks something like

Fields, Poreda, Broadway/Egbert, and perhaps another prospect for Roberts (though whether that final prospect is really necessary is debatable)

Cabrera and Egbert/Broadway/Contreras for Lowe and LaRoche (or whatever...not sure who's available or what the Sox are looking at)

and then if it's necessary, Uribe for Cora and a prospect (if possible, the Sox should avoid this)

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)
If it's Uribe for Cora, straight up, even the first domino bit doesn't compute.

That's what I don't get. How does this part help anywhere else? If it's a salary dump, the Sox are saving less than $1 mil. Unless KW's pennies away from his spending limit and he wants to turn Cabrera into Lowe, I don't get it.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
That's what I don't get. How does this part help anywhere else? If it's a salary dump, the Sox are saving less than $1 mil. Unless KW's pennies away from his spending limit and he wants to turn Cabrera into Lowe, I don't get it.

If we turn Cabrera into Lowe, it was basically turning Garland into lowe. Yuck

I love this time of year. Here's my Super Trade Idea, a 4-team, 16-player deal. I think the last time anything like this happened was that Cubs-Red Sox-A's thing that I think was 4 teams and included a s***load of players including Nomar.

My trade:

Sox trade: Orlando Cabrera, Josh Fields, Aaron Poreda, Nick Masset, Chris Getz, Nevin Griffith, John Shelby

Dodgers trade: Matt Kemp, Andy LaRoche, Chin-Lung Hu, Jonathan Meloan, Blake DeWitt

Orioles trade: Brian Roberts, Daniel Cabrera, George Sherrill

Rockies trade: Garrett Atkins

Sox receive: Brian Roberts, Daniel Cabrera, Blake DeWitt

Dodgers receive: Garrett Atkins, Orlando Cabrera, George Sherrill

Orioles receive: Matt Kemp, Josh Fields, Andy LaRoche, Chin-Lung Hu, Aaron Poreda, Chris Getz

Rockies receive: Jonathan Meloan, Nick Masset, Nevin Griffith, John Shelby

1. Why the Sox should do this:

The Sox move Alexei to SS and up to 2nd in the batting order, add Brian Roberts as the 2B and lead-off man, move Contreras to the bullpen where he should be effective in Masset's role, and they add a live arm with potential to the back of the rotation. Contreras in the pen also allows him to rest up enough to step in later on in August/September to eat a few innings that would normally go to Floyd and Danks.

The Sox improve defensively, not by a ton obviously, but they improve in 2009 if Crede leaves, and they get better AVG and contact at 3B along with the cheap price that Fields would bring. Cabrera's loss means nothing because the draft picks he'd bring would be more than replaced with Roberts. Poreda still doesn't have the secondary stuff to start although he could become a dominant setup man/closer and Masset isn't going to become anything all that great either, but he could be a nice back end innings eater with decent stuff. Neither bring the potential of Daniel Cabrera. Losing Griffith and Shelby hurts, but they won't be helping us anytime soon. Getz isn't a loss because with Roberts in the fold, Richar ready, and Beckham likely to be on the fast track, we won't need him. If we want a UT player they are easy enough to find during cuts in ST.

2. Why the Dodgers should do this:

Because I want them to. Besides, giving up Matt Kemp for anything less than an offensive star with power who is under control past this year is dumb as all hell. Getting Garrett Atkins solves their need for offense at 3B, Sherrill provides a closer now that Saito is out, and OC gives them the SS they were looking for and should be able to re-sign.

The Dodgers lose a s***load from the farm, but if OC re-signs they won't need Hu (who doesn't project to hit like OC anyway) and Atkins would provide more offense than anyone else they have there. There's the chance LaRoche could be better than Atkins, but seeing as though LaRoche has been rumored to go for a while now, I think maybe the Dodgers believe he won't turn into anything productive at the Major League level. I doubt their bullpen will miss Meloan all that much.

3. Why the Orioles should do this:

Because they f***ing suck ass and getting this many high-ceiling prospects for a star 2B with no power, a 31-year-old lefty reliever who is putting up elite numbers but hasn't had an elite career, and a pitcher who after all this time hasn't even come close to sniffing his full potential should be like a wet dream for them. They can just start releasing some of the crap on their team left and right. Start one of Fields/LaRoche at 3B and move the other to 1B. Throw Kemp in LF next to Jones and Markakis (what a sick defensive OF that would be) and move Scott to DH. Start Getz at 2B and Hu at SS right away, and call up Poreda after the rosters expand to let him get a taste of the big league bullpen. A good ST and Poreda could be on his way to replacing Sherrill as the dominant lefty in the pen by as early as April '09.

4. Why the Rockies should do this:

They're going to trade Garrett Atkins anyway, and they've said they want some guys who are mostly far away, so Shelby and Griffith give them that. They get a reliever in Meloan and Masset for the rotation. Masset has some potential to stick and is an improvement in any starting rotation that features Glendon Rusch. This might be a weak package for Atkins though as I don't know what they're asking or how other teams would value Shelby and Griffith. Just a stab in the dark.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:54 AM)
If we trade OC we BETTER be getting Brian Roberts back in another deal.

ANd you better get that deal done first, as BAL owner likes to nix deals last second.

This thread is hilarious.

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
^^^

Reading that was like watching Fantasia on an acid trip....Id take it though i suppose. We may have to then go out to armor square park and just ask people to fill our minor league rosters.

That's fine with me. If we're going to pick up anything significant we'll have to trade Fields anyway most likely, so if we come to that point of trading the one guy we have with superstar potential who is ready now, I really don't care. Trade them all except Beckham, who we can't trade even if we wanted to.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
Man, Kenny Hates Prospects really hates prospects. I mean really just flat-out despises 'em.

No thanks.

The only prospects I like that I just traded away in my post are Fields, Shelby, and Griffith. The others are just names that I can type freely into crackhead trade scenarios. But in all honesty, I'd have no problem giving up those three guys so long as we got at least one star player back who can help us beyond this year and another guy with the potential to be at least above average in the very near future.

Uribe is not going ot be traded for Alex Cora

OC for Lowe is a good move because..........wasn't Lowe a closer at one time thereby he can fit two roles if needed. He is also a sinker ball pitcher which is needed in Comiskey. But OC and two draft picks for Lowe does not benfit the Sox therefore I think LaRoche is involved or another type A prospect that could be replaced via the draft by the Dodgers.

Could the Sox take a flier on Furcal????????? He is a free agent after the season? Could they take him off the DL trade him and the Sox DL him? I know this sounds dumb but he could fill the need they have and he gets the compensation picks as well.......... Ithink he is due back in august althoug hI could be wrong.

Now getting Roberts is essential before you can trade OC.

So how does Uribe to Boston benefit anyone but Boston. Sounds like an east coast everyone is fodder for Boston, New York and the cubs stuff.