Crede to DL, Fields Called Up, Loaiza Released

Steve9347

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
The one question is whether the Sox would risk offering Uribe arbitration. If they do he's going to get probably something like 4-6 million and obviously has no starting spot. If the Sox don't think he'd come back to play on the bench than its a good move, but if Uribe doesn't get a multi year or starting offer the Sox could get screwed.

If people are willing to trade for Uribe now, even if it's not for much...then holding him around for $5 million isn't a bad move.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
If people are willing to trade for Uribe now, even if it's not for much...then holding him around for $5 million isn't a bad move.

5M is a significant amount to play anyone who isn't going to be starting. Therefor there is absolutely no way the Sox would take any chance that they would be stuck paying that next year.

Which is why they'd only offer arb if they fully expected him to take another offer.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
Hopefully Fields will play and return to the form of last year. Hopefully his bad ML numbers are a result of him being bored down there after proving he could play in the bigs. Put him in the lineup and produce, Josh.

If you want to play in the bigs you don't go down to the minors to pout or be bored. You perform. Josh really hasn't performed well and I believe he was hurt for awhile also. If Joe is hurt than Fields is our only real option and if he doesn't respond like we need him to than maybe last season was a fluke?

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
If you want to play in the bigs you don't go down to the minors to pout or be bored. You perform. Josh really hasn't performed well and I believe he was hurt for awhile also. If Joe is hurt than Fields is our only real option and if he doesn't respond like we need him to than maybe last season was a fluke?

If Josh Fields played for any other organization in MLB, he wouldn't have been in AAA at all this year.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 10:00 PM)
If Josh Fields played for any other organization in MLB, he wouldn't have been in AAA at all this year.

Sorry, but I disagree. That is too broad of a statement. Now, if you said "several teams/organizations" I could agree wiuth you on that. Really I think the most ridiculous thing to come out of this trip to the DL for Joe is that all our naysayers are now out there writing him off and I just don't see that at all. Jowe will be back and Josh most likely will be sent down in 2 weeks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 10:01 PM)
The only downside is that Detroit's offense has been red hot and the defensive drop off is gonna hurt.

And I am worried that Josh Fields will be a defensive drop off. We all want the best and I hope Crede will rebound from this injury. Too many people out there just ready to jump on the I told you so bandwagon. They forget the contributions he made prior to the break.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
They are way out of the race, coming into a rebuild mode, and Casey Blake is 34 year old that will be a free agent at the end of the year.

Thats why.

Or the fact that we don't make trades within the division. Kenny Williams has only done it once since 2001 and that was with KC for MacDougal.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/files/chicag...ox_williams.xls

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
Sorry, but I disagree. That is too broad of a statement. Now, if you said "several teams/organizations" I could agree wiuth you on that. Really I think the most ridiculous thing to come out of this trip to the DL for Joe is that all our naysayers are now out there writing him off and I just don't see that at all. Jowe will be back and Josh most likely will be sent down in 2 weeks.

Had he done what he'd done in 2007 for another team, I don't see how he would wind up back in AAA.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
The only downside is that Detroit's offense has been red hot and the defensive drop off is gonna hurt.

Quite frankly, with the way Joe has played this year...Joe's tied with Arizona's Mark Reynolds for the most errors in the big leagues this year...regardless of position. 19 so far. He's kept some of the spectacular plays...but Christ...

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)

^^^^^

All he had to do is talk to Brian Anderson and he would understand about playing hard every out, no matter where you are assigned.

Sox should not hesitate to trade Fields if a deal for something that can help hinges on him being included. Uribe can play third base and Richar or one of the other middle infielders can come up if needed to back up. Field's offense does not offset his bad defense. If he's the key to a trade, I wouldn't let Crede's injury get in the way.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
A perfect reason for the Sox not to deal for Blake.

There have been trades within the division before, and if the Sox feel like they need to make a run at Blake, it shouldn't be a problem.

Blake traded to the Dodgers.