7/26 - SOX @ DET 6:05 PM CDT, CSN

knightni

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 06:38 PM)
Watching the 1.2M feed I'm like 30 seconds behind.

Listening to these two boobs from Motown radio is enough to make me puke. Oh and Fields is good at defense according to the Mensa members on the radio.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 07:39 PM)
Strikes out Thames. That's unfortunate John looked awesome so far besides that high fastball to Sheffield.

Wasn't an awful pitch. High and outside.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
Listening to these two boobs from Motown radio is enough to make me puke. Oh and Fields is good at defense according to the Mensa members on the radio.

Like I had said earlier in the thread they said Fields was a good fastball hitter and it was a good idea to throw him curveballs. That's about as bad as when Joe Morgan said this was a good breaking ball hitting team (Fields and Crede are probably the only ones).

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
Good to see that our minor league instruction allows these large flaws in the swing to get through without any change.

I should point out that he's only been playing for about 10 days since coming back from the DL so it could very well be something that he developed while sitting out (ie, something he'll just have to slowly work his way out of). This wasn't near as noticeable last season. Last year I'd have told you he had the ability to hit .270 as long as he could just improve his plate discipline and learn to swing at more good pitches (which is a pretty reasonable assumption to think he could make that adjustment).

Now I'd say he has to make some minor altercations to his swing, although in just 5 AB's he seems to have a bit better eye at the plate. Again, its a very very small sample size so its hard to necessarily point blame at the minor leaguers. I know in Anderson case its pretty hard to really tear apart a guys swing or really make a major adjustment when all that guy does is rake (and thats what Brian Anderson did throughout his development).

But watch AJ bring his hands back as his trigger and compare it with Fields. Fields goes slightly forward before bringing them back and that split second difference in timing is HUGE, imo.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Yeah... Brian Anderson says hi, Jerry Owens as well, since he admitted nobody ever taught him how to get a bunt down in the minors.

See my post on BA. Its just really hard to make a significant change to a guys swing because you don't think it will work against major league pitching. Especially when all that guy does is produce throughout his progression to the majors (ie, his minor league production). I'd say at most the Sox instructors were helping BA with minor things because they knew no matter what they might have felt that you can't make a relatively major adjustment without legitimate reasoning (why the f*** would Brian listen or anyone else thats a constant pro).

HEck there are many hitters who have flaws in there swing but there athletic ability helps them get away with that (hell, very few hitters truly have what would be described as a fundementally perfect swing).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
See my post on BA. Its just really hard to make a significant change to a guys swing because you don't think it will work against major league pitching. Especially when all that guy does is produce throughout his progression to the majors (ie, his minor league production). I'd say at most the Sox instructors were helping BA with minor things because they knew no matter what they might have felt that you can't make a relatively major adjustment without legitimate reasoning (why the f*** would Brian listen or anyone else thats a constant pro).

HEck there are many hitters who have flaws in there swing but there athletic ability helps them get away with that (hell, very few hitters truly have what would be described as a fundementally perfect swing).

In fairness, I think Anderson is the exception and not the norm. I can't think of anybody else off the top of my head that had a mechanical problem that was hidden all the way to the majors, and got away with it since it didn't show in their stats.