7/26 - SOX @ DET 6:05 PM CDT, CSN

knightni

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
That was a good pitch by Verlander, just a tremendous swing by Dye.

56 pitches for Verlander right now (0 outs in the 3rd).

What pitch count are you looking at? Gameday has him at 70 after Thome's foul ball.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 06:49 PM)
There's only few of us, as I don't buy into all that Cowley hate.

I don't particularly like OC as a person, but I would have him on my team in a heartbeat. He really has grown on me.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
In fairness, I think Anderson is the exception and not the norm. I can't think of anybody else off the top of my head that had a mechanical problem that was hidden all the way to the majors, and got away with it since it didn't show in their stats.

I'm assuming you are going to say that Fields K rate was what would show his mechanical flaw in his stats? I don't know if that is necessarily the case though cause you could make the case that he's just a pure power prospect whose k rate should fall as he continues to learn the strike zone.

Again, its just a hypothetical. What about Jeremy Reed? You could make a case that he was the anti-Anderson. He freaking raked and raked and raked. Statistically I don't think you could see many weaknesses and his swing was pretty as can be. He had some untimely injuries which seemed to prevent him from getting hot and those injuries also caused him to make improper adjustments to his swing.

Jeff Abbot is another guy who comes to mind. Tremendous swing throughout the minors, came to the majors and made a stupid ass adjustment and never figured things out again. I know Hawk always raves about Jeff Abbot, but I remember talking to a scout who said he thought Abbott was a sure thing (when it came to a guy who would flat out hit).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
In fairness, I think Anderson is the exception and not the norm. I can't think of anybody else off the top of my head that had a mechanical problem that was hidden all the way to the majors, and got away with it since it didn't show in their stats.

Jeff Francouer. Everyone knew he had strikeout issues but his minor league numbers were very strong and very few adjustments were made. He initially raked but I think most saw that he had major flaws to his swing and finally major league pitching took advantage of it. Again, Francouer is incredibly gifted (strong tools across the board) but because he had done so well in the minors, people didn't make adjustments.

In most instances, I think if you look at highly rated prospects that had tools and raked in the minors and than failed in the majors, you can typically say its because teams saw flaws but were hesitant to fix them because they pretty much hit from the get go.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
Pitches for Verlander by inning:

1st: 18

2nd: 27

3rd: 38

Bash Greg Walker all you want...this is a team game plan on a pitcher and it's working brilliantly.

I'm glad the bats have came around. I've long said Walker wasn't the problem but did say the longer the team went without hitting the more likely it was you just had to get rid of him to see if it would send a message (because its easier to fire a coach than the entire team). Walker is an asset to this staff (I know it sounds crazy but its the case, imo).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
I'm assuming you are going to say that Fields K rate was what would show his mechanical flaw in his stats? I don't know if that is necessarily the case though cause you could make the case that he's just a pure power prospect whose k rate should fall as he continues to learn the strike zone.

Again, its just a hypothetical. What about Jeremy Reed? You could make a case that he was the anti-Anderson. He freaking raked and raked and raked. Statistically I don't think you could see many weaknesses and his swing was pretty as can be. He had some untimely injuries which seemed to prevent him from getting hot and those injuries also caused him to make improper adjustments to his swing.

Jeff Abbot is another guy who comes to mind. Tremendous swing throughout the minors, came to the majors and made a stupid ass adjustment and never figured things out again. I know Hawk always raves about Jeff Abbot, but I remember talking to a scout who said he thought Abbott was a sure thing (when it came to a guy who would flat out hit).

I mean that Anderson was an anomaly. I would have to say that normally, when you have a swing as flawed as Anderson's was, it will be exposed by the time you get to AAA, where there are some good pitchers who just haven't made the majors yet. But there was no real evidence of any problems and Anderson raked all the way until his call-up.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
I mean that Anderson was an anomaly. I would have to say that normally, when you have a swing as flawed as Anderson's was, it will be exposed by the time you get to AAA, where there are some good pitchers who just haven't made the majors yet. But there was no real evidence of any problems and Anderson raked all the way until his call-up.

Except in the instance of very talented, toolsy players as they typically have the pure athletism to get away with certain flaws, imo.