Fields and Floyd for a SP?

beck72

"Pitching -- the Sox' major strength most of the year -- is suddenly below average, with a 3-3 record and 6.34 ERA by the starting staff in their last nine games before Friday. Williams is said to be willing to part with a package that would include Fields and right-hander Gavin Floyd for a big-name starter."

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...soxnt26.article

I guess I'd have to see what SP the sox would get for a package of Floyd and Fields. I'm not sure what names are out there. Unless the guy is locked up for a few years, at a relatively decent salary, I don't see it.

I know Floyd has struggled of late, and may for the 2nd half, as he hasn't thrown an entire year in the majors. But that would seem a bit extreme. If it's true KW is looking at moving Floyd, Kenny must think Floyd is another "Brandon McCarthy" who may be decent but not likely to have a dominating career.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy Halladay would be a name. Move Rolen to DH, plug Fields at 3b....Not sure what Roy's contract info is.

Here it is: And he's due for a big raise in 09 and '10.

4-year deal- will make 6M in 2004, 10.5M in 2005, 12.7M in 2006 and 12.8M in 2007- + bonuses he has earned: 75K for 2005 All-Star selection- + later signed 3-year EXTENSION worth 40M thru 2010 season on 3/16/06- + he receives salaries of 10M in 2008, 14.25M in 2009 and 15.75M in 2010

Agent: Greg Landry (SFX)

Edited by beck72

IMO, only a few names jump out that could even remotely be possible--Halladay, Tim Hudson, Jake Peavy, and Felix Hernandez. And Peavy and Fernandez wouldn't be possible. Seattle has so many holes, though, that they would need a blockbuster trade to fill them all. The Pad's? Don't know. I know they're pretty tight with the money and going younger/ inexpensive might be appealing.

If that's all it would take to get Halladay, KW should make that deal before Toronto could change their minds. Floyd has been good this season, much better than I thought he would ever be, but........................even though he's kept damage at a minimum recently for the most part, he hasn't really cruised in a game for a while even though he's posted some very good outings. There's still something there that makes me think the wheels could fall off any moment. Maybe its just me with Floyd, but unlike a guy like Buerhle who when you look at him on the mound, his face looks like he could be playing in a softball game at a company picnic, Floyd always looks like a guy who is testifying before Congress with something to hide. Halladay is an ace, a perrenial CY Young candidate. If those guys are available and the price isn't insane, you grab them.

Edited by Dick Allen

I think Floyd is as close to untouchable as the Sox have right now, and it is going to have to be a premier ace coming back to the Sox for him to be sent packing. I just dont see Halladay being moved, and aside from him I dont see many other aces being available and SF101 is right, Duchscherer isnt worth moving Floyd, despite his league leading ERA at this point.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 07:06 AM)
I think Floyd is as close to untouchable as the Sox have right now, and it is going to have to be a premier ace coming back to the Sox for him to be sent packing. I just dont see Halladay being moved, and aside from him I dont see many other aces being available and SF101 is right, Duchscherer isnt worth moving Floyd, despite his league leading ERA at this point.

Halladay wants out of Toronto. I could easily see him being moved.

If all it takes is Floyd and Fields to get 2.5 years of Halladay, I'll drive them both to the airport.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 08:13 AM)

If all it takes is Floyd and Fields to get 2.5 years of Halladay, I'll drive them both to the airport.

And I will be riding shotgun. I just dont think thats all its gonna take

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
and SF101 is right, Duchscherer isnt worth moving Floyd, despite his league leading ERA at this point.

We'd all have traded for another '05 Contreras during '05.

Meanwhile, Duchscherer's career points to being a lot better overall pitcher than, say jose, even in all those non sensational years before.

Edited by Princess Dye

If the talk is true, I give Kenny credit for trying to land a guy like Halladay. Yet I don't see it happening. Toronto doesn't have to move him and they could do it in the offseason where they'd get more value.

But I still would like an arm like Duch for about half the price of what would likely be offered for Halladay [ie a package w/o Floyd.--like Fields and Poreda]

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
Maybe its just me with Floyd, but unlike a guy like Buerhle who when you look at him on the mound, his face looks like he could be playing in a softball game at a company picnic, Floyd always looks like a guy who is testifying before Congress with something to hide.

lol. well played.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
If we move Floyd, it better for an ace. And the only one that comes to mind who is on the market is Holiday. Whats his contract status?

I assume you meant Roy Halladay. $10 million in 2008, $14.25 million in 2009 and $15.75 million in 2010.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
I assume you meant Roy Halladay. $10 million in 2008, $14.25 million in 2009 and $15.75 million in 2010.

Halladay isn't going anywhere....

From J.Stark's column:

Interestingly, other clubs that have spoken with the Blue Jays say they'll talk about anybody. But when the conversation turns to, say, Roy Halladay, the conversation ends fast.

"He likes it here," Ricciardi says. "He wants to win here. And he's signed for two more years. So if we trade him, we'd be giving up on the chance that we're going to be a good club in the next two years. And we don't feel that way."

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 05:13 AM)

Halladay's great and all, but I wouldn't want to trade one of my best pitchers for a guy entering the down-side of his career. Especially when it'll cost Floyd, who has pitched well this year, has great stuff, and is under team control for the next four years. If I'm looking to deal for Halladay, I give up Vazquez and a couple of prospects. And I'm pretty sure that the Jays wouldn't be interested in that.

And there's no way that I trade Fields with the Sox in first place and Crede's back acting up again.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 10:24 AM)
If I'm looking to deal for Halladay, I give up Vazquez and a couple of prospects. And I'm pretty sure that the Jays wouldn't be interested in that.

No, they would be. Vazquez is the ace of our staff and the most underrated player in baseball. Who wouldn't want him on their team?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
We'd all have traded for another '05 Contreras during '05.

Meanwhile, Duchscherer's career points to being a lot better overall pitcher than, say jose, even in all those non sensational years before.

i disagree. Duch has had the injury bug far more than Contreras ever had, and that really worries me about him. He has had a great first half, but not as great as Contreras did in 06 IMO

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 06:01 AM)
If that's all it would take to get Halladay, KW should make that deal before Toronto could change their minds. Floyd has been good this season, much better than I thought he would ever be, but........................even though he's kept damage at a minimum recently for the most part, he hasn't really cruised in a game for a while even though he's posted some very good outings. There's still something there that makes me think the wheels could fall off any moment. Maybe its just me with Floyd, but unlike a guy like Buerhle who when you look at him on the mound, his face looks like he could be playing in a softball game at a company picnic, Floyd always looks like a guy who is testifying before Congress with something to hide. Halladay is an ace, a perrenial CY Young candidate. If those guys are available and the price isn't insane, you grab them.

couldn't agree more. i hope that floyd has a great career but he just seems to be teetering on the verge of a collapse at any time. that being said, there's no way that we'll get halladay for floyd and fields, at a minimum we'd have to include poreda and shelby/richar/allen. the only SP avalible that i can think of who would fit the bill for a fields floyd deal would have to be duchscherer who i think is just having a lucky season and won't be this good in the long run