Manny Ramirez

iamshack

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
Part of it is, I feel he's not as good as he's billed. He's good when he feels like it, and that's not all the time.

But that leads me to the bigger issue. For me (and I realize others feel differently), when a player is just SO much of an asshole, and is SO all about himself, that his behavior takes a significant negative hit on the team... then I wouldn't want any part of them. And before anyone goes to the other extreme here, I am not saying that the team needs to be full of saints. It won't be, and shouldn't be. But there is an important difference between being an asshole who still stands for the team (a la AJP), and an asshole who could clearly give less of a s*** about the team (Manny).

Just my view, I don't expect others to agree with it. I just think that he is so far gone into narcissism, that his offensive production is offset by the negative effect on the rest of the team, and the fan base.

Honestly NS, I can't see how anyone could consider Manny the player, "not as good as billed". Defensively he has his weaknesses (everyone knows that, although he's actually much better defensively than most give him credit for, although he does make the occasional "lazy" mistake). However, offensively, I don't know if I've ever seen a more complete hitter over such a long period.

He crushes inside pitches and drives outside pitches with authority. I rarely, if ever, see Manny have a bad or unproductive at bat as he always seems to have an exact idea of what he's doing at the plate. Aside from Bonds couple year span, I fully believe Manny is the greatest run producer to ever play the game. He's simply phenomenal.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
Honestly NS, I can't see how anyone could consider Manny the player, "not as good as billed". Defensively he has his weaknesses (everyone knows that, although he's actually much better defensively than most give him credit for, although he does make the occasional "lazy" mistake). However, offensively, I don't know if I've ever seen a more complete hitter over such a long period.

He crushes inside pitches and drives outside pitches with authority. I rarely, if ever, see Manny have a bad or unproductive at bat as he always seems to have an exact idea of what he's doing at the plate. Aside from Bonds couple year span, I fully believe Manny is the greatest run producer to ever play the game. He's simply phenomenal.

I've seen that Manny, and I've seen the I-don't-give-a-crap Manny. No doubting he puts up huge numbers, even with that bad habit. I just think he's a bad idea for this team.

Manny would be nice to have but at this point I don't see an opening on the roster without putting someone on the bench who should be playing. I doubt if KW will make any moves.

To be perfectly honest I don't see Boston trading him by the trade deadline.

Edited by Baines3

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 05:12 PM)
Why is this thread even open. We have ZERO corner OF spots and ZERO DH spots. We are probably one of the worst fits for Manny in the league. Stop trying to put Konerko etc in a deal for a player that doesnt fit on our team.

Well thanks for your wonderful contribution!

Perhaps we should talk about acquiring Kei Igawa instead. Would that satisfy your hunger for excitement more?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives...deadline_1.html

This is almost the exact scenario that I laid out a few days ago. The Red Sox pay Manny's salary, trade him to a contender for major league ready talent then swing a deal for Teixeira.

Angel Berrora is about to start a holy war against the NY Post blog. He isn't even related to Geronimo and he hasn't played since 2000.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)

This is almost the exact scenario that I laid out a few days ago. The Red Sox pay Manny's salary, trade him to a contender for major league ready talent then swing a deal for Teixeira.

I thought the entire idea of the Red Sox acquiring a 1b was ridiculous?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
I thought the entire idea of the Red Sox acquiring a 1b was ridiculous?

I didn't say that. I said the Red Sox trading their best hitter for Paul Konerko made no sense. If they're dealing Ramirez for Matt Kemp then sending a few prospects to Atlanta for Mark Teixeira then yeah, I might be able to get behind that. If I didn't think it made any sense then I wouldn't have suggested it 2 days ago.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)

The most interesting thing regarding that post is the Roberts to LAD. Would Cabrerra to the LAD with a Roberts package be back in play?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
Oh, I guess I misunderstood this...

Well when you're displacing Youkilis for Paul Konerko it's one thing but when it's Teixeira it's another. I don't totally understand their apparent desire to acquire Teixeira but when you're acquiring a player as talented as him it can't really be a bad thing I guess. When you're trying to replace the production of Manny Ramirez, moving Youkilis to LF for Paul Konerko is not a viable option in my mind, Mark Teixeira is a pretty good alternative however.

The New York Post believes the Red Sox and Dodgers are still talking about a deal that would send Manny Ramirez to Los Angeles, with the cash to cover his salary, in return for Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier.

Boston would likely prefer Kemp, who is both more talented and a better fit for a lineup that would get awfully lefty heavy with Ethier. Of course, it's possible they'd just flip the one they received to the Braves as part of a Mark Teixeira deal. The most likely scenario has nothing getting done at all. For what it's worth, no one in Boston or Los Angeles has suggested there's much going on here. FOXSports.con's Ken Rosenthal believes the Dodgers are focusing on landing a shortstop. Jul. 29 - 4:22 pm et

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
The New York Post believes the Red Sox and Dodgers are still talking about a deal that would send Manny Ramirez to Los Angeles, with the cash to cover his salary, in return for Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier.

Boston would likely prefer Kemp, who is both more talented and a better fit for a lineup that would get awfully lefty heavy with Ethier. Of course, it's possible they'd just flip the one they received to the Braves as part of a Mark Teixeira deal. The most likely scenario has nothing getting done at all. For what it's worth, no one in Boston or Los Angeles has suggested there's much going on here. FOXSports.con's Ken Rosenthal believes the Dodgers are focusing on landing a shortstop. Jul. 29 - 4:22 pm et

If that Manny thing falls through... a possible 3 way deal with the O's-Dodger and White Sox? Involving Roberts/Cabrera of course....

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
Perhaps if you read the first post...

He's not coming here. Seriously, where would he play? Why would you trade prospects for two months of Manny? You have Carlos and Dye on the corners. Neither of them can play CF if you want to move Swish to 1st. Thome is the DH. What is the point in discussing something that there is ZERO logic to.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 07:56 PM)
He's not coming here. Seriously, where would he play? Why would you trade prospects for two months of Manny? You have Carlos and Dye on the corners. Neither of them can play CF if you want to move Swish to 1st. Thome is the DH. What is the point in discussing something that there is ZERO logic to.

Once again, read the post. It was half serious. It was for fun after a loss on a Sunday afternoon. Lighten up. Isn't this why "Trade Winds" exists? Did you think we had any more of a chance at Chipper Jones? At Roy Halladay?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
Just saw on ESPNEWS that Buster Olney is reporting that the Sawx and Marlins are in serious discussions about a Manny Ramirez deal.

just heard on the radio that the deal is pretty much done. wow this is huge for the Marlins... they have PLEANTY of cash to spend lol.