Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
I wonder does this mean Wise will be DFA'd? (Wouldn't make any sense to pull the plug on Anderson, being right-handed and all and he can still run)

I'd prefere Griffey to just take Masset's spot. We don't need 12 pitchers on the team. 11 is suitable in my opinion. But Ozzie like's 12.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:21 AM)
only way i see this trade working out well for us is if Konerko is traded, Swisher moves to CF, Dye plays 1st and Griffey plays RF

we're basically getting a guy who's absolutely brutal on defense, according to the guy that Lawrence just spoke to from Cincinatti

our defense is 2nd to last in the AL, you have to wonder how Griffey being in our lineup as anything but a DH doesn't hurt the team

Konerko has a no trade clause. What makes you think he's gonna accept a deal to a non-contending team. Why is this so difficult to understand? It seems like everyday at least 5 people make this statement.

Rosenthal says Griffey approved the deal:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8398348...de-to-White-Sox

Even though it's not clear where he'll play, I'm excited by the deal since we gave up pretty much nothing of value (if it is Richar and Masset). Richar fell out of favor and Masset gives up too many baserunners. Maybe Wasserman will get another extended look now and can capitalize. Plus if KW spins something else it could work even better.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:18 AM)
f***ing terrible deal.

I can't believe anyone can really think that this is a terrible deal for the Sox! Richar is 25 years old, has pretty good speed, not much pop, and plays okay defense. He's nothing special at all. Not to mention the Sox have Ramirez at 2b right now, they have Getz in the minor leagues and will have Beckham coming in to either play 2B or SS. AND, Orlando Hudson is a free agent after this year. So giving up Richar is NOTHING.

And Masset is just an average to below average middle relief pitcher. He's never going to be anything special either. There is no chance of the Sox having to say in a couple of years, man, why did we give that guy up. That won't happen with this trade.

Everyone here has complained about Paulie for the last three months, but now the Sox make a deal to do something about it and people still complain. I personally love the deal. With Griffey coming in, PK is not going to be playing as much. With that alone, I love it.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
only way i see this trade working out well for us is if Konerko is traded, Swisher moves to CF, Dye plays 1st and Griffey plays RF

we're basically getting a guy who's absolutely brutal on defense, according to the guy that Lawrence just spoke to from Cincinatti

our defense is 2nd to last in the AL, you have to wonder how Griffey being in our lineup as anything but a DH doesn't hurt the team

JD has not played first base in his life, why should we expect him to move there? Why would he want to learn a new position in a pennant race?

With Griffey in CF, Swish at 1b and Dye at RF we are much better defensively than with Dye at 1st, Swish in CF and Griffey in RF? With Dye at first, you have two guys at positions they would be bad at instead of only one with leaving Dye at RF.

QUOTE (quickman @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)
this is a joke right? Who the hell cares? Your worried about a number?

Like I said before, someone said they were going to get a Griffey jersey. All three numbers he's worn are taken by the Sox, it was just a side question. Not a big deal.

Well, Masset I could care less about. Richar, though, is a significant prospect, so that hurts a bit.

This involves 1B somehow, I have to guess. So which scenario is it...

--Griffey starts in CF, Swisher to 1B, Konerko to the bench?

--Griffey platoons with Konerko and 1B and relieves the other OF's on occasion?

--Griffey to RF and Dye to 1B, Konerko to bench?

As for who they release, I have a feeling there might be another deal in the works that would answer the question.

QUOTE (JohnStamos @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)
Konerko has a no trade clause. What makes you think he's gonna accept a deal to a non-contending team. Why is this so difficult to understand? It seems like everyday at least 5 people make this statement.

I'm fully aware of Konerko's 10-5 rights. But stranger things have happened.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:17 AM)
danny richar is a 25 year old with a .748 OPS at AAA....he has never been a top prospect...and if the sox get someone like affeldt also back then its not even close to being an awful deal

plus alexei and beckham are gonna be the long term up the middle combo

I guess I just have higher expectations for Richar than most. Beckham is probably 2 years away, Escobar and Silverio are years away if they ever make it and Getz to me sounds like a quality utility guy. Richar could have been a stop gap until Beckham arrived. Hopefully KW makes a push for the O-Dawg this winter.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
JD has not played first base in his life, why should we expect him to move there? Why would he want to learn a new position in a pennant race?

With Griffey in CF, Swish at 1b and Dye at RF we are much better defensively than with Dye at 1st, Swish in CF and Griffey in RF? With Dye at first, you have two guys at positions they would be bad at instead of only one with leaving Dye at RF.

Dye has played 1B

QUOTE (quickman @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
this is a joke right? Who the hell cares? Your worried about a number?

I do not think anyone is worried, but it is fun idle speculation. People Magazing has built an empire over just such minor stuff.

And, for the record, Swish would give up his number to a HoFer and a nice gift $$$$

QUOTE (JohnStamos @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)

There are a lot options out there to get someone to agree to a trade. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's impossible.

Interesting Quote from the ESPN Fantasy Baseball Chat:

Frank (Brooklyn): It would take two seconds to answer this Eric, C'mon...Lohse/Hardy or Marcum/Alexi Ramirez...Thanks

Eric Karabell: (11:31 AM ET ) Probably the Lohse side, because Marcum does not look like the same guy from the first two months. Don't be surprised if Alexi Ramirez is the White Sox starting shortstop starting tomorrow.

Maybe this is all setting up to something bigger with OC heading out...

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
With Dye at first, you have two guys at positions they would be bad at instead of only one with leaving Dye at RF.

you make a good point, but you have to wonder does the slight loss in defense at two positions outweigh the absolute non-existance of a defensive player at a prime position (CF)