Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:09 AM)
AMy Nelson the useless reporter on Cold Pizza.

Eye candy...seems ESPN is taking the Fox New route with it's female on-air people.

Edited by JPN366

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
If that's the price, hey, more bats are cool to have.

For some reason i have this feeling Swisher could be going to some costcutting team, since his contract is cheap

I think they would try and trade Konerko before Swisher

Griffey going to White Sox if he approves trade from Reds

July 31, 2008

By Danny Knobler

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Ken Griffey Jr. has been traded to the Chicago White Sox, CBSSports.com confirmed Thursday. The deal is still awaiting Griffey's approval, so it has yet to be announced.

The Cincinnati Reds will get infielder Danny Richar and right-handed pitcher Nick Masset in the deal, according to sources. Cincinnati will also pay the remaining $4 million on Griffey's contract.

It's believed the White Sox intend to play the 38-year-old Griffey in center field, a position he hasn't played since 2006. The slumping Nick Swisher would move to first base, sharing time with Paul Konerko, whose own slump has been even worse.

The White Sox have tried to trade for Griffey before, but Thursday's deal still caught many people by surprise. Griffey hit his 600th career home run earlier this year, but he's hitting just .245 for the Reds, with 15 home runs and 53 RBI in 102 games.

Griffey is in the final year of a nine-year deal. There's a club option for 2009 at $16.5 million, but it's unlikely the White Sox would exercise that option.

A source told the Associated Press that Griffey wants some questions answered unrelated to his contract.

The White Sox have been in first place since the middle of May, but the Twins have closed the gap to 1½ games and the Tigers have also been playing better. Manager Ozzie Guillen has at various times expressed concern about his offense, and this week he talked openly about sitting Konerko more often.

Konerko is 14-for-66 (.212) since he came off the disabled list on July 8.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10914920

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:09 AM)
If that's the price, hey, more bats are cool to have.

For some reason i have this feeling Swisher could be going to some costcutting team, since his contract is cheap

I can see some team taking a shot on Paulie if the Sox pick up most of the contract. Then effectively, they'd be trading Paulie for Griffey.

Yes ... Griffey! ... but yeah I have no clue where hes playing and I am not reading 24 pages.

I woke up to Silvy and whoever else is on right now, and my first thoughts was that Fields would be going somewhere, but my nightmares went away quick.

Anyways "Expect a package of Brian Anderson, Nick Massett, and Wes Whisler" thats what is says on ESPN, I see someone put what it says on CBS, we will just have to wait.

"Griffey has approved a trade to the White Sox and is expected to join the club immediately, according to a source with knowledge of the deal."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8398348...de-to-White-Sox

He has accepted, I dont know if thats out there yet.

Edited by JFields27

So what number does Griffey wear?

24 is taken by Crede and I don't see him giving it up.

30 is take by Swisher, he seems like a team player but I know I wouldn't give up my number if someone else is cutting my playing time.

3 is taken by Harold Baines and is retired anyways.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
I think they would try and trade Konerko before Swisher

Doesn't Konerko have 10/5 rights?

With that said I can't see him accepting a trade unless its to a contender.

If this is done, Richard as a long man sounds good.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
Richar and Massett, seems like a hefty price to pay.

I haven't liked what I have seen from Massett lately and Richar is out of the mix for Sox purposes anyway. But, two for 1 I am not sure I like. Howveer, if the reds pick up the salary then maybe. After all the game is all about money now

More.

link

Griffey accepts trade to White Sox

by Ken Rosenthal

Updated: July 31, 2008, 10:18 AM EST 343 comments

Ken Griffey Jr. has never played in a World Series. Now he might get his chance.

Griffey has approved a trade to the White Sox and is expected to join the club immediately, according to a source with knowledge of the deal.

It is not yet known what the Reds will receive in return.

Griffey had the right to block a deal as a player with at least 10 years of major-league service, five with the same club.

The White Sox, leading the American League Central by a 1.5 games, would use Griffey mostly in the outfield, the source said. However, they do not have an obvious spot for Griffey unless they make another trade.

The Sox are set at the corners with Carlos Quentin in left and Jermaine Dye in right. They could play Nick Swisher at first to open center for Griffey, a move that would reduce the playing time of first baseman Paul Konerko and designated hitter Jim Thome. But Griffey has not played center regularly since 2006.

Griffey, earning $12.5 million this season in the final year of his contract, is owed more than $4 million in salary. The amount of cash in the trade -- if any -- is not known.

The White Sox attempted to acquire Griffey from the Reds at the trade deadline in 2005, but the trade reportedly was nixed by Reds ownership for financial reasons.

Griffey, 38, is batting .245 this season with a .355 on-base percentage, 15 home runs and 53 RBIs in 359 at-bats. Earlier this season, he hit his 600th home run.

I really think KW is going to make a run for O Hudson next year and with depth already at that position Richar was expendable.And also KW tries to give a team just enough talent in return on trades to keep the door open for future trades.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
I am so excited for Griffey, but not excited for his defense anymore :(

yeah probably my same feelings, except I am so excited for Griffy, but it will be interesting to see what Ozzie does with him

richar and masset is about what i thought it would take....in my mind getz has passed richar as a prospect and now that we have alexei, along with beckham in the future....richar was expendable....masset stinks too so i have no problem with him going

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
Yes ... Griffey! ... but yeah I have no clue where hes playing and I am not reading 24 pages.

I woke up to Silvy and whoever else is on right now, and my first thoughts was that Fields would be going somewhere, but my nightmares went away quick.

Anyways "Expect a package of Brian Anderson, Nick Massett, and Wes Whisler" thats what is says on ESPN, I see someone put what it says on CBS, we will just have to wait.

"Griffey has approved a trade to the White Sox and is expected to join the club immediately, according to a source with knowledge of the deal."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8398348...de-to-White-Sox

He has accepted, I dont know if thats out there yet.

That's too much. If we trade for Griffey, we certainly need BA's defense.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
Doesn't Konerko have 10/5 rights?

With that said I can't see him accepting a trade unless its to a contender.

If this is done, Richard as a long man sounds good.

why? DJ Carrasco is your long man, and the sox will get another Bullpen guy today.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
So what number does Griffey wear?

24 is taken by Crede and I don't see him giving it up.

30 is take by Swisher, he seems like a team player but I know I wouldn't give up my number if someone else is cutting my playing time.

3 is taken by Harold Baines and is retired anyways.

My guess would be 15.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
f***. Awful. Danny Richar has way too much upside to be traded for Griffey here. Looks like they must really like Chris Getz, because Danny probably had the inside for 2B next year.

danny richar is a 25 year old with a .748 OPS at AAA....he has never been a top prospect...and if the sox get someone like affeldt also back then its not even close to being an awful deal

plus alexei and beckham are gonna be the long term up the middle combo