Jose Contreras Done For Year

letsgoarow

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)
They did for David Wells' contract in 2001. I know that for a fact. I'm pretty sure it is standard operating procedure with older MLB pitchers. I don't know the exact amount of "compensation/subsidy" we would get back if Jose doesn't play next year...I'm thinking it's around 50-60%.

If they were smart enough to do that it could have been huge. That money could be the difference between a bargain guy like Mulder/Garcia and being able to make a push for a top guy like Sheets or captain cheeseburger.

QUOTE (TLAK @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 02:25 AM)
I wouldn't mind seeing how the kid that's out there now, Adam Russell, would do for a couple of starts.

He's not stretched out, as he's been in relief all day. I'd rather he try to gain velocity and pitch in the 94-95 mph range for an inning.

For the love of God people, don't talk about stretching out Carrasco, Russell, or MacDougal; searching the waiver wire; throwing Broadway out as the 5th starter; or signing Garcia. Do you want to lose?

Poreda. Give him a damn chance, atleast. Three starts, like Richard. That isn't too difficult, is it? I believe he's our best option for replacing Contreras, even if he needs more seasoning. If he fails, then send his ass back down. And I don't even want to hear about ruining him if he does poorly.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 02:38 AM)
For the love of god people, don't talk about stretching out Carrasco, Russell, MacDougal; searching the waiver wire; throwing Broadway out as the 5th starter; or signing Garcia. Do you want to lose?

Poreda. Give him a damn chance, atleast. Three starts, like Richard. That isn't too difficult, is it? I believe he's our best option for replacing Contreras, even if he needs more seasoning. If he fails, then send his ass back down. And I don't even want to hear about ruining him if he does poorly.

They dont like rushing top picks...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 06:58 PM)
If they were smart enough to do that it could have been huge. That money could be the difference between a bargain guy like Mulder/Garcia and being able to make a push for a top guy like Sheets or captain cheeseburger.

Well, keep in mind, with Crede's latest injury, I don't see him being resigned. And with Floyd/Danks/Quentin/Ramirez, there is money available. It's just a question of where they want to go with Thome, Griffey, etc.

If Freddy was ready he'd be the best option. Better than getting a bad contract like Byrd or Washburn. Yet I don't think Freddy can give the sox 6, 7 innings now. I don't know about trying SP's from the minors. That sounds like a lesson in using up the bullpen. But I see a bad contract coming the sox way.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
For the love of God people, don't talk about stretching out Carrasco, Russell, or MacDougal; searching the waiver wire; throwing Broadway out as the 5th starter; or signing Garcia. Do you want to lose?

A one-pitch pitcher in a playoff race? Hell no. At least Egbert has a good change to go along with his poor FB.

Poreda would be my choice to replace Boner Logan though. That dude can't get to Charlotte fast enough.

My choices:

Link/Rodriguez up for Wise

Logan down, Poreda up as a LOOGY

Egbert/Broadway/Whisler? up as a 5th starter until we see if Freddy Garcia is ready to come back

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)
AJ Burnett get through waivers?

I doubt it. The only players I can see getting through waivers are guys that are either 1) really, really, really good and on contending teams that every GM knows won't be traded, 2) really, really bad, or 3) mediocre with horrible contracts. AJ's upside I think takes him out of all three categories.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:15 PM)
I would say it should be Poreda. With the sink and the velocity, you rely on stuff in the dog days of Summer over bringing up another finesse pitcher.

Rongey said this morning (granted, this was before our desparate need for another starter) that the Sox are not ready to start the timer on Poreda

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
A one-pitch pitcher in a playoff race? Hell no. At least Egbert has a good change to go along with his poor FB.

Poreda would be my choice to replace Boner Logan though. That dude can't get to Charlotte fast enough.

I honestly don't even care anymore whether he throws one pitch. It's 97mph with sink. What's terrible is it's not even as if I expect him to pitch well. His peripherals with this 97mph aren't exactly eye popping. He's just, from my perspective, our best option. Egbert is pitching mediocre in the International League. Considering how well some pieces of crap are pitching for Charlotte, that's even less encouraging than Poreda.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
Damn. This throws everything totally off. Jose's contract is now unmovable this offseason (any chance they had insurance on his deal of any sort?). That makes it much more difficult to clear the salary space to go after anyone big...and to top it off, now we absolutely need to plan to have another starter next season...which means we're going to have to look to spend some money this offseason since we traded away our best candidate to take a rotation spot last offseason (Gio), unless we're really going to rush Poreda. That means it's much harder to upgrade the infield if we're on a constant budget.

That's the reason I'm most upset about this. I mean, It'll hurt not having him for the rest of the season, but the complete inability to move his contract this offseason really hurts. That's $10M that could be spent so much better, i.e. adding Orlando Hudson and a cheap reliever or something. Now, I realize it may have been very difficult to move him in a trade anyway, but this makes it impossible. At least we had to option before.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
Jarrod Washburn, Paul Byrd, and Greg Maddux are players that have cleared waivers. Washburn and Maddux could end up giving us better production than our Triple A guys, although I don't know about Paul Byrd.

Yeah, let's never speak of those three pitchers in connection with the White Sox again.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Cool, can we release OC then?

How can you even say that? Clearly, Wise is on much thinner ice then OC is. Right now, we couldn't get rid of OC or even send him down, because then we'd have Ramirez or Uribe at SS, the other at 2B, and nobody at 3B. We can do without Wise especially with Griffey and BA.

Plus, OC made up for it in a way with an RBI single the next inning. With the way AJ looked, that bunt wouldn't of made a difference.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 03:16 AM)
How can you even say that? Clearly, Wise is on much thinner ice then OC is. Right now, we couldn't get rid of OC or even send him down, because then we'd have Ramirez or Uribe at SS, the other at 2B, and nobody at 3B. We can do without Wise especially with Griffey and BA.

Plus, OC made up for it in a way with an RBI single the next inning. With the way AJ looked, that bunt wouldn't of made a difference.

It was a total joke...making fun of the poor posts calling for Wise to be sent down.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
It was a total joke...making fun of the poor posts calling for Wise to be sent down.

We need pitching help a lot more than we need 6 outfielders. Wise is the weakest link on the bench, and IMO the second-weakest link on the team behind Logan, as at least Russell can eat innings when we need it.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects