Jose Contreras Done For Year

letsgoarow

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
Ruptured Achilles Tendon....im guessing season ending

Yep...hopefully he will be okay to start next season, but it's possible he won't be.

Jose is a BIG guy, and that's a weight-bearing injury. According to Farmer, he will be out for one year...so that MIGHT be the end of his White Sox career.

At best, he would be back at the All-Star break. So HUGE questions for KW and the future (both short and long-term) of this team. Do you take the risk and go for broke this year and trade Fields/Poreda, etc.?

Can you possibly get a starter and reliever back at this time of the year?

I guess the bright side is that the White Sox might have an insurance policy (like they did with David Wells in 2001) to get back some of the money if Contreras is unable to pitch again...so they could still have some money to play around with, but it won't help much getting a starting pitcher through the waiver wire.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
His career may be over in Chicago.

This might take another season just to return 100% from.

Do you think that Egbert, Poreda or Broadway are coming up now?

I would say it should be Poreda. With the sink and the velocity, you rely on stuff in the dog days of Summer over bringing up another finesse pitcher.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
His career may be over in Chicago.

This might take another season just to return 100% from.

Do you think that Egbert, Poreda or Broadway are coming up now?

I don't think we'll see Egbert. Due to his experience last season, PROBABLY Broadway...although he would definitely be on a very short leash.

This is another area that the Masset trade kills us...he might have been our best back-up starter.

I don't know what they'll do...it's a little late in the season to stretch out Mike MacDougal and make him a starter again, but they have to consider everything.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
I don't know what they'll do...it's a little late in the season to stretch out Mike MacDougal and make him a starter again, but they have to consider everything.

So, instead of s*** on a cracker once in awhile, you want a whole steaming plate-full huh? ;)

That blows for Jose, and the worst part is even if he does ever come back from this injury, he probably will never be the same because injuries like this have a tendency to completely mess up a pitchers mechanics. That is terrible news for him, and I wish him the best.

Maybe if everything goes as planned, we could see him next season around the all-star break trying to make a comeback.

I wouldn't mind seeing DJ Carrasco as the 5th starter if he can keep pitching like he has. He is a starter by trait. If not, I say we go with Broadway. But if we go the route with DJ as the starter, I would personally not mind seeing MacDougal getting one more chance.

Edited by BearSox

This sucks and I was one of Jose's biggest critics. He was looking pretty sharp in the first couple innings (good velocity and nice command for someone who missed a couple starts). The Sox are definitely going to miss a 'healthy' Contreras in the rotation (note I say 'healthy'). I'm not sure where they go now but it could very well be Carassco. Ozzie seems to really like him, but another option would be Egbert.

I can't imagine they'd call up Poreda to start, but I could be wrong. I say that because I don't think he's ready to contribute as a starter, however, I think he could make an impact out of the pen.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
People here arent upset enough about this

I totally would have preferred Contreras over Vazquez in one playoff game.

More of a big game pitcher. And frankly, just a better yr so far than Vaz.

Which is not saying much, I know.

I'm very upset about this, and I agree with you.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
People here arent upset enough about this

I totally would have preferred Contreras over Vazquez in one playoff game.

More of a big game pitcher. And frankly, just a better yr so far than Vaz.

Which is not saying much, I know.

How upset would you like us to be? Im sure everyone would love the option of having a healthy contreras vs a healthy vazquez in the playoffs, but it doesnt matter. Contreras is done

People are discussing replacements here, not laughing because Contreras is done for the year

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:32 PM)
Well, there goes the Sox' best pitcher and probably the season with him.

We don't need a fifth starter, we already have one--Vazquez. The Sox need a one or two to replace Contreras. Maybe a three.....

When healthy, yes....he was the best pitcher in MLB for four-five months in 05 and 06, and one of the best the first couple of months this season. His velocity was back up at 93-94.

When he was on, and his fastball was in the mid 90's (pushing 96-97), he was working at a faster pace,and his forkball was on, he was a sight to watch.

Unfortunately, we're down at least one starter right now...with not much help in sight and very little to use as trade bait.

QUOTE (retro1983hat @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:39 PM)
How is a guy a professional athlete, come over to America on a raft and be so ridiculous looking every ground ball to the first baseman. I feel bad he got hurt, but why is he so uncoordinated?

didnt he defect after an international game by staying behind? I dont think Contreras floated over to the US

Damn. This throws everything totally off. Jose's contract is now unmovable this offseason (any chance they had insurance on his deal of any sort?). That makes it much more difficult to clear the salary space to go after anyone big...and to top it off, now we absolutely need to plan to have another starter next season...which means we're going to have to look to spend some money this offseason since we traded away our best candidate to take a rotation spot last offseason (Gio), unless we're really going to rush Poreda. That means it's much harder to upgrade the infield if we're on a constant budget.

Not to mention how much this hurts this year's chances. Richard and Poreda both had solid games last night at least.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
For all those clamoring for DJ Carrasco as a stater, make sure to pay some heed to his numbers last year in AAA...

I know, I know, he's pitching well now at the major league level...so maybe they will go with him...but with a very short leash, shorter than Richard had.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/D.J.-Carrasco.shtml

I'd rather look at his stats from 05 when he was a starter for KC.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
Damn. This throws everything totally off. Jose's contract is now unmovable this offseason (any chance they had insurance on his deal of any sort?). That makes it much more difficult to clear the salary space to go after anyone big...and to top it off, now we absolutely need to plan to have another starter next season...which means we're going to have to look to spend some money this offseason since we traded away our best candidate to take a rotation spot last offseason (Gio), unless we're really going to rush Poreda. That means it's much harder to upgrade the infield if we're on a constant budget.

Not to mention how much this hurts this year's chances. Richard and Poreda both had solid games last night at least.

They did for David Wells' contract in 2001. I know that for a fact. I'm pretty sure it is standard operating procedure with older MLB pitchers. I don't know the exact amount of "compensation/subsidy" we would get back if Jose doesn't play next year...I'm thinking it's around 50-60%.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 12:32 AM)
Well, there goes the Sox' best pitcher and probably the season with him.

I hate to see this with Contreras, as he's had a very good career with the Sox. But to say he's better than Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd is simply living in the past.