Richard going back up...

JPN366

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he starts, then we are just stupid. If he's called up for Wise, then that's fine and I'll eat my crow and say it makes sense because we need the extra arm, but I think enough was seen of Richard to say, if nothing else, that he isn't going to be ready to start in 2008 for a team in the race.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 11:25 PM)
Where the hell is Poreda????????

They must think his secondary stuff has not progressed enough for him to pitch in the major leagues, and although I haven't seen him pitch, I would guess that is a fair concern.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 04:25 AM)
Where the hell is Poreda????????

A friend heard today that the Sox don't want to start his arb clock this season. I think the only way Richard can get called up is if someone goes on the DL. There were rumblings yesterday that Matt Thornton's back is in terrible shape.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 11:26 PM)
A friend heard today that the Sox don't want to start his arb clock this season.

That would be shocking. If we had our 2007 record at this point right now, I'd get that, but we're in a pennant race, so call him up if he can help. Going on the cheap would shock me, I thought this organization had put those days in the past with our payrolls the last few years.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)
If the Sox call up Poreda on September 1st, and he stays on until the 30th, does his clock start?

As far as I understand, the clock starts if you're on the 25 man roster from April through Sept 1st or if you're on the expanded roster after Sept 1st.

If a player is added to the 25 man roster at any time during the regular season it will count towards his service time. If They call up Poreda on the 1st of September and he plays through the end of the season his service number will sit at 0.031 because he will have been on the 25 man roster for 31 days. Once a player's service number reaches of 0.172 (172 days on the 25 man roster) it switches over to 1. A player can not earn anymore than 1 year of service time in a given season so if Poreda goes into next year with a service number of .031 breaks ST with the big club and stays in the majors for the entire season his number will be 1.031 going into '10.

The whole 'starting the clock' business is a crock of s***, if they call him up now he can only earn like 46 days of service so if he spent any less than 126 days with the big club next year he still wouldn't have a year of service time and once he becomes a full time major leaguer that .046 number means absolutely nothing since you can only earn a year of service in a given season.

Once a player hits 3 years of service they become eligible for arbitration (unless they're a super 2 player) and once they hit 6 they become eligible for free agency.

In conclusion, I don't buy it. If they don't want to call up Poreda then it's because they don't think he's ready, not because they're worried about the proverbial clock.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:00 AM)
Is there a valid source?

I heard on the Knights broadcast he was called up, if that is what you're asking. That is why he was scratched from his start with Charlotte tonight.

Edited by JPN366

My guess is that Broadway starts tomorrow, then after the game is optioned back to Charlotte and Richard pitches in that spot next time through the order. With Clayton going up, Charlotte is short a starting pitcher. So I doubt any relievers or Wise will go to Charlotte. Unless somebody is going on the DL.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 02:24 AM)
My guess is that Broadway starts tomorrow, then after the game is optioned back to Charlotte and Richard pitches in that spot next time through the order. With Clayton going up, Charlotte is short a starting pitcher. So I doubt any relievers or Wise will go to Charlotte. Unless somebody is going on the DL.

It could be they're just taking it game-by-game depending on our place in the standings and which team matches up better with L/R and their respective pitching styles. I think OG and KW decided with Linebrink's uncertain status, it was better to conserve Carrasco for the bullpen to use 2-4 times per week, rather than just one start every 5-6 days (also taking into consideration there are at least 3 skipped starts for the 5 hole down the stretch).